• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Paying for BVE

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisA

One of the many joys of BVE is that fact it's free. But people ask for release dates, (which are often delayed) and sometimes the routes are a real disappointment. We can't blame the authors (because after all train spotters do have social lives too, believe it or not)! But if an author could offer a very realistic non-fictional and full length route, with a relese date which would be kept and regular updates, would you be prepared to pay for it?

(And no, i'm not carrying out market research!)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member
As you have said yourself, authors have to do it in their spare time and they do not know if something personal may happen which could make them stay away from a couputer, such as a friends illness, an illness of their own, a family tragedy etc. Mackoy also forbids the retail of anything to do with BVE (although I'm not sure how the situation stands with YKTrain as that uses a lot of BVE software...).

As for you not liking any particular routes, why not make your own. This way, you can make it as realistic as you like! If you don't make routes yourself, you can't really say you don't like a route as you may not be able to do anything near as good! If you say you don't have any spare time, make time - the current BVE coders have to!

Tom B

Established Member
The whole ethos of the BVE community is that it's free : you don't have to pay a penny for it. Many years ago (2001 I think) someone said they were compiling an addon pack to sell for BVE - they were shot down within hours.

ChrisA

Coxster said:
As for you not liking any particular routes, why not make your own.

I wouldn't know where to start, or what programme to use or how to use it!

I'd like to make one sometime, i suppose i can't really complain about other peoples routes without making my own. I imagaine they're very time consuming things, and i don't really have a lot of spare time with A Level's and that.

The Snap

Established Member
I would not be prepared to pay for it, the only reason I want BVE was because I had to buy MSTS! I love BVE, and making it payware would be disastrous, IMO! :shock: :D

richa2002

Established Member
I would pay a small amount for a decent loco (like the 37) but I wouldn't pay just for the author to have a deadline :?

Tom B

Established Member
ChrisA said:
I wouldn't know where to start, or what programme to use or how to use it!

It's program, and you can use any normal editor like vi, emacs or (if you must) notepad. Some people also prefer to use a spreadsheet for CSV files which does work.

ChrisA said:
i don't really have a lot of spare time with A Level's and that.

Me neither, which is why the Picc has moved approximately 1mm since the last release a month or so ago.

Coxster

Established Member
Richard Armstrong said:
I would pay a small amount for a decent loco (like the 37) but I wouldn't pay just for the author to have a deadline :?
Despite the author of BVE forbidding such actions?

ChrisCooper

Established Member
It's not like paying for things would guarentee quality or a particular deadline. You only have to look at payed for MSTS add-ons to see that most give very loose deadlines, and many end up with further delays, and often they arn't up to the quality of the free stuff anyway. Most improvements in quality, quantity and/or speed of development are down to the fact that payed for add-ons usually have a bigger team working on them that free stuff which is often produced by an individual, so it's not suprising they can either work quicker or produce more or make what they do higher quality.

Tom B

Established Member
ChrisCooper said:
It's not like paying for things would guarentee quality or a particular deadline. You only have to look at payed for MSTS add-ons to see that most give very loose deadlines, and many end up with further delays, and often they arn't up to the quality of the free stuff anyway. Most improvements in quality, quantity and/or speed of development are down to the fact that payed for add-ons usually have a bigger team working on them that free stuff which is often produced by an individual, so it's not suprising they can either work quicker or produce more or make what they do higher quality.

^ I agree. When it's free you are much more likely to get people helping by giving objects, reference material etc - when it's a paid thing people will want their cut before giving stuff away.

eezypeazy

There are "traditional" railway modellers who "scratchbuild" everything in their layouts.... equally, there are traditional railway modellers who prefer to use commercially-available kits to produce equally excellent layouts.

Personally, I would liken BVE developers to the scratchbuilders, and M$T$ers to the commercial kit-users...

This is not to denegrate the work of either.... for me, it just clarifies the difference....

If Mackoy was ever to allow commercial development of add-ons, it would simply move part of the community from one camp into the other....

(Yes, I know my analogy ignores those scratchbuilders who either build to order or later sell their layouts; but they aren't using other people's work without permission, which would be the case if someone attempted to sell BVE at the moment).

So, we might as well keep it all free...

With regard to developers and deadlines, we've got to realise that, at the end of the day, BVE is just a hobby. Yes, I would love to have the entire UK rail network modelled to the highest possible standard, but it's never going to happen, whether BVE is paid for or not. As someone who's only been involved in route developing for a year, I've come to realise that BVE modelling improves with practice, but practice takes time. So, my philosophy is, I publish deadlines for myself, but I try to set deadlines that I can keep; I don't make public details about routes I may build at some point in the future, only routes that I am building; I share some of my BVE objects via my website, because I think that a library of objects can help the developer community (and hence route availability) to grow, but I encourage the development of new objects, because variety is the spice of BVE; and I respect all route developers, regardless of the quality of their work, because we all have to start somewhere, and we can all encourage each other to improve our skills over time....

Regards

eezypeazy

lev441

ChrisA said:
One of the many joys of BVE is that fact it's free. But people ask for release dates, (which are often delayed) and sometimes the routes are a real disappointment. We can't blame the authors (because after all train spotters do have social lives too, believe it or not)! But if an author could offer a very realistic non-fictional and full length route, with a relese date which would be kept and regular updates, would you be prepared to pay for it?

(And no, i'm not carrying out market research!)

You have to remeber that many add on's for Msts get heavily delayed... For example, the London to York white rose add on back had been delayed months and months... and has now even been split into two!!

Status
Not open for further replies.