• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

People Mis-Naming Railway Station/Companies - Habit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MK Tom

Established Member
It's just an impractically long name to expect folk to say/write/remember. The confusion with West Midlands Trains and West Midlands Railway doesn't help either.

dorsetdesiro

It was pointed out elsewhere on here that it was overheard LNER was referred as "liner"...

"emma" for EMR, Hah good one!

My criticism of SWR goes back to when the PA system was updated early last year. The departure board used to display "SWR service calling at" briefly pausing then scrolling.

Along withe new automated announcements, this changed to "South Western Railway service calling at" now contiuously scrolling because of lack of room on the display.

There was an odd moment when I waited on the platform I noticed the displays briefly changed back to "SWR service" then back to the full name again. I think some indecisive manager at SWR, was ordering whoever was managing the software to change the name.

Energy

Established Member
It's just an impractically long name to expect folk to say/write/remember. The confusion with West Midlands Trains and West Midlands Railway doesn't help either.
Yeah they should really omit the 'operated by west midlands trains' bit on the logo, it doesn't really matter what the legal name of the company running it is to the public and it just ads confusion.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It's not a railway thing but the branding of Luton Airport as 'LLA' really annoys me because people think that's the airport code instead of LTN. Bit like people calling Birmingham New Street 'BNS'.
Manchester has a similar confusion with station/airport codes: Manchester Airport Railway Station is MIA. MIA is however the official airport code for Miami. To further confuse things, Manchester Airport is MAN, which on the railway is Piccadilly!

I've seen news stories of people who flew back into Manchester to find that their luggage was en-route to Florida!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It was pointed out elsewhere on here that it was overheard LNER was referred as "liner"...

"emma" for EMR, Hah good one!

My criticism of SWR goes back to when the PA system was updated early last year. The departure board used to display "SWR service calling at" briefly pausing then scrolling.

I wonder if the Staines Massive call SWR "sewer"...? :s ;)

southern442

Established Member
I am just a geek, but I really hate it when Southern gets called 'Southern Rail' by comedians on panel shows who think they're funny.

PeterC

Established Member
I still hear people referencing GWR/Great Western Railway as FGW/First Great Western
My mother was referring to the Eastern National route 251 as City Motors a dozen years after they were taken over while I often used to hear people referring to the London Transport country buses (and occasionally Eastern National in London) as "Green Line". I am not at all surprised that the same confusion exists with the railways.

route101

Established Member
Was on TPE earlier this year ,often hear people saying 'Is this a scotrail ? from Glasgow

About four years ago the automated voice used by SN started referring to a place called 'Tull's Hill' (emphasis on first word) rather than 'Tulse Hill'. I've never heard this pronounciation anywhere else, the area more often being referred to as West Norwood (which has its own station already).

urbophile

Established Member
London King's Cross is correct. London's King's Cross with 's on the end of London isn't.
'London's King's Cross station' is perfectly OK in such a context as '...is uncannily empty these days.' Just as one might say 'London's tube network...' or 'Liverpool's docks' or whatever.

southern442

Established Member
About four years ago the automated voice used by SN started referring to a place called 'Tull's Hill' (emphasis on first word) rather than 'Tulse Hill'. I've never heard this pronounciation anywhere else, the area more often being referred to as West Norwood (which has its own station already).
I lived in south london for a while and most people seem to just slur it into one and say "tuls'ill"

JammyJames08

Higam for Higham. And Meo-fam for Meopham are just a couple i've heard. And also loffboro junction lol

xotGD

Established Member
If it gets a new station, we can add Seaton Delaval to the mispronunciation list.

It is Del-Avill

Not De'Laval

didcotdean

So do I say that as a Londoner. Just like 'Parliament' isn't pronounced 'parlyment'. The 'i' is pronounced if only subtly.
Pronouncing the l in Marylebone used to be considered generally as incorrect, with it supposed to sound something more like Marry-bun. ITMA in the 1940s had a character that always pronounced the l and he was sent up rotten by others. My uncle born in the area in the 1920s would always pull people up over it. However, things change and the pull of the spelling seems to have had a strong effect over recent years.

midland1

Back in the 1970s a man got on a bus I was one in Wigston near Leicester and asked for the LMS station ( in Leicester)

Calthrop

Established Member
Back in the 1970s a man got on a bus I was one in Wigston near Leicester and asked for the LMS station ( in Leicester)

Well, he was only a quarter-century or so out of date -- maybe he'd spent a long time off in some secluded location :smile: ... I like the story about the chap who was in Portland prison: he escaped, but was rumbled when he went to the relevant station on the "Isle", wishing to buy a ticket to London; he hadn't been aware that the branch line from Weymouth had lost its passenger service in 1952, several years previously.

dan4291

For years the national automated announcements used to say Heighington wrong. It should be pronounced High-ington rather that Hay-ington that it was announced for years! Another one is Marske, which should be pronounced Mask but isn't.

SoccerHQ

Once accidentally asked for a ticket to "Wigan Grand western":lol:

Slightly different but there's an announcer on XC who always pronounces Derby with emphasis on the E instead of the usual way it's said "Darby."

unlevel42

Once accidentally asked for a ticket to "Wigan Grand western":lol:

Slightly different but there's an announcer on XC who always pronounces Derby with emphasis on the E instead of the usual way it's said "Darby."
DErby and DErbyshire probably derive their name from the local river -Derwent- from the Welsh word Derw or Derwen all pronounced as in "Dan DARE"
DErby and DErbyshireare often heard here in South Yorkshire
DAWRby or DAWRbyshire- a child hood "in Wales"neighbour pronounced his home county which he had not set his foot in forty years.

The history, migration, geography and sheer variety within the county probably means everyone is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.