• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Paying guard with rail travel vouchers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstrat

If you buy a ticket on board, can you pay with rail travel vouchers?

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
If you buy a ticket on board, can you pay with rail travel vouchers?

Cheers

I've had people pay me with vouchers before, I've accepted them, and paid them in at the end of the shift. The cash office has never said owt, neither has management, so I assume it must be ok.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
Yes you can, they are a valid method of payment just like travel tokens. Vouchers are treated the same as travel warrants.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
:roll: Interesting. Had them refused on a Trans Pennine Express train from Edinburgh to Manchester (was going to use them to pay for a 1st class upgrade on a Saturday).

Trainbuff

You can pay with these. However, my company policy says that no change is given.Train manager on network

island

Veteran Member
:roll: Interesting. Had them refused on a Trans Pennine Express train from Edinburgh to Manchester (was going to use them to pay for a 1st class upgrade on a Saturday).

I would put that down to FTPE being odd rather than anything else.

theblackwatch

Established Member
I've used them before on the train myself - given that my local station has no ticket office, I haven't much option!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If you write to TPE about your experience, you'll probably get another voucher to add to the previous one. :lol:

You could then bring them on a TPE train and if refused again say "well, read this letter... do you want me to get another voucher to add to these?" ;)

rail-britain

Established Member
Normally they should only be accepted at a manned station, as per the details on the reverse
However, if the station is unmanned then the on-board staff can accept them

I suspect with FPTE the staff have been advised not to accept them, as the stations all have booking offices which would be open, but may accept them if they can confirm the office was closed or instructed by the staff to present them on-train

sheff1

Established Member
I suspect with FPTE the staff have been advised not to accept them, as the stations all have booking offices which would be open, but may accept them if they can confirm the office was closed or instructed by the staff to present them on-train

Plenty of stations served by FTPE do not have booking offices at all, never mind ones which are open. Edinburgh, though, clearly does not fall in that category.

TEW

Established Member
If you had boarded at a manned station and were buying a full price ticket on board I can't see why they shouldn't be accepted. It's no different to paying with cash, and if it was your only form of payment it would have to be accepted.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Plenty of stations served by FTPE do not have booking offices at all, never mind ones which are open. Edinburgh, though, clearly does not fall in that category.
Doesn't that depend on which of the capital's stations a passenger would be using?
Waverley and Haymarket are both well staffed but some of the others not so.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Normally they should only be accepted at a manned station, as per the details on the reverse
However, if the station is unmanned then the on-board staff can accept them

We have NOT been told not to accept them. I can see no reason why this Guard did not accept the vouchers. The only policy we adhere to is the standard "buy before you board" policy. So if someone boarded at Edinburgh they would probably be charged the Standard Full Fare on board, but there is nothing stopping them paying for that fare with the travel vouchers.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Because they area a PITA to account for, much easier to assume the customer is ignorant of the rules and procedures etc?

That could be one reason, however we hardly ever see them on board at all so it may have been the case that this person had not actually seen one before and had no idea what they were or what to do with them. Last time I looked at one, it did say they could be used at ticket offices - but made no mention of on board.

dstrat

Thanks all, appreciated.

For those that care, on the back it says -

"You can use this voucher at any station or rail-appointed Travel Agent as full or part payment for travel on services of the principal Train Compaines subject to any notes show overleaf".

On the other side it says 'issued subject to the National Conditions of Carriage'.

i tried to put one through on the advantix as part payment with a credit card but it wouldnt allow it the passenger ended up keeping the voucher

sheff1

Established Member
Originally Posted by sheff1
Doesn't that depend on which of the capital's stations a passenger would be using?
Waverley and Haymarket are both well staffed but some of the others not so.

I didn't think FTPE served any of the other Edinburgh stations ?

CarterUSM

Established Member
i tried to put one through on the advantix as part payment with a credit card but it wouldnt allow it the passenger ended up keeping the voucher

Goes through as a warrant, type number 188. Always do the credit card part first though. Although, I have never done a split payment with card and voucher, only card and cash. We used to put vouchers through as cash, but no longer.

janb

To quote The Manual,

Travel Vouchers may also be used to pay on-train. The ticket range which the customer can buy on the train may be restricted or subject to a penalty fare, depending on the circumstances, but the Travel Voucher can be used to pay for whatever ticket the customer is being sold on the train. Customers cannot receive any change when the value of the tickets purchased is less than the value of voucher(s) tendered.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Just to clarify, I already had a standard off-peak return ticket valid from Edinburgh to Manchester, I was just going to use the (£10) rail voucher to pay for a 1st class upgrade (this on a Saturday).

Status
Not open for further replies.