• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Peaks on the mainline

Status
Not open for further replies.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Is there any propect of getting a peak on the mainline as i would love to see one but can't get to any of the heritage railways that have them?

Also i think they are under represented on the mainline with most other preserved classes showing examples of main line work.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

4SRKT

Established Member
I remember how reviled Peaks were back in the day for being soooo boring. At my school back in 1984 the lunchtime Trainspotting Club was allowed to watch the nuclear flask stunt live on the school's only telly. As 46009 ploughed into the flask and blew up, one particularly impassioned EE man jumped up, punched the air and shouted "One less peak!".

Mind you, I'd be happy to take one over the North Trans-Pennine now, and think this every time I sit in a 185 :(

sprinterguy

Established Member
Is there any propect of getting a peak on the mainline as i would love to see one but can't get to any of the heritage railways that have them?

Also i think they are under represented on the mainline with most other preserved classes showing examples of main line work.
45112 was registered for use on the main line until quite recently, and 46035 (D172 "Ixion") was a long standing performer on the main line in the nineties.

I don't know whether there are any plans to put a Peak back on the main line, though.

fsmr

a preserved peak out of st pancras to leicester on the night newspaper train. Now there is an idea

Status
Not open for further replies.