• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Paul Corfield RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

radamfi

Established Member
Paul Corfield, well known contributor to several transport forums and groups for many years, including here as plcd1, has died. He was a manager at London Underground and was heavily involved in ticket gates and the early days of Oyster.

There is a discussion on his Flickr page

https://www.flickr.com/photos/24759744@N02/48133431628/

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Paul Corfield, well known contributor to several transport forums and groups for many years, including here as plcd1, has died. He was a manager at London Underground and was heavily involved in ticket gates and the early days of Oyster.

There is a discussion on his Flickr page

https://www.flickr.com/photos/24759744@N02/48133431628/

Very sorry to hear that.

Paul was a former Newcastle resident during the early/mid 80s IIRC and was good for a good conversation on subjects like the T&W Metro and the like. As a former resident too, I had a few discussions with him on here but also erstwhile Yahoo Groups etc. We differed on some opinions but I did respect his views.

A sad loss and, naturally, condolences to his nearest and dearest.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Sad news.

A contributor to London Reconnections, as “Walthamstow Writer”, I expect quite a few members have seen his interesting contributions over there.

radamfi

Established Member
Sad news.

A contributor to London Reconnections, as “Walthamstow Writer”, I expect quite a few members have seen his interesting contributions over there.

Tribute on there now

https://www.londonreconnections.com/2019/goodbye-to-a-friend-plcd/

It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of Paul Corfield (PLCD), LR author (as Walthamstow Writer) and invaluable member of our Editorial Team.

Paul will have been known to many of you as ‘plcd’. In both his articles and his comments, he was a vital part of our community.

Few people could parse TfL reports and spreadsheets as well as Paul. Fewer still had both the background knowledge – Paul had a long career at TfL – and analytical (and suitably suspicious!) mind to spot the hidden nuggets within.

For every public contribution Paul made to this site, he made at least ten behind the scenes. There is not a member of the LR team who has not, at some point, found themselves asking Paul for his help. Not once did he ever refuse.

We will all miss him greatly and our thoughts and prayers are with his loved ones at this time

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Paul (@plcd1) was an absolutely fantastic contributor and I especially remember his postings from his days on Usenet newsgroups.

[.n]

I too remember him first from uk.railway / uk.transport.london, condolences to his family

Last edited:

Antman

Established Member
I didn't know Paul personally although I recognise his name from various forums, something like this is awful enough anyway but I read somewhere else that he was just 54 years old.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.