• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Penkridge fatality/disruption (22-23/1/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

the sniper

Established Member
I thought about posting this in the fatalities discussion thread last night, but I noticed this morning that thread's now been locked anyway.

Nevertheless, there was a fatality at Penkridge around 2030hrs last night, a nasty one apparently, involving two LM 350s. I only mention this now as the disruption has carried over to this morning, with no trains running between Wolverhampton and Stafford. This is apparently due to an OHLE problem at Penkridge which won't be solved until at least 0900hrs, according to NRE. I assume the two things are connected, though from what I heard about the fatality, I can't/wouldn't like to imagine how.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
I thought about posting this in the fatalities discussion thread last night, but I noticed this morning that thread's now been locked anyway.

Nevertheless, there was a fatality at Penkridge around 2030hrs last night, a nasty one apparently, involving two LM 350s. I only mention this now as the disruption has carried over to this morning, with no trains running between Wolverhampton and Stafford. This is apparently due to an OHLE problem at Penkridge which won't be solved until at least 0900hrs, according to NRE. I assume the two things are connected, though from what I heard about the fatality, I can't/wouldn't like to imagine how.

Couple of overbridges up there, they jump get it wrong & hit the top front of the train, the body could quite easily be propelled at high speed back into the wires & bring them down & so you now have human remains entangled in those wires & then the wires could have come down as well...

That's what could have happened, don't know if it did though.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Actually seperate incidents, the de-wirement was a Virgin setting back to Rickerscote due to the fatality and taking out 3 spans of wires.

Do we know which LM services were involved in the initial incident?

sd0733

Established Member
The initial train was 1F57 19:36 Birmingham-Liverpool and the second was 1L91 19:11 Liverpool-Birmingham.

Thoughts to all involved.

The Planner

Veteran Member
1L91 Liverpool - Birmingham and 1F57 Birmingham - Liverpool. As said, not a nice set of events according to the log.

The Snap

Established Member
Wires were brought down by 9M60 (1652 Edinburgh - Euston) circa 2145 on Up Main. Unit was 390128. It had an ADD activation whilst setting back to Stafford on the Up Main at Rickerscote as a result of the earlier incident at Penkridge. Whilst setting back the southern-most pan on the unit got tangled in the wires and brought them down over the train.

Train was unable to be moved due to entanglement in wires and emergency possession was required.

Emergency lighting set up between train and Stafford Salop sidings. Passengers evacuated into Stafford Salop sidings onto coaches waiting in NR maintenance yard circa 0200.

Pendo driver and fitters couldn't get brakes off so a 57 was sent to rescue. 57 hauled the unit DIT into platform 5 circa 0440.

Wire repairs ongoing.

Last edited:

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Made a good job of taking the wires down then. Something has to be said for the good old juice rail. ;)

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Could something be done to the overbridges to stop people from jumping from them?

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Nah, if they're going to do it, they'll always find a way. Whether it be in front of a train or off a motorway bridge or even grab the wires. Plenty of canals & rivers in the area too.

the sniper

Established Member
An absolutely atrocious set of events last night by the sounds of things.
As said, not a nice set of events according to the log.

Yes, absolutely. Worst I've heard of around here for a good while.

Actually seperate incidents, the de-wirement was a Virgin setting back to Rickerscote due to the fatality and taking out 3 spans of wires.
Wires were brought down by 9M60 (1652 Edinburgh - Euston) circa 2145 on Up Main. Unit was 390128. It had an ADD activation whilst setting back to Stafford on the Up Main at Rickerscote as a result of the earlier incident at Penkridge. Whilst setting back the southern-most pan on the unit got tangled in the wires and brought them down over the train.

Train was unable to be moved due to entanglement in wires and emergency possession was required.

Emergency lighting set up between train and Stafford Salop sidings. Passengers evacuated into Stafford Salop sidings onto coaches waiting in NR maintenance yard circa 0200.

Pendo driver and fitters couldn't get brakes off so a 57 was sent to rescue. 57 hauled the unit DIT into platform 5 circa 0440.

Wire repairs ongoing.

Thanks for the info. I found out today that it was actually a separate event involving a VT service, but I didn't know the details.

soul45

Was on the Liverpool train...hell of a mess woman was about 30 years old had been drinking had a falling out with her friends and in a fit of temper or what ever jumped in to the four foot...her friend and a young chap tried to pull her out but the train on the up hit her into the stopping Liverpool...was traveling pass so helped the staff with the passengers...had two others before this but this was the worst I've seen

SPADTrap

Established Member
Was on the Liverpool train...hell of a mess woman was about 30 years old had been drinking had a falling out with her friends and in a fit of temper or what ever jumped in to the four foot...her friend and a young chap tried to pull her out but the train on the up hit her into the stopping Liverpool...was traveling pass so helped the staff with the passengers...had two others before this but this was the worst I've seen

That makes pretty chilling reading :(

Status
Not open for further replies.