• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Peak time arrival in London from Crewe from £39.70 return

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
If you need to get to London for around 9am and don't mind an early start in exchange for a much cheaper fare than with Virgin the following option is available:

04:54 Crewe to Shrewsbury (arrives 05:33)
05:52 Shrewsbury to London Marylebone (arrives 08:57)

Crewe to Shrewsbury is £19.70 for an anytime return.
Advance singles are available on any Wrexham & Shropshire from Shrewsbury to London for £10 single (or £40 return to go and come back at any time.)

That may not look an attractive option in itself because of the timings but if you consider Virgin charge you around £200 for an anytime return or £80 in advance and that Wrexham & Shropshire are know to be one of the best operators for customer service and can provide full meals on board it might look a very attractive option to some people.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I can't find an Anytime Return for Crewe -Shrewsbury, or a ticket which costs £19.70.
However there is an Off Peak Return for £14.00, which carries restriction code 8A :-

OUTWARD TRAVEL
Valid on any train.

RETURN TRAVEL
Valid on any train.

so that would bring the total cost down to £34

pemma

Veteran Member
I can't find an Anytime Return for Crewe -Shrewsbury, or a ticket which costs £19.70.

There must be bugs in the National Rail Enquiries website then but I think we already knew that. I just tried it again and it came up as £11.10 return for Crewe-Shrewsbury leaving before 9.30am!

Last edited by a moderator:

paul1609

Established Member
If you need to get to London for around 9am and don't mind an early start in exchange for a much cheaper fare than with Virgin the following option is available:

04:54 Crewe to Shrewsbury (arrives 05:33)
05:52 Shrewsbury to London Marylebone (arrives 08:57)

Crewe to Shrewsbury is £19.70 for an anytime return.
Advance singles are available on any Wrexham & Shropshire from Shrewsbury to London for £10 single (or £40 return to go and come back at any time.)

That may not look an attractive option in itself because of the timings but if you consider Virgin charge you around £200 for an anytime return or £80 in advance and that Wrexham & Shropshire are know to be one of the best operators for customer service and can provide full meals on board it might look a very attractive option to some people.

You're right it doenst look particularly attractive!
Virgin have £21 advance singles every day if you want to leave at 05.00

pemma

Veteran Member
You're right it doenst look particularly attractive!
Virgin have £21 advance singles every day if you want to leave at 05.00

Checking the Virgin Trains website for the next couple of weeks the cheapest advance available for the 05:36 Crewe-London is £82 single, on days when £10 singles are available on the Shrewsbury-London service I mentioned. In fact on the 07:17 Crewe-London service it doesn't even look like there are any advance tickets available.

paul1609

Established Member
Checking the Virgin Trains website for the next couple of weeks the cheapest advance available for the 05:36 Crewe-London is £82 single, on days when £10 singles are available on the Shrewsbury-London service I mentioned. In fact on the 07:17 Crewe-London service it doesn't even look like there are any advance tickets available.
Sorry my fault, post should have said "Virgin have £21 advances available every day frpm Wolverhampton, on the train that connects from the 0500 from Crewe saving nearly 2 hours on WSMR" In fact Monday is now more expensive but there are no £10 advance single available on WSMR either.

Status
Not open for further replies.