• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Penshurst - Southampton Airport via Edenbridge / Polegate - valid via Havant - Eastleigh or Southampton Central?

Status
Not open for further replies.

miklcct

On Moderation
I have got the ticket as titled with the intention of using the coastal route, in combination with a Southampton Airport - Bournemouth ticket home. The itinerary I have on my ticket on 26/3 is changing at Fratton, then Eastleigh for a rail replacement bus to Southampton Airport, however, the train from Havant goes to Southampton Central, if I change there I can save 2 transfers.

Does a Penshurst - Southampton Airport via Edenbridge / Polegate ticket, after Havant, valid via Eastleigh or Southampton Central?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fenchurch SP

I have got the ticket as titled with the intention of using the coastal route, in combination with a Southampton Airport - Bournemouth ticket home. The itinerary I have on my ticket on 26/3 is changing at Fratton, then Eastleigh for a rail replacement bus to Southampton Airport, however, the train from Havant goes to Southampton Central, if I change there I can save 2 transfers.

Does a Penshurst - Southampton Airport via Edenbridge / Polegate ticket, after Havant, valid via Eastleigh or Southampton Central?
I'm fairly sure it is valid via either. If you try a journey from somewhere like Barnham to the Airport on the NRE journey planner then a single is fine via Southampton Central.

Nunners

It can be used via Eastleigh or Southampton Central

cornishjohn

It can be used via Eastleigh or Southampton Central
I can get the GWR website to give me itineraries on that fare via Southampton Central if I specify avoid Eastleigh.

Can anyone explain the fine detail of why this is not a double back through St Denys - is there an easement here, or are station groups in play?

jfollows

Established Member
1645708888109.png
page10image3444882784
Customers travelling via Southampton Airport Parkway to Bitterne, Woolston, Sholing, Netley, Hamble, Bursledon, Swanwick, Fareham and beyond may double back between St Denys and Southampton Central. This easement applies in both directions.

miklcct

On Moderation
Can anyone explain the fine detail of why this is not a double back through St Denys - is there an easement here, or are station groups in play?
Stations between Southampton Airport and Southampton Central are in Southampton Group, but not Eastleigh.

I was thinking very hard why Eastleigh was permitted as I couldn't find any mapped route involving Fareham - Eastleigh, and neither it's on the shortest route from Penshurst / Edenbridge to Southampton Airport, and now I have found out because it is on the shortest route between Polegate (one of the via points) and Southampton Airport!

So I think I've got the reasoning that it's really valid via both ways - via Southampton Central because of the station group rule, and via Eastleigh because of the shortest path rule.

I think the easement doesn't exactly apply here - as I'm travelling to Southampton Airport, not via it.

alistairlees

Established Member
The relationship between easement text and easement data is often fairly tenuous; don’t assume that you can work out the data from the text.

Status
Not open for further replies.