• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pendolino bird strike, 21 October 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

eMeS

Whilst videoing at Stoke Road bridge, Old Linslade I captured this south bound Pendolino bird strike. I was unaware of what had happened until reviewing the videos later at home, when I began to notice black birds (crows, rooks) being interested in the line - they'd spotted the carrion, I expect.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossover

Established Member
Jeez! I have to say you did well to get that on video - it looked like it gave the catenary a good old shake too!

Bet it gave the driver a bit of a scare though did that one

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I know exactly where you took that shot. I used to walk down there from my house all the time when I was a kid!

Established Member
Saw a feral pigeon which had also been in a similar collision with a 91 - althoigh it looked to have been speared on a radio antenna.

eMeS

Higher up on this thread, I got congratulated on my timing - not that I had anything to do with it, apart from point the camcorder and have it turned on! However, yesterday my video of the RHTT (in action with spray etc.) on the Down Slow just north of MKC was 99.5% eclipsed by the very timely(!!) passing of a local Desiro 350 on the Up Slow.

I wonder how a Pendolino would cope with hitting a swan or a heron? Both birds frequent the canal close to where I caught the bird strike.

Yew

Established Member
Anyone know if there was damage to the train?

HST Power

Established Member
As opposed to bird versus plane, in which case mutually-assured destruction is a significant potential outcome.

:lol:

You can fly a plane on one engine. In fact, pilots have to know how to fly on one engine, and are tested in some very difficult scenarios when they take their training.

I have flown light aircraft before, and such a scenario is not desirable! :p

Top marks for the video, but I hope RailUK isn't being monitored by the RSPCA because if it is, then we have a problem! :lol:

Phil6219

Ahem...

harold-meeker.jpg

Was on a Pendo a couple of months ago and spotted some feathers pass by rather quickly, when I got to Piccadilly there was a nice white patch on the top right of the drivers window.

As air crew (ex-air steward) I've hit more than my fair share of birds, well had a good few bird strikes in jets and had a rather awkward moment when out on a flying lesson when a wood pigeon decided to "become one with" my Cessna... (Nothing disastrous but scared the living crap out of myself and my instructor) and fortunately only the exterior of the aircraft needed cleaning...

Phil 8-)

Status
Not open for further replies.