• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pembroke Dock HST meet 20th August 2005!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim

Established Member
Hi,
I planned this meet 2 months ago so today was always going to be good.

Woke up at 6 & checked Rail UK. Found a PM saying Yorkie couldn't come :cry: Me & Dennis got the 0751 to Swindon and done some HST spotting. Took some brilliant pictures http://jimsphotoallery.fotopic.net/c660322.html & met Rhys. He got his Camcorder out & done some Recording :P. We found out that Sprinter missed his train :roll: :roll: He got a bus to Chippenham instead. We then met up with him. I thought the train left at 1040. He told me JUST in time :oops: We got on and found Joy 54 on the train :? We were then joined by Metro Cammel until Newport where FGWFan was ment to join us.

Rhys don't tell them about my Sprinter :lol:

Where is he? In BED :shock: We had a pretty uneventfull journey until Swansea. he did turn up :P. He bought along 25+ Pizza Hut Mints!!!!!!!!!!

We then had an uneventfull journey until Pembroke Dock. We got some pictures of 43030. These were clagging a lot during the journey.
Left the dock bang on time in FC.
Sprinter did heads out all the way. Just before Parkway I did something {un} cool. Took his window sticker!!! I will give it to FGWFan as he didn't have 1. <( mode ended.
After BPW we gt a ticket check. Fuc* off. I am not paying my tenner now. I have missed me free things. So we went back to SC for 10 mins.
A cool meet. Next will be Penzance in October.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jim

Established Member
FGWFan made this meet. HSTFan did GET the oppertunity to ask for it off BEFORE this weeks Rota came out. He forgot.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Jim said:
I MAKE IT KNOWN LOUD & CLEAR THAT THE LEADING HST FAN IS FGWFAN. HE NEEDS TO HAVE A RE-NAME TO...

oi oi now, just because I couldn't attend means I didn't have a fair chance at that! :cry: stupid work!

Jim

Established Member
BOGOF :lol: Please don't share that (I won't spoil it)

joeholmes

So who was FGWfan up against then, he hardly had any compotion, like HSTfan or myself..... ish...

Maybe a meet with all the HST fans one could crown somebody, bit immature Jim to keep going on about it aswell,

T

Tom

Legally, if there was a quiz and 2 couldn't take part - the winner wins, no other changes.

However, we are under the RailUK libel rules (by yorkie I might add), so technically, HSTfan has a RIGHT to recieve that quiz over MSN or something, so we can prove the real fan. :)

Jim

Established Member
Good idea there TC. We should do a HST quiz online 1 night

T

Tom

Jim said:
FGWFan made this meat. HSTFan did GET the oppertunity to ask for it off BEFORE this weeks Rota came out. He forgot

Yes Jim, I like meat too.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
cool pix yeah, but FGWfan looks drugged up in that picture of him and his reach card, what were you chaps feeding him? :shock:

Muppet

HSTfan!!! said:
cool pix yeah, but FGWfan looks drugged up in that picture of him and his reach card, what were you chaps feeding him? :shock:

That was the coffee :D :D

Jim

Established Member
The only thing he like except Diet Coke + HST's IMHO

T

Tom

Rhys - stop turning BBcode off in your posts, it is what is making your posts look wierd.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Jim said:

well at least we know the main things he lives on, not forgetting the guiness mind! :) now we know what to buy FGWfan for his birthday! :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thanks for posting that Jim, to be fair I certainly have no competition in a FGW fanship competition with anyone originally down for the meet. HSTfan!!! is my real challenge for knowledge on HSTs I reckon.

Anyway, before everyone continues to moan big-style about my lack of presence at NP, here's my story:

Friday night I did the night shift. I finished at 2345. Still got a fair bit of energy in me, indeed it kept me going til 0548! I was due to get up at 0615...

No chance of that, so I reset the alarm for 1015, so I could have a big breakfast, rush down to Tesco and buy some treats, as well as getting the money Sprinter needs from me.

That plan, making it about the 50th, went out of the window. I awoke at 1133. I woke up, plonked my head back on the pillow, thinking out loud: 'I don't have to get up for a while yet'. A few moments later, I remembered the meet! I needed to be out of the house by 1138. I did it by 1140, sacrificing breakfast and a whole lot of other essentials. 1142, the bus passes me by, 50ft (well, maybe a bit more) from the bus stop. :cry:

Thankfully an X13 was due from Ammanford/Llandeilo soon from the next stop down, so I went for it. All the way I was hoping and praying it would get me there in time. At least this way I could get a 42 instead of a 46.

I arrived at the station at 1203. Enough time to buy some drinks and some more stuff. Jim and the crew eventually pulled up with 43030 on the front (rear on departure). I board in 42023 with the remainder of the crew.

Around Llanelli I poured out my mints from a box which I was convientally cleaning near the night before... ;)

Much comparing of books is done, I never got round to reading the magazine with an article on HSTs in that Jim had brought to show me. Damn.

At PD, we get some shots, Jim's dad got one of me standing RIGHT in front of 43030. I still want to get a copy of it. We then board in Coach E, walked through into F, in this case 40207.

Technically I shouldn't have had an upgrade on my rover, didn't prove to be a problem though...Bit of H-O between Whitland and Carmarthen finishes more of West Wales in such views on my map. I had a coffee on the way back so as to get some energy in me. I had not eaten apart from some of my mints yet. I give Jim the first packet of biscuits to shut him up ('I want my complimentaries!' got annoying after a while), I later got a can of Diet Coke and some more biscuits. These were mine this time, I was starving!

I alight at Swansea, much to my displeasure. I shake hands with everyone, then watch the HST leave just 2.5 minutes down (arrived around 10 down!), then it was off for a 42 to Morfa. Thankfully my manager allowed me to have some food (staff meal, pepperoni and ham, plus garlic bread with cheese) before I began work, so I was lucky.

Now, the reason why I looked stoned in that pic? I was TIRED! Tends to happen sometimes! I was absolutely, 100% STARVING too! However, my eyes WERE open. In the one where I'm holding my FORWARD membership card and wallet, I had that in it to show it off a bit. I didn't look tired in that one though to me. Best check them out actually...

Overall, a meet that was good, but not as good as it was originally going to be. To answer Jim's question from yesterday (never did answer it then!), I'm INCLINED to say the FW meet was the best, but TBH I was so tired I can't say I enjoyed as much as I should have. Hence, I have no favourite meet in 2005 still! Come on guys, let's have a thumping good meet soon, we've only got 3 full months left!

A rating you ask for? 7/10, boosted by miles by the fact it was a HST, the only reason I was going.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Jim said:

OK, here's a more definitive list, since you asked for it:

Diet Coke
HSTs
FGW
180s
Coffee
Chicken Curry and Chips from Mr. Chips, HFD
Paddington
Guiness
Spotting
Travelling
Bashing
Internet
Texan Barbeque Sauce

Not in any order of course.

Want the Hate list too? TS, you've got it now, by no means definitive or in any order:

Bog Units
Voyagers
Meridians
Pioneers
67s
66s
Electric stock
Rough rides on the sleeper
Irritating travellers (norms or not)
Fudgers
SWT
GNER
MML
SN
SET
'one'
VT
CT
Northern
Lager
Sour Cream and Chive Dip
SL
TL
LUL

There's more, but that's all I'm adding for now.

Oh yes, and HSTfan!!!, if you're offering to get me a crate of Guiness, I won't say no... ;)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Oh, and the 150 story, although I wasn't there, I saw it on video. Jim basically didn't see a 150 coming, was lucky his head wasn't out fully when it passed.

If Jim plans the HST bash to Penzance, you can be sure I'll be there! Will I be the only HST fan again on it? I'd wager I will be.

TheSlash

Established Member
A westerner hates the Southern, what a shock :roll:
What the Western does on high days and holidays, the Southern does everyday 8)

Jim

Established Member
FGWFan said:
If Jim plans the HST bash to Penzance, you can be sure I'll be there! Will I be the only HST fan again on it? I'd wager I will be.

From Exeter the meet will start due to shi* fares to get to Exeter, I will go on a ATW 158 to get there. Hopefully have some more people for a climb over the banks

Techniquest

Veteran Member
TheSlash said:
A westerner hates the Southern, what a shock :roll:
What the Western does on high days and holidays, the Southern does everyday 8)

Glad your response was different to the usual 'Why do you hate SWT/SN/SET?'. But let's not get into this too much, a big fight will start up otherwise.

What is it the Southern does everyday? Run trains to the beach? So does the West. FGW runs HSTs to Weston-super-Mare, when it doesn't it leaves WSX to continue onwards passengers for the beach. We take passengers to Dawlish all the time, admittedly not stopping many HSTs there. WSX run services from Par to Newquay, IC operators also run there during the summer. Connections at St. Erth for WSX services to St.Ives.

Do we run electric Bog Units to these destinations though? No chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.