• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

People locking themselves in the toilet when I need to use it

Status
Not open for further replies.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
For example: One has IBS or a similar condition and would like the other one to keep them company.

My mother and one of my very close friends have diagnosed IBS and I can get similar symptoms from time to time (it is on my to do list to book a doctors appointment as I suspect I have it too). None of us have done as you describe. Partly because often the toilets are so small that they are a pretty tight squeeze for one person, there is no way at all two people could comfortable fit in there (especially if one of them is actually using the toilet), but mainly because that is just ludicrous. Very much feels like scrapping the barrel of excuses to me!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Esker-pades

Established Member
My mother and one of my very close friends have diagnosed IBS and I can get similar symptoms from time to time (it is on my to do list to book a doctors appointment as I suspect I have it too). None of us have done as you describe. Partly because often the toilets are so small that they are a pretty tight squeeze for one person, there is no way at all two people could comfortable fit in there (especially if one of them is actually using the toilet), but mainly because that is just ludicrous. Very much feels like scrapping the barrel of excuses to me!
3 people is a massive study.

Darandio

Established Member
it is on my to do list to book a doctors appointment as I suspect I have it too

Please put it to the top of your list and have it looked at, through personal experience I cannot stress this enough.

My mother initially was diagnosed IBS many years ago, sometime in the 1990's. In 2006 she then started to develop an inflammation on her right side and stubbornly refused to go and get it seen to, the christening of our youngest was approaching and she was adamant she wanted to organise everything, nothing would persuade her otherwise, believe me we tried. Once the christening was over she eventually went to the doctor and was diagnosed with Crohn's disease. Over the next 8 years she had 3 strokes, each one more severe than the last and we were told that Crohn's disease was a likely trigger for these, although they could not confirm whether delaying the diagnosis and subsequent treatment had an effect. She passed away in April 2016.

3 people is a massive study.

1 person is a good enough study if it reflects that person's real-world experiences.

If I try to travel on BA from Heathrow to Beijing and the flight is delayed, the comms are non-existent, the onboard food is cold, the in-flight entertainment has failed and the cabin crew are non-existent then I don't care about the 10/10 approval rating BA have got on TrustPilot (or other forum).

My experience is all that counts.

Esker-pades

Established Member
1 person is a good enough study if it reflects that person's real-world experiences.

If I try to travel on BA from Heathrow to Beijing and the flight is delayed, the comms are non-existent, the onboard food is cold, the in-flight entertainment has failed and the cabin crew are non-existent then I don't care about the 10/10 approval rating BA have got on TrustPilot (or other forum).

The comparison of a single customer experience or the experience of three people cannot be extrapolated out to all the reasons which people do a thing.

route:oxford

Established Member
So two adults (who are obviously a couple) go into a train toilet together with totally innocent intentions?

Absolutely.

There are many reasons why two people would enter a lavatory together. From assisting changing an adult nappy, refreshing a stoma bag, adjusting a catheter, assisting sitting or standing. Even people who are terrified of using electronic controls to open, close and lock a door.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Sorry - but my 30+ years working on the railway suggests otherwise. End of the day, its got damn all to do with you WHY someone might want or need to go straight into the toilet - the fact is they have every right to use it until proven otherwise by someone qualified to make that decision. Being convicted by a kangaroo court of snotty nosed and incontinent train spotters is not such a thing. And people wonder why railway enthusiasts are so disliked/despised by railway professionals??!!
One of the funniest things I have read on here for ages - somebody who obviously despises passengers and posts angry rants on forums describing themselves as a professional.

The comparison of a single customer experience or the experience of three people cannot be extrapolated out to all the reasons which people do a thing.

No but my real-world experience is good enough to shape my future expenditure (as in, I wouldn't use BA again in the example I quoted).

And that is why the marketeers stress the importance of keeping punters happy.

A study by TARP Research as far back as 1999 uncovered the fact that for every 26 unhappy customers, only 1 will bother to make a formal complaint. The rest will either stay where they are disappointed or will silently take their business elsewhere. According to another research by 1st Financial Training services, 96% of unhappy customers don’t complain, 91% of those will simply leave and never come back.

A far more dangerous scenario is, however, when unhappy customers start spreading negative word-of-mouth instead of complaining directly to a company. White House Office of Consumer Affairs found that a dissatisfied customer will tell between 9-15 people about their experience. Around 13% tell more than 20 people, which leads to damage of reputation, loss of potential customers and revenue.

Given that Twitter etc are far more prevalent today than in 1999, I suspect those numbers need revising massively upwards.

In short, if you mug off a punter these days then the world and his wife will know about it *very* quickly.

Esker-pades

Established Member
No but my real-world experience is good enough to shape my future expenditure (as in, I wouldn't use BA again in the example I quoted).

And that is why the marketeers stress the importance of keeping punters happy.

A study by TARP Research as far back as 1999 uncovered the fact that for every 26 unhappy customers, only 1 will bother to make a formal complaint. The rest will either stay where they are disappointed or will silently take their business elsewhere. According to another research by 1st Financial Training services, 96% of unhappy customers don’t complain, 91% of those will simply leave and never come back.

A far more dangerous scenario is, however, when unhappy customers start spreading negative word-of-mouth instead of complaining directly to a company. White House Office of Consumer Affairs found that a dissatisfied customer will tell between 9-15 people about their experience. Around 13% tell more than 20 people, which leads to damage of reputation, loss of potential customers and revenue.

Given that Twitter etc are far more prevalent today than in 1999, I suspect those numbers need revising massively upwards.

In short, if you mug off a punter these days then the world and his wife will know about it *very* quickly.

This thread and my original comments were in reguard to reasons why two people go into a toilet together not market research or customer service.

This thread and my original comments were in reguard to reasons why two people go into a toilet together not market research or customer service.

Oh, if you're sticking to specifics then I'm on your side; two people in a 6 x 4 room = fare evasion everytime. Everytime.

johnnychips

Established Member
I’ve never seen this happen apart from adults and young kids. Is it a particular problem on the OP’s line? Or am I just very unobservant?

alxndr

Established Member
If the perps are under thirty then you can bet your mortgage on the fact that they're upto no good.

Can under 30s not have medical issues too? I spent a couple of weeks with a catheter (one of the reasons previously mentioned as to why someone might want help) at 22 and will need to do so at least once more before I'm 30. I did managed to use a train toilet with it in situ unaided but it was a bit of a juggling act so wouldn't blame anyone for wanting assistance.

I will admit the odds are against everyone being in similar positions but it's not outside the realm of possibly.

sheff1

Established Member
If the perps are under thirty then you can bet your mortgage on the fact that they're upto no good.

What odds are you offering ?

Often see pairs of young women go into the disabled toilet on the local trains. Obviously I do not know exactly what they are doing, but expect it is whatever they do when they go to the toilets in pairs in pubs or restaurants. In the latter cases it is clearly nothing at all to do with "fare evasion", but obviously you think they are guilty of a crime - which one, specifically ?

Ibex

On the subject of people having help from their travelling partner to use the facilities, it's worth remembering the new ScotRail class 385's have a 'helper button' on the inside which allows the user to open the door half way to let someone into help them so at least one TOC recognises that some people will need help.

I do feel the OP's pain however, I had a relatively poor experience on a GWR service last month where I needed to use the single loo on a class 150 which had been occupied since I boarded at Dawlish. When we arrived into Paignton I was still waiting to use it and not one, but FIVE people emerged from it and pushed past me to get off. I then went in to use it, once I'd done whoever it was locking the unit up (station station or train crew I don't know) then told me I was delaying them locking it up as I got out! You can't win.

Royston Vasey

Established Member

Ah, you really have travelled on BA

mde

So two adults (who are obviously a couple) go into a train toilet together with totally innocent intentions?
What about a person with a disability who requires assistance from someone else? This scenario is specifically catered for in the Class 385s whereby a button is provided in the UAT which will allow for the door to be opened half way to let a second person in/out.

IMG_0582.jpeg
(image shows controls for "Helper's Button" along with instructions)

It doesn't sound very common, but, it is a 'valid use'. :)

Last edited:

satisnek

I'm sure that there are some people who genuinely need to use a train toilet for a considerable length of time but here in Scrote Central they're very much the exception rather than the rule.

Give them ten minutes or so, then rap on the door using your house key (it sounds more 'official') and ask, "Are you going to be in there much longer?" Chances are they'll open the door and shoot off like a scalded cat.

(I don't have a weak bladder myself, but sometimes have a tendency to stress it with ale consumption...)

FOCTOC

One of the funniest things I have read on here for ages - somebody who obviously despises passengers and posts angry rants on forums describing themselves as a professional.
Not at all, but I despise "passengers" such as pompous judgemental ones such as have been posting on here. How do you think I know about Lucozade bottles? Been there, done that- its practical if you are desperate which a driver frequently is on freight.

Theres also been comments about IBS, people with other health problems and not forgetting such unfortunate situations such as Autism - theres 100 good, valid reasons why an adult may have to spend inordinate ammounts of time in the toilet, alone or otherwise. It may be they've just gone into the toilet to knock a crafty one out - thats not illegal and its certainly NONE of your business. The solution dear boy, is if its that vital to you and really spoiling your quality of life - just make sure you get in there first. Come to think of it, perhaps I DO despise passengers, well certain types anyway.

theironroad

Established Member
DIsclaimier: I'm not saying I'm going to do this.

What if I were to get hold of the square key used to unlock the toilet doors from the outside (or, I make a key).

Then, after knocking on the door without response, I open the toilet door myself.

This is after being beyond reasonable doubt that the person(s) would be locked in there for the reasons I think (no ticket).

Yes, I am "not allowed" to do that, but neither are they allowed to do what they're doing either.

I must repeat that in that hypothetical scenario, I would have to feel sure they were totally in the wrong. I wouldn't be taking those actions where there was a reasonable possibility they were innocent.

I think you'll find that being in possession of keys to access/interfere with railway equipment will be an offence and possibly lead yourself to liable to prosecution via BTP.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think you'll find that being in possession of keys to access/interfere with railway equipment will be an offence and possibly lead yourself to liable to prosecution via BTP.

My house key opens carriage key locks as long as they don't have the central pin, though I've only ever used it for windows on sweltering DOO Class 166s (on 158s I ask the guard). I doubt being in possession of that is an offence. Though using it for that purpose probably is.

Stigy

Established Member
Sorry - but my 30+ years working on the railway suggests otherwise. End of the day, its got damn all to do with you WHY someone might want or need to go straight into the toilet - the fact is they have every right to use it until proven otherwise by someone qualified to make that decision. Being convicted by a kangaroo court of snotty nosed and incontinent train spotters is not such a thing. And people wonder why railway enthusiasts are so disliked/despised by railway professionals??!!
My 12-years on the railway in an enforcement type role suggests the poster you quoted has a valid point. One can usually tell quite quickly why somebody has dived straight in the tioilet, and the scrawny scroat with trousers that don’t fit and the obligatory JD Sport bag, entering the toilet either alone or with his ‘better half’ of similar taste in dress, are usually just bunking their fare.

I’d give them a while, maybe waiting until they come out just before their stop before challenging them. If they don’t come out I’ll bang on the door and if there’s no response I’ll unlock it myself or ask the Guard to do so if it’s one of those tricky universal toilet doors. I had one young chap not lock the door (because it looks more genuine and if it doesn’t show as locked, staff might simply pass it by), and when I tried to open it he jammed the handle with his foot. Because that would obviously make me think there was nobody in there. In the end I just let him stay there until he wanted to come out. I was being paid after all.

robbeech

Established Member
I think you'll find that it is USING aforementioned key to access / interfere with railway equipment is the offence rather than possessing it.

Belperpete

Established Member
Give them ten minutes or so, then rap on the door using your house key (it sounds more 'official') and ask, "Are you going to be in there much longer?" Chances are they'll open the door and shoot off like a scalded cat.
And if they don't reply, ask "Are you alright? Do you need me to get help?" And if they still don't reply, you are fully justified in getting assistance, even on a DOO train.

Status
Not open for further replies.