• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

PC problem , anyone help ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stantheman

On Moderation
I have an ancient laptop , bought about 10 years ago . The power died so I assumed it was the battery . I purchased a replacement , and PC worked fine . However after a week it died again and refuses to power up . Assuming my new battery is OK , anyone got any ideas I could try as all the repair shops are shut ? I have a vast collection of railway and other pics on it , most of them are on Flickr or photobucket as well .

If it has permanently died , will a repair shop be able to back them up onto some kind of removable drive ?

Any help appreciated , I am an oldie and no PC whizz kid

Stanley

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
If it has permanently died , will a repair shop be able to back them up onto some kind of removable drive ?
Unless you've encrypted the drive then almost certainly, yes.
Assuming my new battery is OK , anyone got any ideas I could try as all the repair shops are shut ?
Sometimes this works: Remove the battery and unplug the charger. Leave it a good 30 minutes to an hour. Without reconnecting the battery or charger, press and hold the power button for a minute. Leave it another few minutes, then put the battery back in and put it to charge. Leave it 30 minutes to ensure a decent charge level then try booting it up again.

I had a laptop that I couldn't get to power up and came across this advice. I thought it was complete and total bunk but gave it a shot (didn't have anything to lose) and it worked. Not saying it will necessarily work for you, but what have you got to lose by trying?

GB

Established Member
Does it power up if you take out the battery and just use AC? Is the AC charger working?

ComUtoR

Established Member
Check the CMOS battery
Check the Memory

Does the HD spin
Does the fan spin

Any lights or completely DOA ?

Howardh

Established Member
I had a laptop failure and removed the hard drive, and connected it to my pc by removing the PC's drive and replacing with the laptop drive. Both were Windows 7 and it worked! So I was able to download my files and bookmarks onto USB stick, then replace everything back.

However before attempting that procedure watch you-tube videos about how to do it and precautions that are necessary. But of course a decent shop will recover those files for a price and without the worry.

soccermad

when my wife's laptop hard drive refused to boot up, we replaced the hard drive and put the old drive into an external caddy (£8 off ebay including the required USB cable)
We were then able to save the files from the old drive back to the new drive - phew !!!!

AndrewE

Established Member
I was surprised to find that even the battery pack has its own computer (i.e. control chip) in it, and when you put a new battery in there is a software "handshake" needed, or else the computer just keeps on telling you (indirectly) that the battery has failed to take a charge. This happened to me when I bought and fitted a brand-new original manufacturer's replacement battery for a laptop. It took me ages to find the instructions for telling the 2 bits to reset themselves, but it worked eventually.
The things are too damned clever, and can lock themselves into shutting down to protect you even if the problem has been dealt with, hence najaB's method of giving it a punch on the nose

Lewlew

Have you tried a different plug socket? Or the fuse in the charger may have blown

najaB

Veteran Member
I had a laptop failure and removed the hard drive, and connected it to my pc by removing the PC's drive and replacing with the laptop drive.
when my wife's laptop hard drive refused to boot up, we replaced the hard drive and put the old drive into an external caddy (£8 off ebay including the required USB cable)
I agree that it's a reasonably straightforward thing to do, but since @stantheman is admittedly not the most technically adept, and assuming that there aren't any files that are needed urgently, waiting it out and then taking the laptop to a computer shop is the safest course of action. Since, as noted,
...a decent shop will recover those files for a price and without the worry.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Do you own a voltmeter? If so, you could check the laptop-end of the power lead, to check if that it is working.

If not, you may (depending on the acuity of your hearing) be able to hear a subtle whine or buzz when you plug in the power lead, and hold the transformer to your ear. If there's definitely no such noise when you switch the mains on, that indicates that the power lead's transformer is wither not getting power, or is bust. If you do hear a buzz, it should change pitch slightly when you plug it into the laptop (as the laptop starts charging its battery).

hooverboy

On Moderation
I have an ancient laptop , bought about 10 years ago . The power died so I assumed it was the battery . I purchased a replacement , and PC worked fine . However after a week it died again and refuses to power up . Assuming my new battery is OK , anyone got any ideas I could try as all the repair shops are shut ? I have a vast collection of railway and other pics on it , most of them are on Flickr or photobucket as well .

Stanley
quick question.

did you buy a genuine battery or some cheapo knock off chinese copy from amazon?
some laptops have internal software in the pc AND the battery.the laptop can sometimes detect it isn't legit and prevent charge-ups.

swj99

I've only got limited experience of laptops. My neighbour gave me an old Dell XP thing he would have otherwise thrown away. I didn't keep it long because my sister needed something with Excel on so I lent it to her. Needless to say, I bet I won't see it again.
Anyway, could it be the socket in the laptop where the charging plug goes in ? I notice you said the new battery lasted a week, so I'd guess it may have taken some charge during that time, because I'm sure even a fully charged battery would struggle to power a laptop for a whole week without getting any charge at all. I can't remember if mine had a charging light on the laptop itself. I know it had a green one on the charger.

It would only take a dry solder joint on the socket in the back of the laptop to cause an intermittent failure, but without knowing the intricacies of your actual computer, I don't know how you're meant to tell if it's getting a charge or not. I suppose you could start by carefully testing the output of the charger using a voltmeter. Assuming you get a decent reading there, then maybe you could remove the battery and check the terminals it connects to, with the charger plugged in and powered up, to give you an idea if the charge is getting into the laptop itself.

hooverboy

On Moderation
I've only got limited experience of laptops. My neighbour gave me an old Dell XP thing he would have otherwise thrown away. I didn't keep it long because my sister needed something with Excel on so I lent it to her. Needless to say, I bet I won't see it again.
Anyway, could it be the socket in the laptop where the charging plug goes in ? I notice you said the new battery lasted a week, so I'd guess it may have taken some charge during that time, because I'm sure even a fully charged battery would struggle to power a laptop for a whole week without getting any charge at all. I can't remember if mine had a charging light on the laptop itself. I know it had a green one on the charger.

It would only take a dry solder joint on the socket in the back of the laptop to cause an intermittent failure, but without knowing the intricacies of your actual computer, I don't know how you're meant to tell if it's getting a charge or not. I suppose you could start by carefully testing the output of the charger using a voltmeter. Assuming you get a decent reading there, then maybe you could remove the battery and check the terminals it connects to, with the charger plugged in and powered up, to give you an idea if the charge is getting into the laptop itself.
that's certainly a possibility, or an incorrect charger.
they would typically be either 12v or 19v, but some chargers output 19.5v, again if using a wrong type,then the PC would read this as over/under voltage and shut off the charging mechanism.
Also the polarity of the charger should be checked.most are outside ring "earth",but you do get the odd type where that polarity is reversed.

a bad joint or connection is also another possibility.
a voltmeter would confirm voltage to the end of the PSU cable, but not its performance under load.

you would probably need some sort of electronic schematic to check the laptop pc connector though, by setting the voltmeter to resistance and running a continuity check you could ascertain if the charging circuit was operating correctly or if something like a capacitor ,regulator or varistor had blown.
or an open circuit(infinite/very high resistance )if you have a dodgy connector.
The only other way would be open the laptop up and visually inspect the solder joints.

first port of call I would try substituting the psu and battery for known genuine working parts before tearing anyting to bits....if you know anyone with a similar laptop design that you can borrow the bits for a while, do that first, then scout ebay or gumtree for any parts that might be floating around on there.

considering an new psu or battery is likely to set you back £20-30 each , you really need to keep an eye on cost. you can buy a far more powerful generic chromebook type thing for less that £100 new these days, and you can also buy ex business hand me downs(core i3/i5) for about £50 on auction sites, so if you can't fix for less than that, then it's time to buy another one..

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
There have been a lot of really good suggestions on this thread, but just to remind everyone:
So I don't know how practical it is to suggest opening up the laptop and poking around. :)

hooverboy

On Moderation
There have been a lot of really good suggestions on this thread, but just to remind everyone:

So I don't know how practical it is to suggest opening up the laptop and poking around. :)
to be honest it's quite fiddly and you risk breaking things if you don't know what you are doing.

Basic stuff like adding RAM,and replacing batteries or screens is not usually an issue,hard drives are OK to replace on most laptops(not netbooks).Playing around with the innards is not for the faint-hearted.
your best bet is as I suggested before.forage around/borrow a working genuine part(psu and battery),and try substituting one part at a time.

if neither works, then get a new laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.