• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Penistone Line Abba train - June 24th 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

oddiesjack

Having read through other people's trip reports, I notice that DMU numbers are typically given, unlike my own previous effort, so I have made an effort to include them this time.

As per usual, my trip began with a brisk walk from Buxworth to Chinley, to catch the 16.55 hope valley stopper to Manchester. I was most surprised to see 4 RPOs on Chinley station when I got there, as I have never seen any attempt at ticket checking since it became an unstaffed single island platform station in the 1970s. In those days, there was a full-time booking clerk, a station master and several porters!

Anyway, bang on time, my train arrived, and I was pleased to see a Class 150 (150204) instead of the usual pacer. Here is a photo showing the RPIs and the train just coming to a stand at Chinley:

abba1 by m01h5601, on Flickr

Not a lot of passengers on board, so bagged 5 seats to myself (2 forward facing, 3 rear-facing) in the front carriage, and was surprised the guard didn't make it through selling tickets by New Mills especially as only 2 other people got on at Chinley. Having decided to do a trip report including train numbers, I rifled through my pockets looking for some paper, and typically for me, dropped them all on the floor! Upon picking them up, there was one unfamiliar one, and unfolding this found it to be someone elses, a cover letter from a travel agent, with a pair of tickets clipped to it. These were the outward and return portions of a Chinley-Sheffield journey for that day. I surmised that it had been dropped by someone who had just got off at Chinley, someone who would undoubtedly had to face the RPOs waiting at the footbridge. Fortunately, the cover letter had the lady's address which is not far from my house, so I have been able to pop the tickets, letter and a covering note from me through her letterbox. I pointed out that she had an excellent defence to the “those tickets provided later could be anyones” issue, as the travel agent's letter quotes the ticket numbers, and obviously has her name and address on it. Hopefully this will result in a “no further action” from Northern.

Getting back to the journey, at Romiley, I noticed a Network Rail jacketed worker speaking to the driver, followed by an announcement from the guard that the train was being diverted, and would no longer stop at Bredbury, the next stop being Piccadilly. Eventually the guard came round to sell tickets, in my case a South Pennines Day Ranger (with Old Farts discount) excellent value at £13.85. He said there had been a bridge strike on the Reddish line, though didn't elaborate exactly where. A reasonably fast journey via Woodley and Hyde got us into Piccadilly not far off right time. The announcer was busy telling people that there were currently no trains to Belle Vue, Reddish, Bredbury.

My next hop was on the 17.42 First TPE Manchester-Hull service, fast to Huddersfield using 17301. This was just about full, which given the time is to be expected though.

abba2 by m01h5601, on Flickr

Apart from learning how p1ssed off a young lady is with her employers and direct manager, thanks to a constant stream of phone calls from her to what seemed like anyone who would listen, (and to everyone within 20 ft of her on the train) the journey was far less eventful than the previous one. However, thank you to Standege tunnel for shutting up the young lady opposite for a few minutes.

At Huddersfield, I made my way to the Head of Steam and managed to walk right past the other participants in my keenness to get a pint. I got a pint of Coach House beer, and returned to the dining area, where I immediately noticed the other 6 or 7 forum attendees and joined them for a pleasant natter and some food, and some excellent banter with the bar lady!

Very quickly it was time for us to make our way to the Penistone line train, knowing how quickly the seats get taken. This was Pacer number 144022.

abba3 by m01h5601, on Flickr

We made our way to the vestbule at the rear of the middle coach, by the speaker, and set up camp there. There was already a long queue at the bar for the draught beer, but eventually we all manged to get a pint of Mallinson's FFS bitter. We were clearly on a train of beer-drinking Abba fans, as the draught beer had run out by Barnsley on the outward journey! I had the final one, much to the rest of the forum party's chagrin. The Abba band really were very good, and played and sang along to a backing track.

At Sheffield, there was a -1 minute connection to the Hope Valley stopper, which I was going to go for. Last time I did this, I legged it to platform 2C where the stoppers always go from, only to discover it was leaving from Platform 8, so this time I was ready and legged it across the footbridge to an empty platform 8. However, I noticed a pacer still in 2C, so ran back across the footbridge and along to 2C just as the Guard was about to close the doors. Thus 142009 was my final train of the evening, and a bit of an anti-climax to the earlier fun and frolics on the Abba train.

abba4 by m01h5601, on Flickr

Roll on the next one!!!

Attachments

• abba1.jpg
    abba1.jpg
    491.7 KB · Views: 16
  • abba2.jpg
    abba2.jpg
    596.1 KB · Views: 14
  • abba3.jpg
    abba3.jpg
    566.8 KB · Views: 15
  • abba4.jpg
    abba4.jpg
    419.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theblackwatch

Established Member
A good trip was had, unfortunately I had to alight from the beer & music train at Barnsley so that I could get home at a sensible time (having spent only 12 hours at home since the previous forum meal/meet last Wednesday!).

The organisers only brought one polypin (36 pints) on this occasion as, according to the PLP Chairman, the previous time an Abba train had run, the beer didn't sell too well (lots of women drinking wine apparently) and they ended up with a load left. I have said that I will warn him next time we are coming along. :p

We're looking at possibly doing a one or two similar trips later in the year - September 16th has an alternative/indie band performing on the train, while October 7th is a repeat of the Abba train for those who missed out this time.

oddiesjack

I've tried to include a few photos inline in my report, but they haven't come through properly. Any ideas why?
(I published them to flickr, then pasted the url into the add picture pop-up box)

One edit: I seem to have got thumbnails at the end now!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.