• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Penrith platform 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamedwards

Is this ever used by a passenger service? Curious after catching the train from Penrith yesterday.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Condor7

This is a photo taken two years ago of a Paignton - Carlisle charter at the platform but I cannot recall if it was just held there or if passengers got off.
https://condor7.smugmug.com/Transport/Locations/CarlislePenrith-300916/i-KtjFgJw

I do however remember a passenger charter within the last two years stopping for a mid journey break where passengers had time to get off and explore Penrith, but again the details now allude me. I cannot recall hearing of a scheduled service using the platform though for many years but it may have happened. It is used to hold freight trains from time to time to allow passenger trains to pass.

DelW

Established Member
I was on a charter train at the end of July which disembarked passengers for coaches to Ullswater and Alston at platform 3 (the train continued to Carlisle). IIRC only about the front two or three coaches were at the platform, so a lot of us had to walk forward through the train.

My travelling companion, who finds stairs difficult, was unimpressed by the absence of lifts at the subway as well.

civ-eng-jim

My travelling companion, who finds stairs difficult, was unimpressed by the absence of lifts at the subway as well.

There's been a footbridge with lift access since the middle of last year - I'm sure it was in by July (But may not have been open for use when you visited on the charter train)

driver9000

Established Member
Yes it is used occasionally and I have called there with a passenger train several times. It will hold a single 350 easily but an 8 car has to have the rear set doors out of use if it has to use platform 3 similar to how they were worked at Manchester Oxford Road.

route101

Established Member
Yes it is used occasionally and I have called there with a passenger train several times. It will hold a single 350 easily but an 8 car has to have the rear set doors out of use if it has to use platform 3 similar to how they were worked at Manchester Oxford Road.

When did that happen ?

DelW

Established Member
There's been a footbridge with lift access since the middle of last year - I'm sure it was in by July (But may not have been open for use when you visited on the charter train)
Ah, we didn't spot that - I think we were probably in sheep mode, just following everyone in front of us.
We boarded the return train at Appleby, which also involved stairs to cross to the up platform. Fortunately a good dinner on the return journey got me out of trouble ;)

The loop that Platform 3 is on has a 25mph PSR on entry and the signal overlap of the P2 platform starter means that nothing can be signalled into P2 if something is leaving P3. These restrictions probably make it difficult to signal regular service trains into P3 without incurring time penalties but make it perfect for recessing a charter or freight train.

TBSchenker

When did that happen ?

I have also used Platform 3 at Penrith, due to late running a footplate swap was done there, instead of Carlisle, with a southbound service.

Some TPE services are also regulated there to allow Virgin services past.

takno

Established Member
Around 1 in 60 of the northbound trains goes through the platform 3 loop. I would guess that most of these are looped freight or similar rather than passenger trains though

TBSchenker

There are no regular passenger trains booked in P3, but it is a fully serviceable platform that is available for a passenger train to use (as long as it can fit)

Killingworth

Established Member
Memories! When DMUs were new my father took me from Newcastle to Carlisle with front seat views of line ahead all. Then the same down to Maryport and Workington to take the Keswick line to Penrith. Steam hauled via Appleby and Kirby Stephen over Stainmore to Darlington and then afternoon tea on the late running Pullman back up to Newcastle. A long wait at Penrith when I got this shot with a box Brownie camera. A different world! Presumably two bays at Penrith then.
img171.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.