Pendolino Refurbishment/Modernisation

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by richardio123, 22 Oct 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sprinterguy

sprinterguy Established Member

In my experience, the ride quality from SIG designed bogies (in the UK, at least) always seems to be quite "lively": The mark 4s had well documented problems with ride quality when they were new, and despite these issues being solved they still seem to ride "harder" than, say, mark 3s.

Mind you, there seems to be a world of difference in the ride quality of mark 3s: You can get really good ones (The Chiltern refurbishments seem to have "fettled" the bogies quite nicely) to really bad ones that do nothing but wallow and soss about at the slightest undulation, which seems to affect a good number of the HST vehicles on the East Coast, and I would say ride much worse than a Pendolino.

2. starrymarkb

starrymarkb Established Member

Virgin/Alstom specified SIG bogies/tilt system* rather then the standard Fiat one fitted to most EuroPendolinos. Not sure if this was down to size for UK loading gauge or other reasons.

SIG also did the Mark 4 coach bogie. Not sure if the two designs have anything in common.

3. Masboroughlad

Masboroughlad Established Member

I have just heard that the Pretendolino is being retired in November by Virgin Trains.

Where will it go to - scrap heap, other TOC or charter operator?

4. Blindtraveler

Blindtraveler Established Member

:( :(

5. Manchester77

Manchester77 Established Member

Doubt it, quality mark IIIs are unlikely to be scrapped, potential for use with Anglia perhaps. I'm doubtful that they'll be converted for HST use because HSTs days are numbered so it may not be viable.

6. HSTlover198

HSTlover198 Member

May I ask where did you find this information Masboroughlad, I can not seem to find anything it about the Pretendolino being retired.

7. Masboroughlad

Masboroughlad Established Member

Virgin Trains charter hire team.

8. thealexweb

thealexweb Member

Why it is being retired? Could it not be deployed elsewhere. At the moment it annoys me to see double 221s running from Edinburgh to London. 400+ miles of running under the wires.

9. Blindtraveler

Blindtraveler Established Member

Agreed, but if deployed on a Scotland>Euston Via BHM working there would be a lot of shuffling of the TT on the Northern section of the route as the
    only
    advantage 10 car vommiters have is they tilt and can therefor achieve greater speed in particular north of Carlisle. Where it might come in handy though is on one of the booked 185 diagrams at the weekends which I am aware are mainly for traction knoledge for Scottish Crews but if you removed all but 1 coach of FC and the buffet then it could keep to time and be a major asset to TPE. But im fantasizing.↲

10. deltic08

deltic08 On Moderation

Who owns it?

11. Peter Mugridge

Peter Mugridge Established Member

I think it's Porterbrook.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.