• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Peak easement and 16-25 Railcard use question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coffeebeee

Hi

My question is for a WML to MAN journey at 8:27. Would I be able to use the virgin peak easement policy whereby I could purchase a offpeak return and travel on the above train. As I understand it the policy basically converts an offpeak to onpeak, but because the journey is before 10 and below the minimum value required for railcard use would I still be allowed to use the railcard in order to get the peak easement?
I hope that makes sense...:oops:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi

My question is for a WML to MAN journey at 8:27. Would I be able to use the virgin peak easement policy whereby I could purchase a offpeak return and travel on the above train. As I understand it the policy basically converts an offpeak to onpeak, but because the journey is before 10 and below the minimum value required for railcard use would I still be allowed to use the railcard in order to get the peak easement?
I hope that makes sense...:oops:
Welcome to the forum.

It doesn't make sense, as I think you're confused, but I know what you are asking, so we can help :)

The return fares from Wilmlsow to Manchester are all Day Returns.

Assuming you are travelling exclusively with Virgin Trains, the fares for route: "Virgin Trnsonly" are as follows:

• Anytime Day R (SDR) £6.00 (Valid any train)
  • Off Peak Day R (CDR) £4.70 (Valid after 0930)

There is no Off Peak Return, formerly Saver Return, (SVR) for this flow, and this is not to be confused with the Off Peak Day Return, formerly Cheap Day Return, (CDR) as the Virgin Trains easement is applicable to the former ticket type and not the latter.

In the past, it was easy to distinguish these products by the different names, but the names are now very similar, which makes confusion more likely. This is in line with rail industry policy on making completely different fares have a similar name in order to claim that there are only a small number of ticket types. The reality is rather different!

With a Railcard, you can get a 1/3 discount off the above fares, subject to a £12 minimum fare before 1000. As the fares above are all below £12, there is no discount before 1000.

Coffeebeee

Ahhh okay I see! Many thanks for your detailed reply.
I look forward to spending more time on the forum :)

Welcome to the forum.

It doesn't make sense, as I think you're confused, but I know what you are asking, so we can help :)

The return fares from Wilmlsow to Manchester are all Day Returns.

Assuming you are travelling exclusively with Virgin Trains, the fares for route: "Virgin Trnsonly" are as follows:

• Anytime Day R (SDR) £6.00 (Valid any train)
  • Off Peak Day R (CDR) £4.70 (Valid after 0930)

There is no Off Peak Return, formerly Saver Return, (SVR) for this flow, and this is not to be confused with the Off Peak Day Return, formerly Cheap Day Return, (CDR) as the Virgin Trains easement is applicable to the former ticket type and not the latter.

In the past, it was easy to distinguish these products by the different names, but the names are now very similar, which makes confusion more likely. This is in line with rail industry policy on making completely different fares have a similar name in order to claim that there are only a small number of ticket types. The reality is rather different!

With a Railcard, you can get a 1/3 discount off the above fares, subject to a £12 minimum fare before 1000. As the fares above are all below £12, there is no discount before 1000.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Ahhh okay I see! Many thanks for your detailed reply.
I look forward to spending more time on the forum :)
You're welcome!

Ticketing is rather more complex than perhaps some Train Companies might admit ;)

In many ways, that's a good thing for passengers, as if it was simple (ie, if any journey before 10am is a peak fare and nothing changed that) then the fares would be a LOT higher for many passengers than they are today. But the way the restrictions are communicated is often the cause of confusion.

Anyway yes, feel free to ask any more questions. You may also find that many answers (including some for issues you may not have even thought of!) are detailed in our Fares Guide.

We also run free fares workshops for people who wish to learn more 'in person', we've had 2 in Manchester, and one is planned for Sheffield in March, so if you or anyone is keen to learn more, please feel free to get in touch :)

However if you do this journey in July or August, then do use your railcard, as the 'before 10am minimum fare' rule doesn't apply.
(Not that it's related to the easement, but just saying so the OP knows!)

Status
Not open for further replies.