• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pendolino ECML Trial Run

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yew

Established Member
The ECML would probably benefit from selective ETRMS on sections that could be 125+ mph with it, than tilt on the slower bits. Although 125+ running cold benifit from tilt to increase the availability.

Maybe we could go for a 150mph tilting train. Maybe bombardier could make a voyager/apt hybrid?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
And how exactly do you propose to timetable a 150mph service around all the other traffic on the ECML?

Yew

Established Member
And how exactly do you propose to timetable a 150mph service around all the other traffic on the ECML?

I'm not sure, I would say ETRMS could help with pathing for slower services, however then we risk installing a signalling system ona fleet of trains that wouldnt really use it.

Maybe 75mph pacers/sprinters could become 90mph 158's? or on routes that warrant it, maybe even turbostars (I'm thinking about the scotrail cross border service to newcastle?)

As for freight, could we have more intensive night freight, or maybe if we timetabled cleverly, we could use loops to allow freight to be overtaken?

Do you have any ideas?

NSEFAN

Established Member
If you have 125+ mph trains and (as low as) 45mph freight on the same route, then ideally you'd want 4 tracking at every available opportunity, especially given how long it takes for freight to get moving / slow down.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Do you have any ideas?

Yes, don't do it. Far better to spend the millions that such an upgrade would cost on delivering capacity improvements throughout the route than trying to improve the linespeeds to something like 150mph. Once that's done then I'd suggest looking at raising linespeeds north of Newcastle to 125mph where possible and as high as possible everywhere else. 150mph on the ECML is a waste of time and money and would eat up the existing paths on the route.

Status
Not open for further replies.