• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

People Mis-Naming Railway Station/Companies - Habit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dorsetdesiro

Given that the website is southernrailway.com it's not exactly surprising.

Same as Northern's website, however I've heard Northern more often referred as "Northern Rail".

SWR also misnamed as South West Railways or South Western Trains, especially in the early days of franchise, including the media. Not sure if this is any better now, though I have heard the occasional South West Trains or SWT from others a bit like referring to Snickers as Marathon!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ted172

Even though Worcestershire Parkway hasn't been open for very long, I keep hearing it referred to as Worcester Parkway or Worcester Park.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I've heard "Mozzley Hill" by one or two outsiders which grates somewhat.

As for Liverpool South Parkway, I interpreted it to mean the word 'Parkway' should be the primarily stressed word rather than 'South'.
I've heard the "zz" of Mossley Hill from Scousers more than outsiders... to be honest I always just thought it was a characteristic of the accent rather than a right/wrong thing.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Worse still is that nobody seems able to pronounce Molesey properly. They either call it Moseley or Molesley, despite the fact that there are plenty of "seys" and "seas". Maybe that's one of the (maybe lesser) reasons why the station there is called "Hampton Court", which is in fact on the opposite side of the Thames. I've just remembered that the station there is actually built over the River Mole (or should that be River Mose?) so I'm now off to the "Stations Built Over Rivers" thread to see if it's been mentioned there.

I've been told that I call it 'Molesley', and I live but a couple of miles from the place.

The recorded announcements on South-West trains and stations pronounce Stoneleigh with the emphasis on the latter syllable, but I've never heard anyone else pronounce the name that way, the stress is always on the first syllable.

bramling

Veteran Member
Nobody

Worse still is that nobody seems able to pronounce Molesey properly. They either call it Moseley or Molesley, despite the fact that there are plenty of "seys" and "seas". Maybe that's one of the (maybe lesser) reasons why the station there is called "Hampton Court", which is in fact on the opposite side of the Thames. I've just remembered that the station there is actually built over the River Mole (or should that be River Mose?) so I'm now off to the "Stations Built Over Rivers" thread to see if it's been mentioned there,

Arlesey is the same, although this is probably unintentional by non-locals (or in some cases locals who have no connection other than proximity - Arlesey’s one of those places to which you don’t go unless you have a specific reason!).

The correct version is Arl-sy.

However there’s plenty of alternatives floating around such as
Arlsly
Are-all-sy
Are-all-sly
Arse-ly
Arse-all-y

As I say, none of this is old habits dying hard though - it’s nearly all unintentional.

prod_pep

Established Member
I grew up in the Mossley Hill area, and it was (and still is as far as I'm aware) locally pronounced as spelt, with no 'Z' sound.

Alex27

Even though Worcestershire Parkway hasn't been open for very long, I keep hearing it referred to as Worcester Parkway or Worcester Park.

I think some of it probably comes from laziness as well, as Worcestershire parkway is quite a mouthful. Just a theory anyway

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
At Carlisle station Scotrail used to be announced as “Scotrail Railways” and this caused a lot of folk in my area (Dumfries area) to follow suit.

johnnychips

Established Member
I think some of it probably comes from laziness as well, as Worcestershire parkway is quite a mouthful. Just a theory anyway
Which is why it’s easier to say ‘Worcester Sauce’ than ‘Worcestershire Sauce’ as demonstrated on the excellent TV programme ‘Diners, Drive-ins and Dives’.

London Trains

Worcester Parkway would have been a better and much shorter name for the station. However, anyone who calls it Worcester Park should be redirected to South West London :lol:

johntea

Established Member
Full credit to the guards that have to announce ’next stop Mytholmroyd’ day in day out!

Also ‘New Pudsey’ always entertains me, it’s not quite so ‘new’ any more and is quite a trek to what you would consider the centre of Pudsey!

Bedpan

Established Member
So somebody at Pershore wanting to travel 5 minutes down the line might get a bit of a shock if they tried to buy a single to Worcester Park and were asked to pay £47.80!

CBlue

Poplar on the DLR getting referred to as "Popular"

You also hear quite a few people refer to the Great Northern services as "Thameslink" -although to be fair a lot of Thameslink branded stock got used before the St Pancras services started.

Taunton

Established Member
British Rail remains a useful name for the national network, no other all-embracing name for this has come along. Notably the old BR double-arrow logo was officially retained for various purposes.

I wonder what the record is for systems rebranding themselves since franchising began. Whatever the East Anglia system is called this week must be a close contender. Areas are refranchised to a different operator, then subsequently the operator decides on a different marketing name for it, followed by a new livery which doesn't complete application before it gets refranchised and the whole hoopla starts again. It's quite unreasonable for rail geeks to expect the real world to keep up with all this.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
British Rail remains a useful name for the national network, no other all-embracing name for this has come along.

I agree. There isn't an official term to cover the national network, so the last one will have to do. I still call it British Railways, but then, being an historian, I do have an excuse to live in the past.

Parallel

Established Member
I agree. There isn't an official term to cover the national network, so the last one will have to do. I still call it British Railways, but then, being an historian, I do have an excuse to live in the past.

Isn't it referred to as 'National Rail'?

The London Underground certainly announce 'Change here for National Rail services'

dorsetdesiro

You also hear quite a few people refer to the Great Northern services as "Thameslink" -although to be fair a lot of Thameslink branded stock got used before the St Pancras services started.

Are some Great Northern KGX services still operated using "Thameslink" branded 700s if these are not 365s?

It seems some people can't help referring to something by its previous name than the current. The power of marketing or longevity of the brand is the key - Virgin Trains is a powerful brand more recognisable than Avanti West Coast also SWT ran for so long to be remembered more than SWR.

AWC has rather large shoes to fill as VT's replacement, it's quite clear that First Trenitalia chose a modern trendy name with Italian flair, for their West Coast franchise, trying to capture Virgin's cool appeal but obviously not as good. As at the time just before AWC first debuted, it was widely predicted that First Trenitalia was going to use LMS with the Avanti name reserved for the new HS2 trains because traditional names ending with Railway were being adopted by new TOCs.

LMS as a brand, in retro style like EMR or GWR, probably wouldn't have the same appeal as VT & AWC if the customer has modern tastes and is social media obsessed.

LNER, in a way, seems to work as a brand for me as it is a more modern style than retro which I think helped by the new Azumas also continuing the bold red scheme left by VTEC. If LNER started off on a different path like going with a very old fashioned looking brand and dark blue scheme then it may be harder for it to retain the strength of the Virgin brand it would be taking over from.

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
Which is why it’s easier to say ‘Worcester Sauce’ than ‘Worcestershire Sauce’ as demonstrated on the excellent TV programme ‘Diners, Drive-ins and Dives’.

Though Guy Whatsisname on that programme is, of course, American: they usually get in a terrible tizz over names in / from England, with "cester" in them..

norbitonflyer

Established Member
My late mother always referred to Waterloo East as Waterloo Junction, which I believe it once was. But she was from Bristol and didn't go to London until she started nursing in 1940.

It lost the "Junction" in 1935, although the "East" suffix was not officially added until 1977.

My grandmother always called it Waterloo Junction. She used it a lot - especially during WW2 when she was travelling between Devon, where her children were staying with her sister for the duration, and her home in SE London, as my grandfather had stayed behind working at the Royal Arsenal in Woolwich.

A regular train traveller into her mid-eighties, she always referred to "Third Class" although that had been renamed as Second Class when she was "only" sixty.

Revilo

When Worle station was built on the outskirts of Weston-super-Mare, they opened a business park next door called "Worle Parkway". Its amazing how many people call the station Worle Parkway even though it has only ever been Worle
Even the new official double arrow sign at the entrance referred to ‘Worle Parkway’ until they recently covered up the ‘Parkway’.

The next station down the line (Weston Milton) is sometimes still referred to as Milton Halt

fchd

It's not just railway things that still get referred to by their old names; in football what is now the "National League" (i.e. the 5th tier of English Football) is still quite often termed the "Vauxhall Conference", despite Vauxhall's sponsorship ending way back in 1998, and it not being the Conference at all since 2015.

urbophile

Established Member
It's not just railway things that still get referred to by their old names; in football what is now the "National League" (i.e. the 5th tier of English Football) is still quite often termed the "Vauxhall Conference", despite Vauxhall's sponsorship ending way back in 1998, and it not being the Conference at all since 2015.
John Lewis in Liverpool is frequently referred to as George Henry Lee. The Queen Square bus station (near to Lime Street station) is often called the Gyratory despite not being one, and only having been so for a fairly brief period in the 1970s/80s.

lewisf

SWR also misnamed as South West Railways or South Western Trains, especially in the early days of franchise, including the media. Not sure if this is any better now, though I have heard the occasional South West Trains or SWT from others a bit like referring to Snickers as Marathon!

There's no such thing as bad publicity. Because of the strikes, most people now seem to be aware that our local trains are operated by South Western Railway/SWR.

xotGD

Established Member
'National League' sounds more like some sort of far-right organisation. I'll stick with 'Conference'.

'National League' sounds more like some sort of far-right organisation. I'll stick with 'Conference'.

not as bad (with hindsight) as when the Isthmian League was sponsored by a sportswear company in the 1990s:

The Icis League.

Apparently the winners got promoted into the IRA Premier Division (Provisionally).

Going back to the alternative names - I do refer to Sandwell & Dudley as Oldbury (because that’s where it is) - and Worcester Foregate Street is always called “Worcester Central” by a friend

Status
Not open for further replies.