• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

PC Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordy

Established Member
Hi

Wonder if anyone can help, theres a problem with my PC, when I log on, there is no desktop or start menu, just a background. I have tried running explorer.exe from task manager (the only way I can do anything), but the start menu just briefly appeares before disappearing again. Have run a full AVG virus scan, and adaware scan, neither found anything.

Can anyone help?

Jordy

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordy

Established Member
Yes:

wdfmgr.exe
svchost.exe
firefox.exe
avgupsvc.exe
avgamsvr.exe
alg.exe
spoolsv.exe
svchost.exe (multiple times)
Isass.ese
services.exe
winlogon.exe
csrss.exe
Jordy says:
smss.exe
vsmon.exe
System
System Idle Process

Craig

Established Member
The only one that looks suspicious is Isass.ese see if you can disable it using the system configuration utility (start>run>msconfig), along with any other unnecessary processes.

Craig

Established Member
Does it start with an I or an L? lsass.exe is a windows process, isass.exe could be a virus and you should disable it.

devon_metro

Established Member
The way to tell is click end process and if it warns you about possible damage etc, then it is the windows program, i also thought it was the virus on my computer. Turned out not to be.

EDIT

Have you had any recent computer failures that may have currupted explorer.exe? If so run scandisk.

Nick W

Established Member
Using task manager new process can you run cmd

If so then type in sfc /scannow

M

Mrs Trellis

Hello all!

I had this problem in the past and unfortunately my local computer technician was unable to fix it. He had to do some thingymajig with my hard drive but whatever he did my PC is a lot faster now!

Toodle pip!

compsci

Try pressing F8 as soon as the windows logo appears. This will make the boot menu appear.

First try the "Safe Mode" option. If this gets you to a usable desktop run system restore (Start | Accessories | System Tools) and select a date on which you know the system was ok.

If normal safe mode won't work either, select "Safe Mode Command Prompt" and then log on to the administrator account (or your own if it has administrator access). Then type C:\Windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and follow the instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.