• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

People allowed in the cab

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
If you were driving a train, and a close friend or family member was using it, would they be allowed to sit in the cab with you or is that strictly not allowed?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dave1987

On Moderation
If you were driving a train, and a close friend or family member was using it, would they be allowed to sit in the cab with you or is that strictly not allowed?

Only people allowed in the cab are people with cab passes. These come in various different guises. But no you couldn't.

bramling

Veteran Member

Strictly not allowed.

The only exception would be if an official visit was arranged, where the visitors would normally be accompanied by (the equivalent of) a traction inspector.

On London Underground cab rides can and do get arranged, normally the person would be placed with an Instructor, who is used to having people with him/her. A manager will normally accompany, although as long as the person is with an instructor then that's not essential.

Last edited:

ExRes

Established Member

Absolutely no and strictly not allowed

I guess there may be the possibility that an arranged cab ride might be allowed still, I defer to those currently drivers on that one, if it were arranged beforehand and with a DSM or the like also in attendance

If the rules have changed recently I would be most surprised

6Gman

Established Member
delete this bit:- [The rules used to be slightly more relaxed.]

The enforcement of the rules used to be slightly more relaxed.

Last edited:

Tio Terry

Years ago I had a cab pass that allowed me to cab ride for company purposes, but even then, if the driver said no then no meant no. Drivers word was final.

dk1

Veteran Member
And anyone with a cab pass or VIP accompanied by a DM can still be refused if the driver doesn't want company.

Monty

Established Member
Strictly speaking you also need to have a cab pass to be in a driving cab that is not being used to drive the train. Or that's how it works on SWT anyway, in the guard's case their train working licence acts as the pass. And any relevant inspector or manager who doesn't hold a guards/driver competency but duties require them to be in the cab should have one. Otherwise no pass no entry.

Last edited:

1966mcta

For my 60th birthday (a few years ago now), a friend of mine who is a driver arranged a cab ride for me. He had to get a VIP pass from "high up" and we had to have an additional person in the cab with us, as you are not allowed to distract the driver. I believe I was probably very lucky to get the ride, my friend is a very senior driver/instructor which helped.

notadriver

Established Member
In my TOC other drivers are allowed to ride up front but conductors aren't which is a bit strange.

Zamracene749

I'd like to hope most drivers would be able to maintain concentration with somebody else in the cab. Seems a shame that interpretations of hse rules forbid entry in most cases

Last edited:

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Do all freight trains have a second person in the cab (the traction inspector) or will it depend on things like the tonnage of the train, the length of the train, what's being carried on the train, etc?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Why? Do any of the train drivers on here honestly think they would be unable to do their job to an adequate safety level just because there was somebody else in the cab? How did the steam men manage with those pesky firemen?

because that is what the rules say and if you want to keep your job following the rules is a good idea!

Do all freight trains have a second person in the cab (the traction inspector) or will it depend on things like the tonnage of the train, the length of the train, what's being carried on the train, etc?

No idea but they don't seem to often have a second man on board

Dhassell

Some freight drivers have two drivers, I assume its so that for long journeys without Platform Crew Changes that they can swap when they get tired etc.

driver9000

Established Member
Some freight drivers have two drivers, I assume its so that for long journeys without Platform Crew Changes that they can swap when they get tired etc.

The second person in the cab of freight trains is more than likely a shunter required at some locations.

Freight crew changes happen away from stations so no need to carry the relief Driver around, they will turn up in a van.

ExRes

Established Member
I often wonder if I'd be allowed my dog in my cab with me whilst driving.

Funny you should ask that, back in the 90s there actually was a Gatwick Express driver who carried her German Shepherd in the cab for 'security', I'm not sure how long she got away with but it was stopped, after negotiations with Rover of course .......

LowLevel

Established Member
In my TOC other drivers are allowed to ride up front but conductors aren't which is a bit strange.

Our lot cracked down on guards being up front following a couple of SPADs during which distraction was thought to possibly be a factor, drivers and guards both nearly lost their jobs over it. It was a regular thing for many years. We're still required to do so during certain equipment failures (but not AWS anymore), can do if the train is at a stand at a red signal during disruption or to examine the line in poor weather and the Control duty manager has been known to request it on occasion if the driver has reported feeling unwell at a remote location to keep an eye on them while they get back to somewhere more helpful.

Last edited:

Harbornite

Established Member
because that is what the rules say and if you want to keep your job following the rules is a good idea!

Not to mention the fact that the fireman had an important reason to be in the cab, and the railways weren't as safe or professional back then.

Deepgreen

Established Member
I was lucky enough to be allowed into the cab on LU frequently back in the early 1980s when travelling between stations for my then role. Sometimes accompanied by an Area Manger (who would often take over from the driver to 'keep his hand in'), and sometimes not. Happy days!

rebmcr

Established Member
Funny you should ask that, back in the 90s there actually was a Gatwick Express driver who carried her German Shepherd in the cab for 'security', I'm not sure how long she got away with but it was stopped, after negotiations with Rover of course .......

So Rovers are not valid on GatEx? :D

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Technically, you can cab the Class 139 whenever it is in service!

Apart from that, I was in London last week and did the Olympia shuttles. After chatting to the driver who had been doing them all day and who couldn't believe I had come all the way from London to do them, he said that if i had had a blue coat on he would have been happy for me to cab the S-Stock that was running it

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Our lot cracked down on guards being up front following a couple of SPADs during which distraction was thought to possibly be a factor, drivers and guards both nearly lost their jobs over it. It was a regular thing for many years. We're still required to do so during certain equipment failures (but not AWS anymore), can do if the train is at a stand at a red signal during disruption or to examine the line in poor weather and the Control duty manager has been known to request it on occasion if the driver has reported feeling unwell at a remote location to keep an eye on them while they get back to somewhere more helpful.

The report into Cowden had mention of a guard in the cab of the unit that had the SPAD, though as both crew members were killed the exact circumstances will remain a mystery.

When I was little my dad took me and my brothers on a train ride one Christmas eve so our mum could wrap the presents- the driver of the 142 let us all in the cab to Penistone. Wouldn't happen now!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
When I was little my dad took me and my brothers on a train ride one Christmas eve so our mum could wrap the presents- the driver of the 142 let us all in the cab to Penistone. Wouldn't happen now!

When I was about 14 we used to ask the driver of the Waterloo train if we could have a cab ride up the bank from St David's to Exeter Central. Sometimes they'd say no, sometimes yes. I had cab rides in two 50s and a 33 up there, the driver would tell you to duck down if there were platform staff around!

Polarbear

Established Member
These days, the answer is no. In years gone by, whilst the rules were there, some crew members were a little more relaxed about letting people into the cab.

I've had a cab ride around the Liverpool Loop (in a 503 so that should date it) and around the same era, a cab ride between Chester & Holyhead.

Even in those days, it was a risky thing to do as drivers could get disciplined for such actions! On the latter occasion, the driver on the Chester - Holyhead turn shoved me into the back cab & told me to keep my head down passing signal-boxes on the way out, as an inspector turned up at the last minute!

On the return leg, I was allowed up-front, alighting at Chester station somewhat further from any platform that I would care to venture these days!

Status
Not open for further replies.