Penzance.

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by 83G/84D, 10 Nov 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 83G/84D

83G/84D Established Member

Not too far from goongumpas treacle mine!
    Station to receive a refurbishment next year. Work will start on the roof in February / March and when that is complete attention will turn to ground level.

The main idea is to make the station look brighter after regular complaints that the part under the roof is dark and dingy.Extra clear roof panels and additional lighting will help.

I saw the plans yesterday and when work is complete the station will look much better.

NO ticket barriers planned though.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. charlee

charlee Member

Where can u see the plans? Or are they for the "in the know"

4. 83G/84D

I don't think they are on general (public) display yet. I think some details were revealed at a recent Cornish "Meet the Manager" event.

5. richw

richw Established Member

surely some planning permission will of been put through? If so plans will be available somewhere publically

6. Paul Sidorczuk

Paul Sidorczuk Veteran Member

The very best part of rural Cheshire East.
    The station is indeed in need of better lighting in the main station shed. The proposals above are to be welcomed.

7. charlee

charlee Member

Yes it is very dull dark and gloomy in penzance. Maybe cover the 3rd platform and bring it into the main concourse. I always found it weird being outside leading on to the pavement

8. brad465

brad465 Member

With a shed that isn't even that large and looks like something built in the 1940-50's, the station definately needs a refurbishment. All that looks modern are the signals. ;)

9. Bedpan

Bedpan Member

I actually quite like it. The train shed gives it an air of the station being bigger than it is (a bit like Blackfriars was). MAybe the fact that it has a 50s feel to it stirs a sense of nostalgia. Also, Platform 4 is a bit quirky, if you were arriving for the first time you could be forgiven for gaining the impression that that is all there was there. Not sure that I'd want to arrive at platform 4 on a rainy day in winter though, I've only been there when the weather's been okay.

10. MidnightFlyer

MidnightFlyer Veteran Member

The third platform is inside the shed...

If you mean platform 4, which does indeed lead directly out of the station, the whole point of that platform was for Motorail services, as well as passenger trains, hence its existence / location.

11. TEW

TEW Established Member

The whole station is pretty dingy, the roof really doesn't help. Nice new roof panels will make a difference. The toilets are pretty dingy as well.

12. stockport1

stockport1 Member

Was in penzance on sunday. :D
    Was a lovely clear sky day...surfers at sennen. couldnt believe it was november.

The station badly needs a tidy up.

13. raildude

raildude Member

Are there any facilities at Penzance (or even Plymouth) for sleeper customers?

14. Zoe

Zoe Established Member

There's a customer lounge at Plymouth. Since the dedicated Plymouth coach was withdrawn in 2006 this is where you can wait for the train to arrive.

15. TEW

TEW Established Member

At Penzance the train is unlocked thirty minutes before departure but otherwise no. In the morning the cafe is open. Many passengers board at intermediate stations between Penzance and Plymouth anyway.

16. 83G/84D

Nothing at Penzance but perhaps they could share the mess room on Platform 3 with the drivers!:lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.