• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Penistone Line to become a "Penalty Fare" area

Status
Not open for further replies.

beeza1

Apparently the Penistone Line is to become a "Penalty Fare" are from,I think, next Monday, 27th August.
As most of you will be aware this means you will have to use the TVM's or risk getting a £20 penalty, the machines are card only, so anyone wanting to pay cash has to get a "Promise To Pay" notice, whatever that is. I have never even heard of such a thing and would be grateful if someone could tell me what exactly it is and, more importantly how do I get one.
The TVM's are just about the most user unfriendly bits of kit I have ever come across, I have seen lots of people try to use them only to throw their arms up in despair and pay on the train.
I have only used it once and was issued with a different ticket to what (I thought) I requested, I had to sort the problem out at Huddersfield, which I did without a problem, (I admit I probably made a mistake somewhere during the transaction).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
Tehre are a few threads on how to get one - IIRC you have to select the cash button for it to give you a promise to pay ticket

Paying on the train wont be an option in the future so people better get used to them sharpish too

Last edited by a moderator:

Harpers Tate

Established Member
I honestly and most sincerely hope that the ultimate consequence of this shameful behaviour (no station staff, garbage badly designed card only machine - all of which are OK on their own until ....... and penalty fares) is that they see a massive, massive decline in user and revenue. Something needs to make this change, and if complaints and intervention by "focus" bodies are ineffective - the last resort is lost users and thereby revenue. ALL such services should have onboard revenue collection without penalty.

_toommm_

Established Member
To get a promise to pay, you choose the ticket you are intending to buy (e.g. Penistone to Huddersifeld Off Peak Return), then choose to pay by cash. This then prints out a promise to pay. The promise to pay will have no details of your intended journey on it, but you must pay by cash or be liable to pay a Penalty Fare.

20180823_193003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

beeza1

To get a promise to pay, you choose the ticket you are intending to buy (e.g. Penistone to Huddersifeld Off Peak Return), then choose to pay by cash. This then prints out a promise to pay. The promise to pay will have no details of your intended journey on it, but you must pay by cash or be liable to pay a Penalty Fare.

View attachment 51454
Thank's for that, seems a long winded way to go about it, surely it would be far simpler to just have a "Promise To Pay" button rather than go through the motions of selecting your journey first.
Would you still have to pay by cash if you were using a "West Yorks Senior Bus Pass", as this discount is not available from the TVM?
Interestingly it states "Pay on the train if available or, pay at your destination", that seems to me to be a brilliant "Get Out Of Jail Card" for the "Pay When Challenged Brigade".

Silver Cobra

Thank's for that, seems a long winded way to go about it, surely it would be far simpler to just have a "Promise To Pay" button rather than go through the motions of selecting your journey first.

It's been said on here that this could be a measure to prevent people from simply pressing the button repeatedly to empty the machines of their ticket stock. Much like how there's people out there who enjoy vandalising the TVMs, those same people would probably enjoy doing this too.

_toommm_

Established Member
Would you still have to pay by cash if you were using a "West Yorks Senior Bus Pass", as this discount is not available from the TVM?
Interestingly it states "Pay on the train if available or, pay at your destination", that seems to me to be a brilliant "Get Out Of Jail Card" for the "Pay When Challenged Brigade".

They did originally have a 'Promise to Pay' button, but they found little scrotes would just spam the button, emptying the TVM of the ticketing stock in minutes.
As for the WY Pass issue, it's a much debated one. On the one hand, the Conditions of Travel say if your ticket isn't available before you travel (either through a TVM or ticket office), you can buy onboard, but some people argue you should get a Promise to Pay in order to show you had intent to pay.
Of course, it also depends on what kind of day the guard or gateline staff are having.

steamybrian

Established Member
It is something similar to the old PERTIS machines however in that case you have put some money in to get a ticket (I cannot remember the minimum but we are taking maybe 10p or 20p.).
At least with the Promise to Pay button it proves where the passenger got on as opposed to saying when the ticket inspector appears the passenger claims he got on at the previous station.

Kite159

Veteran Member
It is something similar to the old PERTIS machines however in that case you have put some money in to get a ticket (I cannot remember the minimum but we are taking maybe 10p or 20p.).
At least with the Promise to Pay button it proves where the passenger got on as opposed to saying when the ticket inspector appears the passenger claims he got on at the previous station.

Agreed, it provides proof where the passenger boarded in case they get queried about it

Veteran Member
As for the WY Pass issue, it's a much debated one. On the one hand, the Conditions of Travel say if your ticket isn't available before you travel (either through a TVM or ticket office), you can buy onboard, but some people argue you should get a Promise to Pay in order to show you had intent to pay.
The WY senior (=half) fare shows up on the machine at Saltaire or Shipley (can't remember which I tested), which I presume has the same capability.

_toommm_

Established Member
The WY senior (=half) fare shows up on the machine at Saltaire or Shipley (can't remember which I tested), which I presume has the same capability.

I remember seeing the SY Senior and the WY senior at Meadowhall, but that was just playing around on them - it may well show them on the Penistone Line too, but I don't live in that neck of the woods anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.