• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Penzance Sleeper - Any Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whhistle

On Moderation
Just wondering if this is any good?
Are the cabins okay?
Looking at a Friday - Sunday maybe, depending on price.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I used it in August; it's good.

You'll probably find it cheaper midweek though - although we are out of the holiday season, Fridays to Penzance and Sundays to London will see heavier business travel.

David Andrews

Cabins are newly refurbished with power and USB sockets and fold-down ladder to access the top bunk. Breakfast is limited (drink and bacon roll, cold croissant or cereal). There are a cost-effective way of getting to Cornwall (or London depending where you start) and watching the Cornish countryside in the morning, preferably from the lounge car, is lovely. However the new Caledonian sleepers should outdo them next year.

Established Member
Cabins are newly refurbished with power and USB sockets and fold-down ladder to access the top bunk. However the new Caledonian sleepers should outdo them next year.

I believe only 2 or 3 SLEP coaches have been done so far. And with regards to CS I would hope they outdo them with brand new stock and higher prices.

co-tr-paul

Can I point you to the Night Riviera thread in the Traction section. Only 3 sleeper coaches remain to be refurbished.
Photos can be found by searching on Flickr

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I have to admit that the first thing I did in the refurbished cabin was move the pillow back to the correct end of the bunk - too many bits around my head at the "new" end for my liking!

whhistle

On Moderation
Thanks.

I'm on a priv rate so prices aren't too bad, but will play the system and look at some advances.
Just hope it'll be better than the Venice to Vienna sleeper!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Not done that one, but the European ones seem to be on their last legs and mostly targetted at low budget travellers, while the UK ones are a bit more premium (wouldn't say luxury!) and are targetted at business users and better-off tourists (the seats being for budget travellers).

Status
Not open for further replies.