• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Penge west to Staines...confused about cheapest route!

Status
Not open for further replies.

proteuspal

Hello all
i am a new poster on here, apologies if this question was asked previously but I could not see it. Also, I have looked up the information myself for the last hour, however Im not really any the wiser after this and Im in need of some forum help.
Im in London next week, staying close to penge west train station. Ive decided to go to thorpe park and hence need to find the cheapest way to staines. I have been to london many times, however I only ever used day travelcards to cap my travel, as I knew I would be staying within certain zones, so I never bothered with an oyster, however I would be more than happy to purchase one at a tube station on this trip.
Basically Ive looked at a possible route for Penge west to Richmond : Penge west-canada water-westminster-richmond and from richmond hop on a south west to staines. Im wondering what is the cheapest way of doing this?? From penge west to Richmond I will travel through zones 1-4. Im wondering should I get a zone 1-4 day travel card and then make the journey from Richmond to staines on an oyster? I have heard about an 'extension', which allows 1 return journey outside your selected zones...could that work?
If anyone can clarify those points for me, please do! Basically Im wondering do I actually need an oyster at all, perhaps oyster would make it more expensive?
Many thanks
Proteuspal

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
First of all, Staines is outside the Oyster Fares Zone, so you cannot use Oyster PAYG all the way anyway. I think I'd be looking at going from Penge West to Clapham Jn via East Croydon or Norwood Jn, and changing onto SWT there.

It's quite possible a normal 'National Rail only' direct fare Penge West to Staines (not London) is all you need - because you are going outside the zonal area you can buy a normal Anytime (£11.10) or Offpeak (£9.80) Day Return and not worry about zones and/or underground at all...

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Staines is outside of the Travelcard zones and Oyster is not valid there.

An Anytime Day Return Penge West (PNW)-Staines (SNS) is £11.10; the Off Peak Day Return (valid after 0930 M-F, any time weekends) is £9.80. The normal route would be Penge West-East Croydon or Norwood Jct-Clapham Jct-Staines.

If you also need to travel within London then you may benefit from combining a Travelcard with a Boundary Zone fare to Staines.
A Z1-4 Day Travelcard is £10.60 (Peak) or £7.70 (Off Peak)
A Z1-6 Day Travelcard is £15.80 (Peak) or £8.50 (Off Peak)
Richmond (Z4) - Staines day return is £8.00/£5.60
Feltham (Z6) - Staines day return is £5.80/£4.70

Off Peak, the cheapest option is £13.20 with a Z1-6 Travelcard and a Feltham-Staines return (NB: I've not looked up boundary zone fares; they are usually very similar to those from the last station in the zone as I've used here. With a BZ ticket there's no need for the train to stop at the "boundary" station, which is required with a "point-to-point" ticket, but that's not a problem here as all trains to Staines stop at Richmond and Feltham).

If travelling in the peak, the best tickets would depend on the exact timing, as you might be able to combine a peak Travelcard with an off peak ticket to Staines, depending on the timing.

The route you suggest wouldn't be valid on the through Penge West-Staines ticket, but it would with the Travelcard (or Oyster). Not sure why you would want to go that way though, it would take an age.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
A Z1-4 Day Travelcard is £10.60 (Peak) or £7.70 (Off Peak)
A Z1-6 Day Travelcard is £15.80 (Peak) or £8.50 (Off Peak)
Richmond (Z4) - Staines day return is £8.00/£5.60
Feltham (Z6) - Staines day return is £5.80/£4.70

Off-Peak Day Return Boundary Zone 4 - Staines is £5.10 and the Anytime Day Return is £7.50 so saves 50p on the Richmond fare.

Same ticket from Boundary Zone 6 is priced the same as the Feltham ticket so there is no saving to be made.

John @ home

Established Member
Ive decided to go to thorpe park and hence need to find the cheapest way to staines.
If you're not using a Thorpe Park 2-for-1 or similar offer, it may be worth considering an inclusive rail and admission ticket.

proteuspal

hi John
Im actually using merlin cards on entry to Thorpe park, Ive got great use out of those cards in the last year!However this is my first trip to thorpe park.
Many thanks to all you guys for contributing, your info really has helped me out an awful lot. When you dont use the tube/london trains very often it can be confusing.
Im due to be in London from good friday til easter monday, so thankfully my whole time should be 'off peak'. Im pretty sure I will also require some travel within zones 1-4 on the day I use the rail ticket to staines.
To clarify, this is what ticket I will request upon leaving penge west:off peak Z1-4 day travelcard for £7.70 with an off peak day return boundary zone 4 (from Richmond) to Staines for an extra £5.10. So with this ticket I can hop on and off all day within zones 1-4 and have 1 return journey to staines for £12.80.
If I decided I only needed to travel from penge west to staines and did not need the all day travel within zones 1-4, I would still pay the £9.80 off peak fare from penge west to staines as quoted by lexyboy? I think I would go for the £12.80 option and at least have the comfort of knowing that for an extra £3 I can travel within zones 1-4, should I need to. If Ive missed anything off there please correct me?

Thanks so much to all of you
Proteuspal
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
hi John
Im actually using merlin cards on entry to Thorpe park, Ive got great use out of those cards in the last year!However this is my first trip to thorpe park.
Many thanks to all you guys for contributing, your info really has helped me out an awful lot. When you dont use the tube/london trains very often it can be confusing.
Im due to be in London from good friday til easter monday, so thankfully my whole time should be 'off peak'. Im pretty sure I will also require some travel within zones 1-4 on the day I use the rail ticket to staines.
To clarify, this is what ticket I will request upon leaving penge west:off peak Z1-4 day travelcard for £7.70 with an off peak day return boundary zone 4 (from Richmond) to Staines for an extra £5.10. So with this ticket I can hop on and off all day within zones 1-4 and have 1 return journey to staines for £12.80.
If I decided I only needed to travel from penge west to staines and did not need the all day travel within zones 1-4, I would still pay the £9.80 off peak fare from penge west to staines as quoted by lexyboy? I think I would go for the £12.80 option and at least have the comfort of knowing that for an extra £3 I can travel within zones 1-4, should I need to.
Lastly I dont need to concern myself with oyster cards, because as you mentioned Staines is outside oyster territory, so the only portion of my route that I could use my oyster card would be penge up to the end of zone 4 at Richmond, in which case the cost to me will be exactly the same for a zone 1-4 day travelcard, regardless of whether i use a paper day travelcard or use oyster, since oyster is capped at same rate as day travelcard anyway.
If Ive missed anything off there please correct me?

Thanks so much to all of you
Proteuspal

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor

Correct.

If I decided I only needed to travel from penge west to staines and did not need the all day travel within zones 1-4, I would still pay the £9.80

Exactly. You would be allowed to stop off en-route if you wanted on this ticket, but for any extra travel the Travelcard will be cheaper.

proteuspal

thank you very much lexyboy. I am much happier now and feel confident about the trip. Theres nothing worse than the prospect of a trip and not knowing how to get from a to b and worrying about getting ripped off on buying an incorrect ticket!
Many thanks
Proteuspal

Status
Not open for further replies.