• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Peak Restriction Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave_wm

Hi,

Can anyone answer me this?

On Friday, I need to travel from Butlers Lane to Matlock, I'll be catching the 1525 from Butlers Lane. Can I buy an Off-Peak Day Single, which according to Avantix 'By any train except those timed to depart Mondays to Fridays before 0930 or between 1530 and 1815'

Seeing as this train leaves at 1525, before the Peak Restriction, am I valid all the way to Matlock?

Thanks in advance,

David

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The general consensus appears to be that the restriction applies to trains and not journeys, and therefore you are fine on any train that is timed to depart right up to 1529, so 1525 is fine, for as long as you're on that train you are valid.

The problem is that if you have to change trains, you can't join the train until the peak period has ended!

So if the train was a through service to Matlock, you'd be valid! But as it isn't, you're only valid as far as you can get on it, which in your case isn't very far unfortunately.

In theory the ban applies even leaving Derby for Matlock at "peak" time however in reality those trains are operated by EMT therefore the guard is unlikely to think "ah yes, this is priced by XC, better charge a £4 excess".

XCs CDR pricing is an absolute farce.

You could try it anyway and the worst they can do is excess you to a SOS. The excess is £4.10 (assuming no railcards), the only train you have a potential problem is is from BHM to DBY.

Status
Not open for further replies.