• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

PC gone up the shoot...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom B

Established Member
jonb said:
Mmm, you have a point - most 15-year olds had difficulty remembering their password for more than a week...

Tell me about it.....Thank god they can change it.....

Or more likely, that their fellow 15-year old will reset it for them if bribed (that would be me ;)).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

Gareth, I am very good with PCs, part of this server is built by myself!

I'll have a new PC by Friday.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
I'm good with pc's yay! and I turned 16 the other month and I CAN remember my passwords!
I'm more a hardware person but software isn't a hard thing to master. Had to install a new motherboard for someone yesterday. And expect to do my own sometime in august hopefully. (hopes my bosses pay me a nice sum of cash very soon!)

Tom B

Established Member
Fixing hardware is easy :D *thump* *bang* *wallop*!

T

Tom

Chipsets and shorted motherboards are not easy to fix! ;)

Anyway - here's my new PC:
  • Intel Pentium 4 3GHz Processor
  • 512GBMB PC3200 DDR RAM
  • 3.5" Floppy Disk Drive
  • On-board 10/100/1000 M/Bit Network Adapter
  • ATX Midi Tower Case
  • MSI 865 Neo2 PFS Motherboard
  • 80GB IDE 7200rpm Hard Disk Drive
  • 6 x USB 2.0 Ports
  • Microsoft Windows eXPerience Home OEM CD
  • 256MB GeForce FX6600 Graphics Card

:)

Guinness

Established Member
tubechallenger said:
Chipsets and shorted motherboards are not easy to fix! ;)

Anyway - here's my new PC:
  • Intel Pentium 4 3GHz Processor
  • 512GBMB PC3200 DDR RAM
  • 3.5" Floppy Disk Drive
  • On-board 10/100/1000 M/Bit Network Adapter
  • ATX Midi Tower Case
  • MSI 865 Neo2 PFS Motherboard
  • 80GB IDE 7200rpm Hard Disk Drive
  • 6 x USB 2.0 Ports
  • Microsoft Windows eXPerience Home OEM CD
  • 256 Geforce FX6600 Graphics Card

:)

Cost? :)

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Intel........ Intel.... how could you?
I'm about to build a new AMD Athlon Xp 3200+ system for £250 - well i haven't added on graphics and that yet lol!

T

Tom

Intel is far better when it comes to reliability, you can't overclock AMD's much, they already are overclocked!

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Intel aren't about reliablity, they're about taking over the world with microsoft! AMD even sued intel over that not too long ago! What you mean you can't clock AMD's much - every clocker I know uses AMD. Intel are too complicated to clock anyway....
AMD's are also easier to fit/remove with their simple drop in chip, clip on the heatsink, screw in a fan and go... I spent 15 minutes yesterday trying to unbolt a celeron to transfer to another motherboard... instead I gave up and put a slightly slower one in.
AMD are stable, AMD are reliable, AMD are brilliant for clocking should you need to.... AMD is everything intel isn't!

T

Tom

My processor (new one) has hyperthreading, something AMD hardly have. ;)

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
woo hyperthreading - just a big word imho. maybe intel have it, just means AMD don't need it. I could take an average 2600+ athlon xp barton core - thats quite a low clock speed and easily beat any intel pentium 4 3Ghz processor - thats why AMD are the best with me.
Also I own a duron 1Ghz and a celeron 2.6Ghz - guess which is faster - the AMD duron - shame the motherboard has had it's day!

T

Tom

1.2GHz in an Apple, hyperthread as default, instant 4GHz-ish.

T

Tom

Adding on to that, Celeron's are rubbish, my old 1.7GHz is more like a 25MHz.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
thats different again.... do apple still use motorola cpu's?
One credit to intel though is my old 486DX 50Mhz - that was a beauty! Also having seen a pentium 4 do 5.2Ghz with alot of cooling it shows you can do what any AMD can do.
I would love to own an AMD T-bred A (clocker's dream of a cpu!) but don't see that happening lol!

and ye celeron's are rubbish - i have seen on clocked quite well before mind!

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
since when did they use intel? I heard they were switching to intel to make things cheaper.... :shock:

T

Tom

They are expensive in the first place, I believe my Mac uses a Motorola CPU, it was bought about three quarters of a year ago.

Guinness

Established Member
AMD Athlon - Fair better than Intel (Never tried Intel though) ;)

T

Tom

How can you say AMD is better than Intel, if you've never tried it? :P

Guinness

Established Member
tubechallenger said:
How can you say AMD is better than Intel, if you've never tried it? :P

I'm not really sure. Some Article I read told me that Intel Sucks that persuaded me :lol:.

tubechallenger said:
Adding on to that, Celeron's are rubbish, my old 1.7GHz is more like a 25MHz.

TBF, my Celery Prosessor is 2.6 Ghz and hasn't done to badly :shock:

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Put it this way when I've worked with a 2.5Ghz Celeron and then switched to a 1Ghz AMD Duron and find the duron faster....... what does that suggest for intel?

T

Tom

Celeron's are rubbish? (plus, you'd be using a different PC most likely, as motherboards are not compatible)

T

Tom

Here is my first post on the new machine, it is beautiful. BVE at 50fps~... mmmmmm....

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Hmm just wait till I get my new AMD super monster lol, we'll see what that outputs on BVE4 eh!

Status
Not open for further replies.