• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

People getting in the way of photoraphers at galas and the wailers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shredder1

Established Member
I`m always amazed at the moaners at galas, I think you have to accept that these event are busy and its likely that someone will always get in your way, I don`t think anyone does it intentially, but why start crying like a big girls blouse, just move somewhere else or patiently wait.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Totally agree shredder1, I've done a fair bit of photography at galas over the years and it's just something you have to accept, I've never once yelled at anyone stood in the way of my shot though perhaps once or twice very politely asked if they wouldn't mind standing aside for a second whilst I grabbed it. The thing is everyone has as much right to do/stand as they please at these events but some of the more selfish camera toting individuals think it's organised just for them, if there is time set aside for a photo shoot before or after the regular punters attend (and quite often there is) get your shots then, and if you are too stingy to pay a little bit more then "shut up & put up"

shredder1

Established Member
I had one guy stood under a tree in Camouflage gear about 200 yards behind me once shouting at me, I didn’t even see him and had to explain to him that if he spoke to me like that ever again he`d be wearing his camera over his head ;)

Bertie the bus

Established Member
If you think some people don’t intentionally get in the way or do so without caring about other people then you are very naïve. However, having said that, some photographers are both incredibly rude and intolerant of others. I’ve told some to shut up on numerous occasions, especially if they start ranting or swearing at kids or families or whinging that somebody stood 200 yards away is spoiling their shot.

shredder1

Established Member
If you think some people don’t intentionally get in the way or do so without caring about other people then you are very naïve. However, having said that, some photographers are both incredibly rude and intolerant of others. I’ve told some to shut up on numerous occasions, especially if they start ranting or swearing at kids or families or whinging that somebody stood 200 yards away is spoiling their shot.

I`ve unintentionally got in the way of others sometimes when I`ve not noticed them, if they`ve spoken to me in a reasonable manner I`ve apologised and moved.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
I'm not saying you intentionally get in people's way. I've unintentionally got in the way. I'm sure everybody has at some point but there are people who make a sport out of spoiling things for others.

Temple Meads

Established Member
Like most things it's a two way street, there are selfish photographers who don't seem to have any patience or manners, and there are also people who wander around unaware of their surroundings, and the photographers.

shredder1

Established Member
It always amazes me when someone with a camera in their hands looks at you and then stands in the way while you are taking a photograph, I`m sure they are more totally brain dead than actually doing it on purpose

evoluzione

I pulled into a platform a while ago, small platform and I had two lovely 142s so had to drag it right to the end to just about fit on.

I saw a group with cameras all setup on tripods at the end, as I pulled in I opened my window to politely ask what what was coming through and assure them I’d be out of there way very quickly.

I got a mouthful of abuse for my trouble, which funnily stopped as soon as I got out my cab to “speak” to them.

Unfortunately for the spotters after getting out my cab, my 142s seemed to develop an odd door fault (hazard light just wouldn’t go out for some reason) my highly amused guard and myself managed to “fix” the problem shortly after a steam train had come thundering past on the opposite line.

Who knows but if they had been nice and showed any manners maybe the Brake MCB wouldn’t have tripped in the guards cab and they would of got there shots.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I pulled into a platform a while ago, small platform and I had two lovely 142s so had to drag it right to the end to just about fit on.

I saw a group with cameras all setup on tripods at the end, as I pulled in I opened my window to politely ask what what was coming through and assure them I’d be out of there way very quickly.

I got a mouthful of abuse for my trouble, which funnily stopped as soon as I got out my cab to “speak” to them.

Unfortunately for the spotters after getting out my cab, my 142s seemed to develop an odd door fault (hazard light just wouldn’t go out for some reason) my highly amused guard and myself managed to “fix” the problem shortly after a steam train had come thundering past on the opposite line.

Who knows but if they had been nice and showed any manners maybe the Brake MCB wouldn’t have tripped in the guards cab and they would of got there shots.

Well that was so inconsiderate of you wasn't it,;) I mean it's absolutely outrageous that revenue earning services should get in the way of my so important shot! I really would love to have witnessed that,....would have truly made my day <D

Temple Meads

Established Member
It always amazes me when someone with a camera in their hands looks at you and then stands in the way while you are taking a photograph, I`m sure they are more totally brain dead than actually doing it on purpose

You would think photographers would have more consideration for people trying to get a good composition, but often they seem completely unaware!

A lot of the 'blockers' probably haven't done any serious photography in their lives so they won't necessarily understand how photographers' work ;)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've got a video clip on my phone of a guy that we were talking to at the GWR diesel gala last year giving another photographer a load of stick for getting in the way of his photo.
If ever I want a chuckle I give it a watch. :D
I always try not to get in the way of peoples photos and not had any problems yet, that's just courtesy though, if anyone moaned at me I'd be more than happy to have a word back though.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Some people are just so angry, you wonder how they get on with their lives.

The Old Oak Common gala was full of idiots hollering away at people just wondering around. There were thousands of people there and people seemed to expect everyone would move out of the way just for them. I got clean pics of every locomotive, unin and coach on display there with just a little patience, no more than a minute's wait each time.

Then of course for those people in the way of the shot, just a little photoshop and they disappear. Those yelling obviously lack the skills to be a good photographer!

martian boy

At galas, open days, it's going to happen. Not too much of a problem in this day and age of digital photography, just delete the spoiled photo and retake. Stand there long enough, and you'll get the shot you want. Just accept there are going to be a lot of people there, and they don't have eyes in the back of their head.

The big problem arises when you are doing photography in other places. I have had people to stand in front of me, start a conversation, knowing full well I'm aiming my camera at something. This may be a British problem.

Taking photos of buses in Switzerland, people were very considerate. Some people actually stopped walking if they couldn't pass behind me, until I took the photo. On one occasion, a bus was coming through a narrowed section of road, a car had to give way. The driver saw me with the camera and waited a distance away from the Stop Line. A wave and thank you from me, a nod from him, after a good photo. People at railway stations were also very considerate.

Slightly off topic. I did once clear a bus load of druggies. There was a bus enthusiast taking photos of the buses on the town centre main road. It's a one way system so photography is generally easy. Driving down the hill to the town centre the bus was now full with over half the passengers being the local drug mob. One man sitting close to the cab was getting a little fed up with this mob mouthing off. He knows me by sight and knows I'm interested in transport. "Driver." He suddenly said. "Do you know there was a bus photographer in town earlier? Do you know him?" I looked at him for a second then at the local drug mob. "He's not a bus enthusiast. He works for the Benefit Agency!" I said in a loud voice. The bell rang at the same time there was silence. The mob got off the bus several stops early. They were not seen for the rest of the day.

shredder1

Established Member
Some people are just so angry, you wonder how they get on with their lives.

The Old Oak Common gala was full of idiots hollering away at people just wondering around. There were thousands of people there and people seemed to expect everyone would move out of the way just for them. I got clean pics of every locomotive, unin and coach on display there with just a little patience, no more than a minute's wait each time.

Then of course for those people in the way of the shot, just a little photoshop and they disappear. Those yelling obviously lack the skills to be a good photographer!

Yes that`s the key to it, patience, everyone has the right to wonder around at those events.

pdeaves

Established Member
I can never understand why people go to big public events and expect there not to be any other people there. Be more creative with photos, get other people in them for atmosphere. In my view, pictures like this https://www.flickr.com/photos/pdeaves/36162574034/ (my photo, just using it as an example) from Old Oak Common open day are far more interesting then a human-free image of a static train.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I can never understand why people go to big public events and expect there not to be any other people there. Be more creative with photos, get other people in them for atmosphere. In my view, pictures like this https://www.flickr.com/photos/pdeaves/36162574034/ (my photo, just using it as an example) from Old Oak Common open day are far more interesting then a human-free image of a static train.

Couldn't agree more - open days are there for everybody not just photographers. I, like the people in the photo, like to use open days to get up close and personal to locos in a way you can't when its in a platform for example.

shredder1

Established Member
Couldn't agree more - open days are there for everybody not just photographers. I, like the people in the photo, like to use open days to get up close and personal to locos in a way you can't when its in a platform for example.

Yes I`m like that, but you always get some soft sod moaning like a women at some point, the threat of a slap usually shuts them up ;)

james60059

Makes me chuckle when lineside photographers have a moan about lineside pass holders being in the shot at the GCR :lol::lol:.

shredder1

Established Member
Makes me chuckle when lineside photographers have a moan about lineside pass holders being in the shot at the GCR :lol::lol:.

Yes it gets me a bit that one, however, others and myself included try to keep out of the way of non lineside pass holders , I visit a lot of railways over a 12 month period and couldnt possibly have a lineside pass for all of them, so I tend to take out a different one each year and in some cases don`t get chance to use them. I expect others do this also, hence why I try to keep out of the way when I`m using a lineside pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.