• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Penalty Fares at Ticketless Stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLA365

I was just browsing the details of one of my local stations, Angel Road and was quite surprised to see that it neither has ticket machines nor it is manned at any time.

What surprised me even more is that the National Rail website states that it is a Penalty Fare station (and the services that serve this station usually do not have guards). How is it justifiable to charge Penalty Fares?!

Link: http://nrekb.com/stations/index.html?a=findStation&station_query=angel+road

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

steve158

it's got to be a mistake.

for example in the west midlands, alvechurch and barnt green are exempt from the penalty fares scheme as they are unmanned.

there's been talk of bringing in penalty fares in the east midlands. right, how do you enforce that at sileby, say??

DLA365

steve158 said:
it's got to be a mistake.
Maybe One saw that some of the stations have ticket machines and decided to make the whole line Penalty Fare enforced, without checking all the stations? :?

Northumberland Park - which is the next station on the line has ticket machines, but is only manned for a few hours in the morning peak on weekdays. What do people do when they need to buy a ticket which is not listed on the machine?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Also, what happens if you can only pay by card, having no cash? I know this has happened to me lots of times, as I dislike having cash as a MOP. Most Fastticket machines don't have coin-taking facilities, although there are new ones now that do.

jd

Surely ALL stations have Permit to Travel machines though? Therefore you have to buy one of those or you get charged penalty fare?

OT: I once went to Kings Norton station on the West Mids local network, heading for BNS. The ticket office was closed so I had to get a permit. I put 5p into the machine, and no-one came round on the train. The ticket is only 80p anyway though.....

DLA365

jdan said:
Surely ALL stations have Permit to Travel machines though? Therefore you have to buy one of those or you get charged penalty fare?
I haven't seen a Permit to Travel machine but will do a thorough search the next time I go to Northumberland Park. BTW, don't the Permit to Travel machines only get activated when the ticket machine is out of order? Or is it when the station is unmanned?

Status
Not open for further replies.