• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pensioner free bus pass query

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilmc

I understand that the loophole whereby a pensioner free bus pass could be used on National Express services on sections where the stops were less than 15 miles apart had been closed, by a provision that the pass did not need to be accepted if a majority of seats on a service could be pre-booked.

If this is so, what about people whose ONLY "bus" service is National Express?
I'm thinking of Crowden in Derbyshire where the 350 National Express is, as far as I can tell, the only service, and it doesn't even appear in Derbyshire CCC's transport guide.

(I'm lookin for some kind of "easement" which would allow my father-in-law to use this service for free from Chesterfield to Manchester!)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCR247

Established Member
I swear they get discounts on trains to Manchester? Helpful if he can't get on the coach for free?

starrymarkb

Established Member
If they did take it chances are he'd have to alight at Crowden and wait for the next coach

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Afar as I am aware, through recent contacts with National Express, the only route where ENCTS passes are accepted is the 727 on a stand by basis between Norwich and Thetford, note, this does not include the 490 route which also runs between Norwich and Thetford.

I have used this ONCE, I just turned up at Surrey Street bus station and spoke to the driver, he seemed aware of the circs and let me on HOWEVER that is not to say other drivers will be aware.

TP

bus man

This may sound harsh but the goverment requirment is for every person of the right age to get a bus pass, it does not say they get a bus pass and will have a local service to use it. There are lots of places that dont have bus services I understand your point though perhaps you can get a local councillor involved in trying to get a agreement with national express . How many coaches use crowden during pass times ?

starrymarkb

Established Member
This may sound harsh but the goverment requirment is for every person of the right age to get a bus pass, it does not say they get a bus pass and will have a local service to use it. There are lots of places that dont have bus services I understand your point though perhaps you can get a local councillor involved in trying to get a agreement with national express . How many coaches use crowden during pass times ?

I don't think they are interested in going to Crowden, the way I read it was that they were hoping to use split ticketing to do it as a through Sheffield to Manchester journey (without alighting at Crowden). Plus if they did take the pass there is a possibility it might be in one direction only (ie Passes are accepted on the Oxford Tube between Lewknor and Oxford as the Tube is the only service that serves the Village but NOT Lewknor to London)

Of course if you were desperate to do it on a senior pass you could always X17 to Matlock and Transpeak from there.

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
This may sound harsh but the goverment requirment is for every person of the right age to get a bus pass, it does not say they get a bus pass and will have a local service to use it.

Exactly. There are villages near me that have a train station and can't justify a bus service as well as a train service so they just get served by trains. Therefore a trip to the nearest supermarket would be by train not by bus.

anthony263

Established Member
This is the same with certainly places along the Heart if wales line I have see a few oap's travel on the train down to Llandovery/Llandrindod to go shopping before getting the train back.

neilmc

Or the 66 to Buxton and change there?

Thanks, they know of both of these routes - I was wondering if there was a feasible route through Sheffield but unfortunately the 350 is a NE coach service.

radamfi

Established Member
Old people used to get half fare coach travel in England where the coach operator charged half fare in return for receiving BSOG. But that arrangement ended last year. That is why National Express have now reinstated their Senior Coachcard, giving a third off fares.

Smethwickian

I'm thinking of Crowden in Derbyshire where the 350 National Express is, as far as I can tell, the only service, and it doesn't even appear in Derbyshire CCC's transport guide.

It's in the coach timetable section of the Peak District guide and, if I recall correctly, although the route is not delineated on the map there always used to be a note printed near Crowden that the service stopped there.

neilmc

I bring up Crowden as it's a bit of an anomaly - an area which is ONLY served by National Express coaches, on which a pensioner pass would formerly have been valid on the grounds that the section of route passing through Crowden would have been licensed as "stage carriage" (also stops at Hollingworth and Langsett), and which is a part of Derbyshire but isolated in transport terms, with what little public trasnport it does have passing through the "panhandle" between Greater Manchester and South Yorkshire!

I think the problem was that once these "stage carriage" sections of NE had been discovered, people were using them to take quite long free journeys especially in the South-East and pre-booked passengers were sometimes finding they couldn't board a London coach because it was chocka with day trippers with passes.

Stats

I think you are referring to concessionary bus passes which are available to everybody over the female state pension age and disabled people. These passes, as you say, are not valid on services where more than half the seats can be reserved. However, where they provide an important local service the local authority has the ability to offer an exception on a discretionary basis.

neilmc

I think you are referring to concessionary bus passes which are available to everybody over the female state pension age and disabled people. These passes, as you say, are not valid on services where more than half the seats can be reserved. However, where they provide an important local service the local authority has the ability to offer an exception on a discretionary basis.

Yes I do, I said "pensioner" so as not to confuse the issue with children's concessions. I doubt whether Derbyshire council would be interested in this one
as it's only a "Derbyshire" service for a very small number of Derbyshire residents and traverses other counties. Although if anyone knows different ...

Status
Not open for further replies.