• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pembroke Dock HST meet 20th August 2005!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Jim said:
FGWFan said:
If Jim plans the HST bash to Penzance, you can be sure I'll be there! Will I be the only HST fan again on it? I'd wager I will be.

From Exeter the meet will start due to shi* fares to get to Exeter, I will go on a ATW 158 to get there. Hopefully have some more people for a climb over the banks

OK. I may get an ATW service bound for Penzance or Exeter SD for that. Failing that, I'd change at BP for a Voyager down.

Let us know a date when you've got one set.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Muppet

FGWFan said:
Jim said:
FGWFan said:
If Jim plans the HST bash to Penzance, you can be sure I'll be there! Will I be the only HST fan again on it? I'd wager I will be.

From Exeter the meet will start due to shi* fares to get to Exeter, I will go on a ATW 158 to get there. Hopefully have some more people for a climb over the banks

OK. I may get an ATW service bound for Penzance or Exeter SD for that. Failing that, I'd change at BP for a Voyager down.

Let us know a date when you've got one set.

should be able to make this meet not (MEAT)
all depends on conections

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
penzance, starting at exeter? when is this meAt? It sounds like a good meAt to me as long as its bacon...

seriously though, sounds like a good meet I can't miss out on! when is it?

Jim

Established Member
STOP IT EVERYONE. YOU ARE TAKING THE MICK. I will orginise it ASAP

Dennis

Established Member
If anyone is interested, some of my phots are at

http://dennis-lance.fotopic.net/

Good day out.

Might I suggest waiting until ~October to do Exeter - Penzance; if the wind and tides are right the Dawlish carriage wash might be working; never been through this (HO would be interesting!).

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Valid point there Jim, will see it via another method.

Just under a year early, but based on this meet, would those who went go again? I'm planning something...

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
ah crikey mr.fgwfan, were your pictures by the 43030 that bad? Jim has threatened to post up a picture of me acting stupid and bored at Bristol Parkway today. :oops:

Jim

Established Member
how do you mean FGWFan. Tell me. I will do it again

Muppet

HSTfan!!! said:
ah crikey mr.fgwfan, were your pictures by the 43030 that bad? Jim has threatened to post up a picture of me acting stupid and bored at Bristol Parkway today. :oops:

i can always post the picture of KUNG FOW JI <D :D

Techniquest

Veteran Member
HSTfan!!!, the phots aren't that bad. They haven't been posted because a) they're not my photos to upload and b) it was decided they should go up publically.

I'll show you them on the next chance I get.

I want to see that one of you bored at BP!

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
lol well I was just sat in the waiting room on the platform and started to wonder what I could do with my aptis ticket so I stuck it in my glasses and Jim photographed it :lol: Others he took of me standing next to the BP signboards, and one of me by a HST power car.

David

Established Member
A bit over due, but here is how my day went.

My day started when i got up at a round 5:00. After a quick look at some timetables, I decided there was no way I would be able to catch the last train back from sheffield. I drove to Sheffield station and got there about 6:35. Plenty of time to get my tickets, or so I thought! the ticket clerk messed up twice when typing it all in, and i missed the 6:47 voyager by about 10 seconds! So while I waited for the 7:24 MML service, I thought I would take some photo's. But no. that plan went up the spout when I discovered that the batteries in my camera were dead.

Anyway, time for some HST thrash!!! The MML HST came in and I caught that as far as Derby. At Derby, it was dive out of the HST and on to P3 and jump onto the 170 going to Hereford. I arrived at New Street just before 9:00. I managed to get a table seat in the HST for Newquay (somehow!), but the downside to that was the other 3 seats were taken by 3 13 year old girls, and they were making more noise than the reast of the train put together. A right time arrival at Bristol Parkway gave me chance to get some more batteries for my camera before the PD HST pulled in. I found Jim and the other forums members in coach B, like they said they would be, and of we went. Dennis did H-O through the Severn Tunnel. At Newport, Joy54 and Metrocammel left us and went up to Crewe. Between Newport and Cardiff, Jim and Rhys nearly lost various parts of their anatomies (and a camcorder) while doing H-O when they were caught looking the wrong way as a 150 came along.

The meet was pretty uneventful after that until Swansea, where FGWFan joined us. We gave him a bit of stick, because he was supposed to join us at Newport. At Pembroke Dock, we couldn't have a pint in the station pub, because it had been shut down for a fair while. So we jumped back on the train and dived into first class. On the way back, the train manager came and did a ticket check, and depite him giving my ticket a really long hard look, he said it was fine and moved on. Julian left us at Swansea, because he had to be at work at 6pm. He had just under 25 mins to get there. After Swansea, me and Dennis gave in to temptation and got a beer each. That went down far too well, so I had to get another. While we was drinking, me and Dennis started an alternative form of spotting at the stations.

At Bristol Parkway, I said goodbye to everyone, and left the train. I caught a voyager upto Birmingham, where I had a 30 minute wait for a train to Sheffield. I jumped on that, and the next thing I knew, we was pulling into Chesterfield. The train got into Sheffield at 22:18 where I had to leave it. A steady drive home later saw me miss last orders by about a minute. All in all lots a milage in HST's in a long day.

Muppet

Harry Potter said:
A bit over due, but here is how my day went.

Between Newport and Cardiff, Jim and Rhys nearly lost various parts of their anatomies (and a camcorder) while doing H-O when they were caught looking the wrong way as a 150 came along.

After Swansea, me and Dennis gave in to temptation and got a beer That went down far too well, so I had to get another. While we was drinking, me and Dennis started an alternative form of spotting at the stations.

We were very lucky on the 150
Make that 2 Tetleys beers and what we shall call Bird ;) watching on the way back.
Also you shore you were alright to drive

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Good to read your side of the story Harry Potter. Glad you enjoyed your beers, if I'd realised you could have had a FREE can of 3B! Too late now...

David

Established Member
Jim said:
He must have got back early to miss Last Orders
WHAT!? If I had got back early, I would of got another beer. (Time at the bar is 23:00. I got back home very shortly afterwards (about 15 seconds after that)). :roll:

To FGWFan. D'oh :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Sprinter

Jim said:
Sprinter did heads out all the way. Just before Parkway I did something {un} cool. Took his window sticker!!! I will give it to FGWFan as he didn't have 1. <( mode ended.

I wondered where that went! Thief!!!

After BPW I had to leave to get down to Lyme Regis, so I crossed over to platform 2 to await a train to Exeter, this turned out to be the 1924 VGN train to Plymouth, which got into Exeter St D at 2040, 5 minutes before the last X53 for Lyme Regis left Exeter Bus Station, which is about 20 minutes walk from St D!! So I took the 2100 SWT service to Axminster and waited 47 minutes there for the 2220 route 31 bus to Lyme Regis instead. When the bus pulled in I was quite surprised that it was a Wright Renown, #66168, instead of the more usual low floor Darts.

I have subsequently found out that these Wright Renown's have been displaced from Fareham depot by new Scania OmniCities, so were transfereed to Weymouth and Bridport depots to upgrade the 31, with the Darts being put on Weymouth local routes!

Jim

Established Member
You ...
OK..I will give it back to you
On the volvo note - You burger - it was an EOW 1 :cry:

Sprinter

Indeed the buses that have got transferred to WH and BP are of the "EOW" batch, from my observations when in Lyme Regis I noted at least six of them 66165, 168, 169, 177 and 178 of what I know of.

You will hard pressed to find a Dart on the 31 at the minute, indeed when me and FGWFan were doing the FoSW every time we used route 31, it was a Renown, except once when we found Dart 42829.

The Renowns seem much better suited to to hilly terrain of the route though, coming out of Lyme Regis for example up Broad Street, a Dart struggles up the hill, even using the extra booster gears but a Renown tackled it with hardly any effort!!

Status
Not open for further replies.