• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Penalty Fare - tenant no longer at address

Status
Not open for further replies.

island

Veteran Member
It is also criminal offence to open post not addressed to you regardless of whether it is sent to your address (under data protection act).

Section and quotation please. (Hint: it isn't there. I really hate when people throw around the Data Protection Act when it doesn't apply.)

I encourage the OP to contact IRCAS on the matter. I don't know if it has access to credit records, but if it does, it can put a default against the address which may (but also may not) become associated with anyone else at that address who applies for credit in future. That is probably an outcome best avoided.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

34D

Established Member
I encourage the OP to contact IRCAS on the matter. I don't know if it has access to credit records, but if it does, it can put a default against the address which may (but also may not) become associated with anyone else at that address who applies for credit in future. That is probably an outcome best avoided.

Really? Doesn't there have to be a CCA74 agreement for that?

island

Veteran Member
No, since utility bills and gym memberships don't have CCA agreements and can result in credit record defaults, to name but a few.

I don't know whether IRCAS can access credit records though.

Clip

Established Member
I'm not doing your research for you. If you want to make a point one way or another, then find some evidence to back it up. If there is no case law then look to the explanatory notes.

Hey im the one telling you that I have opened letters and contacted the people who have sent them to let them know that said persons do not live at my address and so far.....Nothing.And you're the one telling me about case law so im asking you to provide it.

this has included letters from debt collection firms and such like and even a court summons too - who didnt mind in the least me calling them and saying that I was the house owner and not the person named. im still ticking though.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
. . . . I have opened letters and contacted the people who have sent them to let them know that said persons do not live at my address and so far.....Nothing.

. . .

this has included letters from debt collection firms and such like and even a court summons too - who didnt mind in the least me calling them and saying that I was the house owner and not the person named. im still ticking though.
Yes, of course that's right. I've done the same myself often enough.
There's been a lot of unsubstantiated scarce-mongering on this thread. The puzzle remains in understanding why that sort of fear exists. There is little or no basis for it.

Clip

Established Member
Yes, of course that's right. I've done the same myself often enough.
There's been a lot of unsubstantiated scarce-mongering on this thread. The puzzle remains in understanding why that sort of fear exists. There is little or no basis for it.

No idea Dave. It has been my experience that these companies are happy to have the information so they can go look somewhere else for said person rather then waste time and money posting out letters to a place they dont reside.

GadgetMan

I'd send it back with a note to say the person no longer lives there. If you have their new address, then depending on how you feel about them, you could pass the new address on to IRCAS.

I don't think you even need to put a stamp on it.

I will check when I'm at work tomorrow, or I'm sure someone else will confirm whether this is correct.

I'm pretty sure when our admin department post Unpaid Fares Notices to IRCAS, the envelope just has 'FREE POST, IRCAS' written on to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.