• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Peak / Off Peak time discovery site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Baggypants

It doesn't for me. Do you have a Railcard (other than Two Together)? As that makes it off peak at all times on VT.

could you tell me what it says is the last off peak train before 18:57 then? I've not entered any details into the site other than the start and end station and the date.

I'll try and upload a screenshot of what I'm seeing later.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Well, that facility is useless. For a start, there is no such thing as peak and off-peak "trains". There are only services which are barred for each ticket. A train which is barred for one "off-peak" ticket may well be permitted on another "off-peak" ticket.

Secondly its accuracy is rubbish for evening peak restrictions, or morning ones come to think about it. If I check for Leicester to London in the morning, it will certainly not show what are allegedly "super off-peak" trains as their explanations make out.

Assuming that the website is interpreting London to Manchester single ticket restrictions, the restriction text for the Any Permitted (other routes available) Off-Peak Single (SVS) says (only relevant parts quoted),

Restriction 9I said:
These restrictions apply MONDAY to FRIDAY. By any train on other days.

For travel FROM or VIA:
London Terminals, Milton Keynes, Watford, Stevenage, Reading, Kensington Olympia, Bedford, Luton and Luton Airport Parkway.

OUTWARD TRAVEL
Not valid on trains timed to DEPART:

LONDON EUSTON after 0429 until 0926 or after 1500 until 1845, except for Easements shown below;

NOTES:
1) Time restrictions are indicated by a restriction shown against the ticket's validity code.
2) Holders of Off-Peak ticket types SVS/SVR, which are discounted using 16-25, Senior, Disabled Persons, HM Forces and Family & Friends Railcards and Jobcentre Plus Travel Discount Card, can travel on Virgin Train services at any time, provided that all travel is on Virgin Trains services only. This easement does not apply for journeys wholly between Milton Keynes Central/Northampton and London Euston in either direction.
3) Only Senior, Disabled persons and HM Forces Railcards discounts are offered with First Class Off-Peak Tickets and, subject to time restriction, the Two Together Railcard.

Yes:

15:00 London Euston 17:07 Manchester Piccadilly 2h 7m 0 off-peak

then

15:20 London Euston 17:28 Manchester Piccadilly 2h 8m 0 peak

I seem to be getting different results to you Neil.

Attachments

• SheeplineNonsence.jpg
    SheeplineNonsence.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 37

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I seem to be getting different results to you Neil.

I seem to be getting a totally different layout to you. I'm using Chrome on a Mac - it could be a browser specific bug.

Edit: yes it's browser specific. I see the bug if I use IE on Windows. Might be worth reporting it if the OP wants.

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I'm using Chrome in Windows. Not very good when they have not done any tests on one of the most common browser + OS combination.

hassaanhc

Established Member
I'm using Chrome in Windows. Not very good when they have not done any tests on one of the most common browser + OS combination.

I'm using Chrome on a Android 4.4.2 tablet and had them all show "Off Peak", but when I clicked on check tickets I was only offered the Anytime for a 1740 (I think) departure.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Peak restrictions depend upon the combination of origin, destination, class and ticket type printed on the ticket. A train may be deemed peak under one ticket's terms and off-peak under a different ticket's terms

You can easily find the off-peak times for specific tickets on the unofficial website BRFares, which is fed by industry databases. Enter the origin and destination stations, then find the specific ticket you want. In the left hand column, the time restrictions for that ticket will be shown.

Baggypants

I got the same results as bb21, Using Firefox on Linux. I'll see if I can let thetrainline know somehow

Status
Not open for further replies.