• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pendolino Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Firstly my bus was late so I missed the local stopping service to Birmingham New Street [BHM] so I was going to get the 1016 Virgin Trains service to BHM. However the 0916 was running nearly an hour late due to technical difficulties so I got on that. We crawled out of Coventry. The stopping service was in front but we had a green signal out of Coventry. We then went fairly slow all the way to International. We left International slowly as well. We then got to Proof House Junction just outside BHM (This is where the cross-city line joins the Coventry to Birmingham line). I assume we stopped at a signal. Then the problems started. The train moved forward a little bit but started rolling backwards. This happened a few time. The train manager then announced that the train didnt have enough power to get up the bank and asked everyone to sit down. About five minutes later he announced that we may have to be stuck outside BHM for up to an hour to let the transformer cool down. However after another five or ten mimutes we started moving again. The train got into BHM about an hour and half late. This caused me to be late for my tutorial at University

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

evil_hippo

Suddenly the 90s don't seem so bad.

I'm not sure about the announcement you got (we may be here an hour). As it was wrong, you could say it unnecessarily scared the passengers, but maybe it was good to honestly inform passengers of the situation as the gauard knew it.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Why having everyone sit down would make a difference I don't know...

The 390s aren't even 5 years old yet, and they're failing all the time. Shocking...

I daresay New Street was flooded with requests for compensation then.

metrocammel

It just proves how poor the Sh*tos are. Im assuming the "sitting down" was no more technical that he didnt want people coming up to him shouting and bawling!!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Interesting idea of his that could have been.

I agree 100% it proves how bad they are. The 90s could be enjoying a huge stay of execution on the WCML (well, BHM - MAN at least) at this rate. If the 390s keep on like this, they may have no choice but to get the LHCS back out.

TheSlash

Established Member
From what i have heard through railway technical appreciation courses, the 390 is an advancement on the 458......

Met Driver

Established Member
TheSlash said:
From what i have heard through railway technical appreciation courses, the 390 is an advancement on the 458......

Is 'advancement' really the right word to use? ;)

andrewmay

That says it all really. Stick with tried and tested technology. Bring back LHCS.

Cheers,
Andrew

voyagerdude220

Established Member
matt said:
Firstly my bus was late so I missed the local stopping service to Birmingham New Street so I was going to get the 1016 Virgin Trains service to BHM. However the 0916 was running nearly an hour late due to technical diffficulities so I got on that. We crawled out of Coventry. The stopping service was in front but we had a green signal out of Coventry. We then went fairly slow all the way to International. We left International slowly as well. We then got to Proof House Junction just outside BHM (This is where the cross-city line joins the Coventry to Birmingham line). I assume we stopped at a signal. Then the problems started. The train moved forward a little bit but started rolling backwards. This happened a few time. The train manager then announced that the train didnt have enough power to get up the bank and asked everyone to sit down. About five minutes later he announced that we may have to be stuck outside BHM for up to an hower to let the transformer cool down. However after another five or ten mimutes we started moving again. The train got into BHM about an hour and half late. This caused me to be late for my tutorial at University

This wasn't by any chance 390 049 "Virgin Express" was it? The reason why I've replied with this, is because this 390 had quite a few problems whilst working 1B40- 11:23 Man Picc to Euston. Firstly, there was a huge flash of light from the front pantograph, whilst slowing down for Stockport, and the train was held in the station whilst the driver looked at the Pantograph. Apparantly, the air con also went off shortly after the flash. Same happened in Macclesfield. VT ended up lowering the dodgy panto, and using the rear one instead.

Sounds like to me a problem with the Regenerative braking.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
No. It was 390001. It was running on low power. Dont think it was a breaking problem

Status
Not open for further replies.