• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Peak times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rwhunited

I was just reading on another thread that with a railcard you can travel on some peak services with an off peak ticket, does anyone know what these may be for Euston on a Friday night as many times I have been there early but had to wait for the 7 30 Glasgow central service.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Virgin Trains offers a concession to some types of railcard-holders if the entire journey is travelled on Virgin Trains.

This means, for example, if you hold a 16-25 Railcard, you can travel on the direct Euston - Glasgow Central Virgin Trains service with an Off-Peak ticket between London Terminals and Glasgow Cen/Qst during barred hours.

Which type of railcard do you have?

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
That's fine. If your ticket is an Off-Peak Return (or single) from LONDON TERMINALS to WIGAN STATIONS ( or the reverse ) and it's discounted using your railcard, it is valid on ANY Virgin train on that route, regardless of peak time restrictions :D

Last edited:

cjohnson

The relevant text I can find in Avantix is:

Holders of Off-Peak ticket
types SVS/SVR, which are
discounted using 16-25, Senior
, Disabled Persons, HM Forces
and Family & Friends Railcards
, New Deal Photocards and
Inter-Rail (Code 70) Cards,
may use ANY Virgin_train
service, provided that the
route on the ticket is not
"Virgin Trains Only" and the
journey being made is priced
by Virgin Trains. If the
journey is not priced by
Virgin Trains then the stated
Off-Peak restictions apply.

Curiously it doesn't seem to appear in the restriction (sorry, "validity") code PDFs that are on the NR website (was looking at 5F and 9I for example).

Rwhunited

Ah right so as my ticket will be Dartford to wigan stations it will not be available to use on peak services?

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Ah right so as my ticket will be Dartford to wigan stations it will not be available to use on peak services?

Technically, no, as all travel needs to be on Virgin services. How widely this is enforced, I don't know. In future you could buy a ticket from Dartford to London and one from London to Wigan to take advantage of the railcard offer.

cjohnson

Technically, no, as all travel needs to be on Virgin services. How widely this is enforced, I don't know. In future you could buy a ticket from Dartford to London and one from London to Wigan to take advantage of the railcard offer.

Is that right? The restriction text seems to imply it's only available if the ticket is priced by Virgin; not making any reference to the train operator used?

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Is that right? The restriction text seems to imply it's only available if the ticket is priced by Virgin; not making any reference to the train operator used?

I believe it changed at the end of last year and now your entire journey needs to be on Virgin. Perhaps one of the Fare Advisors could confirm this?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The requirement for the fare to be priced by Virgin was phased out as it was impractical for the average passenger to know who prices a particular flow and therefore unenforceable. This requirement was replaced with the one requiring all travel to be on Virgin Trains instead.

The Dartford - Wigan ticket would have been fine for travelling during barred hours on Virgin under previous rules, however technically speaking it is no longer the case.

cjohnson

The requirement for the fare to be priced by Virgin was phased out as it was impractical for the average passenger to know who prices a particular flow and therefore unenforceable. This requirement was replaced with the one requiring all travel to be on Virgin Trains instead.

The Dartford - Wigan ticket would have been fine for travelling during barred hours on Virgin under previous rules, however technically speaking it is no longer the case.

So we have a documented (-ish:tucked away in the validity codes if you have the latest NFM) easement which is actually wrong, but the correct easement is available to the public... where?

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
So we have a documented (-ish:tucked away in the validity codes if you have the latest NFM) easement which is actually wrong, but the correct easement is available to the public... where?

Good question - it doesn't seem to be on the Virgin or National Rail site. However, booking engines will allow you to book Off-Peak tickets on peak trains with a railcard, and Virgin guards/barrier staff seem to know the score.

Welshman

Established Member
Good question - it doesn't seem to be on the Virgin or National Rail site. However, booking engines will allow you to book Off-Peak tickets on peak trains with a railcard, and Virgin guards/barrier staff seem to know the score.

Except this morning's conductor on the 0549 from Rhyl to London Euston!
[see thread in General Discussion section]

Status
Not open for further replies.