• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Penzance Helicopters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Does anyone know whether the planned new helicopter service from Penzance to the Isles of Scilly, due to commence tomorrow from the new heliport in Jelbert's Way, is actually going ahead? There's a remarkable lack of recent news on their website, or that of the heliport, and I've not heard a helicopter in the skies around here in the last few days that wasn't the air ambulance or rescue services. Nothing on local TV news either.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Richard P

My understanding is it does start this week although I think they've had to bring in a different helicopter as the one(s) they ordered have been held up in China. Will watch with interest how successful this is as the cost for a 30 minute round trip is £245.00. Prior to closure of the previous heliport it never cost me more than £90.00 return. Glad I went then as I certainly couldn't justify spending £490.00 on a day trip to St Marys! Link: https://penzanceheliport.co.uk/

Busaholic

Veteran Member
My understanding is it does start this week although I think they've had to bring in a different helicopter as the one(s) they ordered have been held up in China. Will watch with interest how successful this is as the cost for a 30 minute round trip is £245.00. Prior to closure of the previous heliport it never cost me more than £90.00 return. Glad I went then as I certainly couldn't justify spending £490.00 on a day trip to St Marys! Link: https://penzanceheliport.co.uk/
I was quite surprised while at the paper/cardboard bank at Sainsbury's about 5 p.m. today to hear, and then see through the cloud, a slimline dark blue(?) helicopter take off from the heliport and pass overhead: noticeably much quieter than the previous B.I.H. 'copters.

ian959

China!? Thought they were made in Yeovil, are these secondhand?

They are actually made in Italy now, not sure whether any helicopters are actually made in Yeovil anymore? I was under the impression the factory was closed a few years ago (Cue memories of holidays in Yeovil watching helicopters being test flown there)

Not sure how successful they will be using an AW139 and charging £245 for a return flight. Not exactly a price many people can afford!

Meerkat

Established Member
They are actually made in Italy now, not sure whether any helicopters are actually made in Yeovil anymore? I was under the impression the factory was closed a few years ago (Cue memories of holidays in Yeovil watching helicopters being test flown there)

Not sure how successful they will be using an AW139 and charging £245 for a return flight. Not exactly a price many people can afford!

Quick google says Yeovil is still making Wildcats and Merlins but not sure they have any current orders - factory still open though
Final assembly of AW139s is in Philly, Italy and Russia.

Mikey C

Established Member
The AW139 has never been made in Yeovil, as it's from the Italian side of the business

The larger AW189 does have an assembly line in Yeovil though

thejuggler

It was £70 for a day return when we went to the Scilly Isles in 94 or 95.

The boat was £35. Within half an hour of being on the old tub on a choppy sea I wish we'd had enough cash to take the helicopter!

Status
Not open for further replies.