• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Penryn to Blackpool via Hereford today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
My son was sold a single ticket on train. Penryn - Blackpool North. Around £60 with YP railcard discount. (good price) The ticket is anytime. But says via Hereford.
I assume this means he has to travel via Hereford.
Now left Truro on 10.43 Train.
I assume change at Plymouth, Bristol TM, Newport, Hereford, Manchester arrive BPN 21.09 ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

James Wake

Would appear to be the case unfortunately, the CrossCountry fare is more than double! Might be worth next time looking at split ticketing, but yes he will have to travel via Hereford or pay nearly another £65.

James Wake

Might be worth looking at connections via Shrewsbury or Chester and Crewe, then up to Preston then Blackpool. There is a Crewe to Blackpool Virgin Train at 1820, but I don't think he'll make it to Crewe in time.

cuccir

Established Member
Blimey that is a remarkable amount of changes!

The following would get him in at 20:46, based on journey planners.

13:25 Plymouth - Bristol TM (CrossCountry to Edinburgh)
15:54 Bristol TM - Newport (Great Western to Cardiff)
16:35 Newport - Crewe (Arriva Train Wales to Chester)
19:09 Crewe - Preston (Virgin Trains to Edinburgh)
20:19 Preston - Blackpool North (Northern to Blackpool North)

The tightest connection is at Newport: in the event of missing it there's a 17:04 that follows the same route, with changes at same locations.

Romilly

Established Member
Quickest option appears to involve changing at Plymouth, Bristol TM, Newport, Crewe and Preston, arriving Blackpool North at 2046.

That involves arriving at Crewe at 1827, so there's an outside chance of getting the 1820 Crewe-Blackpool North train if it's running late.

NB the 1043 from Truro arrives Plymouth at 1157. So in time to get the 1225 arriving Bristol at 1426, then the 1454 arriving Newport at 1527, then the 1604 arriving Crewe 1827 as mentioned. So not quite as tight as the journey planners suggest (they assume that one would start later from Truro).

Last edited:
Many thanks for your advice. Lots of changes with a heavy bag. changing at Crewe to Preston rather than via Manchester is a big improvement than looking at national rail!

gray1404

Established Member
Be sure to get him to claim delay repay if he arrives at Blackpool 30 or more minutes late. He will need to keep hold of the ticket and not let the ticket barrier eat it (i.e. go through the manual barrier and tell him he needs to keep the ticket to claim.)

Status
Not open for further replies.