• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

People turning right claiming right of way

Status
Not open for further replies.

talltim

Established Member
Swindon's (and Hemel's) magic roundabouts aren't hard at all. It's not one big roundabout at all, just a series of mini-roundabouts

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanD

Established Member
In some areas they seem to be switching to s system where each traffic flow is given a green light in turn. This has always been the case on the central Milton Keynes grid system and to some extent in places where roundabouts have been replaced by lights - depending on the amount of traffic, eg the East and West flows may be given separate green lights but North and South are green at the same time as normal. This means that there are few of the conflicting movements Yorkie described.

Also, when I first saw the sign on approach to Swindon's Magic Roundabout I nearly had a heart attack but on arrival it was very simple to use. I use the Hemel one a lot more and it is amusing to go the wrong way round if travelling with someone who's not seen it before,

dzug2

I've had a few experiences of going straight on through a junction, and encountering someone from the opposite direction turning right who insisted it was their right of way.

Can anyone explain this?

Is this sort of thing common?

Am I right to expect right of way for going straight on through a junction?

Maybe they were ozzies? In certain (admittedly limited) circumstances it would be the rule there

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I used to be driven over the Magic roundabout in High Wycombe every day. It makes sense to me and never recall having any issues with it. On occasion though when the traffic was bad it was sometimes quicker to go the 'long' way around.

Established Member
Did you have in mind people turning right out of Melrosegate (with this view) failing to give way to oncoming trafffic going straight on into Melrosegate (with this view)?

If so, I wonder if the lines curving to the right are what's causing the confusion? (not that I am excusing it, but it could be a contributory factor)

Might be part of it, but I guess the road markings are like that due to the space constraints. Basically when the traffic on Hull Road has a red, the sequence then changes to allow traffic turning right from Melrosegate and Green Dykes Lane onto Hull Road priority (i.e. those in the filter lane). The green arrow comes on so traffic can only turn right, traffic going left onto Hull Road or straight across has to wait. When the normal green signal (i.e. full green disc, no arrow) lights up, the green arrow extinguishes and traffic going straight ahead now has priority and those turning right have to give way to oncoming traffic. However, some people don't realise this and this causes a lot of confusion.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
We've got some junctions in Cornwall where I have wondered what the planners were smoking. We have two junctions where you have to be in the right hand lane to turn left, straight ahead or right. can only use the left lane if your turning left with an immediate second left into a very quiet residential street. Why on earth a quiet residential street got a lane to themselves, yet the 3 main roads have to share the other lane I haven't a clue.

I'm sure I've read that there is at least one mad junction on the M8 in Scotland where the exit is off the outside ( overtaking ) lane?

Yew

Established Member
Ha ha. Spot on mate. Could never quite work out how speed cameras are a secret tax on the motorist when my dad hasn't had a ticket in 50 years of driving. I guess some people just have heavier shoes.

Its red light cameras which are worse, I can see how it would be very easy to make a wrong judgement call and get caught by them, especially on roads 60 roads..

jon0844

Veteran Member
Swindon's (and Hemel's) magic roundabouts aren't hard at all. It's not one big roundabout at all, just a series of mini-roundabouts

Indeed. They're nowhere near as daunting as the might seem, although arguably they're not so easy for a cyclist.

12CSVT

Established Member
Anyway, nothing comes close to being as confusing as the Magic Roundabout in Swindon
magic_roundabout.jpg

Had the road planners in Swindon been watching too much of this, I wonder ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eeb4N9V74ZI

marks87

Established Member
We've got some junctions in Cornwall where I have wondered what the planners were smoking.
There's a junction in Dundee where the A90 turns off towards Forfar, and meets the rest of the Kingsway (the former city bypass that, like most bypasses, has now been absorbed into the general road network).

It used to be a double roundabout, but when a new Morrisons was built, it was replaced with a veritable forest of traffic lights.

http://goo.gl/maps/kyfgx

Just take a wander round. Depending on where you're coming from and where you're going, it's possible to be stopped three times within 100 yards.

If you zoom out to satellite view, you'll see the original roundabout layout.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

Buttsy

Established Member
Does anyone else feel that it's odd that driving is the only test you pass and never have to be re-tested or have updated throughout the rest of one's life?

Would these incidents be avoided if people were re-tested every ten years?

Trog

Established Member

I have driven round the Hemel Hempstead magic roundabout a good few times. If I had to advise someone how to approach it I would suggest they treated it as very small ring road.

IanD

Established Member
I have driven round the Hemel Hempstead magic roundabout a good few times. If I had to advise someone how to approach it I would suggest they treated it as very small ring road.

I find the "big" inner ring road of Coventry much more difficult to navigate and much more hair raising.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Of course, being the passenger, I regard a trip around the Ring Road as fun; despite the weaving issues, I am yet to see a crash on that road (A4053).

Roverman

I've had a few experiences of going straight on through a junction, and encountering someone from the opposite direction turning right who insisted it was their right of way.

A couple are particularly memorable and I can pinpoint the exact location. One of these was in Stoke-on-Trent (Hanley), the other York. In York, it was just an angry beep after letting me pass, while in Stoke it was a case of forcing me to do an emergency brake to avoid a collision.

• York example: going straight on from Low Poppleton Lane, to Beckfield Lane.

Can anyone explain this?

Is this sort of thing common?

Am I right to expect right of way for going straight on through a junction?

Welcome to Stoke! I have to put up with this kind of grief every single day. I am sure there are some decent drivers out there but they must avoid rush hour in Stoke. If its not people pulling out of junctions because they are 'more important' than you then its impatient so and sos who don't actually know how to use a roundabout. I do not know how I've managed to avoid colliding but I've been lucky so far. Using the horn (as per the Highway Code) just seems to get me some free verbal!

Trainfan344

Established Member
I've walked past that junction in Hanley twice today, it does seem a bit of a nightmare.

fowler9

Established Member
Does anyone else feel that it's odd that driving is the only test you pass and never have to be re-tested or have updated throughout the rest of one's life?

I find it odd that some people passed the first time but yes I do agree.

Roverman

Here is a question for you all. I passed my test in 2002, my father passed his in the mid 1970s. Who is the better driver? We both have points so that can't be used as a guide. He has 20 odd years driving experience on me but I passed a theory and a much harder practical test and do 15k miles a year on mixed roads compared to his 5k pootling around Birmingham.

richw

Veteran Member
Roverman, impossible to say. However when taught to drive you're taught to pass the test, rather than taught to drive everyday situations. Good driving comes with experience. Bad habits also come with experience so not really possible to compare.

BlythPower

Here is a question for you all. I passed my test in 2002, my father passed his in the mid 1970s. Who is the better driver? We both have points so that can't be used as a guide. He has 20 odd years driving experience on me but I passed a theory and a much harder practical test and do 15k miles a year on mixed roads compared to his 5k pootling around Birmingham.

That 5k in Birmingham is worth 20k elsewhere. There's a famous saying:
In Rome, do as Rome does.
In Birmingham, drive like a t**t.

Bevan Price

Established Member

No.
I think the people who need to be tested are those who devise some of the crazy road layouts & systems.

For example - in one part of St. Helens Bus Station, there are signs telling pedestrians not to walk in the bus lanes - and a pedestrian barrier which more or less forces you to walk in one of the bus lanes (or take the more dangerous option of crossing 3 roads, only one of which has lights)

fowler9

Established Member

I'd suggest you both do an advanced driving course and ask whoever does the course tells you who is the best, lots of people have passed the much harder test etc and drive many miles and are absolute idiots on the road (I don't mean you by the way).

As a slight aside, on the way home from work today I say quite a nasty crash at a small roundabout not far from Liverpool city centre with one car on its roof and the emergency services cutting someone out of the other car with a stretcher ready. Whoever ever caused that crash at that junction should be banned for life, along with the fella in the paper the other day who killed someone and got a 2 year ban (I admit I can't remember the full details but he was found to be guilty of dangerous driving, 2 year ban doesn't really seem to fit).

Status
Not open for further replies.