• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

People who have been to Stranraer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gathursty

Established Member
How did you spend your time between trains?
How long is the walk into the town centre?
What's the journey like (scenery-wise)?

Bonus question: I can take either the WCML or go via the GSW Dumfries line to access the Stranraer line. Which would you recommend?

I just need someone to sell it to me as it's a bit of a journey haha.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

causton

Established Member
I took the same train in and out, so don't know how far the town centre is, the station looked pretty much in the middle of nowhere for anything useful. I would personally go via the GSW!

Veteran Member
How did you spend your time between trains?
How long is the walk into the town centre?
What's the journey like (scenery-wise)?

Bonus question: I can take either the WCML or go via the GSW Dumfries line to access the Stranraer line. Which would you recommend?

I just need someone to sell it to me as it's a bit of a journey haha.

About 10 mins walk IIRC, through derelict port land, occasional buses. The town is pretty quiet.

South of Girvan especially the scenery is great, a much underrated line IMO.

Go one way, back the other if you can. Otherwise the GSW route has slightly more traditional railway but less dramatic scenery.

Midlandman

Just had time to walk into town and grab a bite to eat, since if I'd missed the train at about 1400, I'd have been stuck in Scotland for the night. The service is challengingly sparse. Oh and as we passed the signal box at Glenwhilly, the late turn signaller was just reporting for duty. I calculated that he'd have two trains to deal with.during his who;e shift.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Guessing he's a bit busier since they upped the service to once every two hours!

Rick1984

I'm not sure what I'd recommend doing but there's worse town centres than Stranraer.
If you like colourful bars then hunt out chasers.

The line from Girvan to Stranraer is pretty spectacular, climbing up and over moors.
Personally I think the Dumfries to around Sanquhar section of the GSW is very scenic. Look out for Drumlanrig Castle. I think this is the reason line goes in a tunnel

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I have family who live in Stranraer. The station is located on an walkway where the old stena line ferry terminal was. I live on the Glasgow South Western line! I personally would go via the WCML as the ride would be more pleasant on a pendolino and trains can get quite busy here! The station itself is just a single platform with a small shelter, not very interesting! As you leave the station, you would need to take a walk up a long road until you meet the main road at the beach. You would out near Agnew park, which is just a large children's playback with a pond and island. It does have a small railway at it, but it's only for the kids :P

From there you would need to walk up one of the many connector streets between the seafront and the main street. The high street has just the usual shops, with a mini Tesco. Locals usually use the Morrison's located on London road a little further up. The main street features a castle ruins, which I believe you can go into during summer months. From there it's really just shops, and restaurants. For a nice meal, I highly recommend the 'Custom House' located on the seafront, delicious food!

If you feel like a walk, you could always go up to stair park, just go up to London road and stay on it, heading east. There is the football stadium, a band stand, a playback and a moderately sized walking area, but personally I would walk either across the shorefront or around the island on Agnew park.

To be completely honest, there isn't that much in Stranraer, there is a decently sized swimming pool and sauna at the 'Ryan Centre', it's not too far from the main street, and it is mostly signposted! I hope you enjoy Stranraer, you may unknowingly see me there!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'm not sure what I'd recommend doing but there's worse town centres than Stranraer.
If you like colourful bars then hunt out chasers.

The line from Girvan to Stranraer is pretty spectacular, climbing up and over moors.
Personally I think the Dumfries to around Sanquhar section of the GSW is very scenic. Look out for Drumlanrig Castle. I think this is the reason line goes in a tunnel

I am very local to this area, and sadly they built the railway purposely so it cannot be seen from the castle estate! The run from Dumfries to Sanquhar is nice! Departing Dumfries you can see a signal box, before turning right and accelerating up to full line speed. The next POI is a small bridge with a girder you pass just south of Holywood. You then pass Holywood gardens, a very beautiful scenic tourist attraction! Following that you pass through the village of Auldgirth, and then you run almost parallel to the A76 past Kirkpatrick and Closeburn before diverging to the right and passing over cample viaduct, after this the line turns left and passes where I live, Thornhill! From the line you can see the local school, church, golf course, and you pass through the old stations platforms. The reason they built the station way out of the village is so that the line could not be seen from the castle estate. Following this you would pass under Drumcork bridge, near Drumcork farm, and then you would turn left, following the road to Morton Castle. You are then whisked over the Dalveen pass, a road that links the A76 to the M74 motorway. You then pass under Drumshinnoch bridge, just seconds before hitting the south end of Drumlanrig Tunnel. This tunnel always feels very long when I pass through it! The train then runs next to the A76 for a while before heading into Mennock, before it diverges to the right slightly. The railway line then simply takes a long right hand curve just before arriving at Sanquhar Station!

I hope you enjoyed my route summary!

Last edited:

Rick1984

It's been a while since I've travelled that line, so I may be a bit rusty and confusing with road journey. Been up and down it many a time, originally living in Kilmarnock.
I agree custom house probably best option for food.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I spent a couple of hours in Stranrear on a Sunday afternoon in June 2015.

The walk only takes a few minutes although the town itself had the feel of being a little run down.

Bishopstone

Established Member
It was a few years ago, but I spent some time between trains in the local museum, which is centrally located. Entry was either free or very cheap, with regional content I found interesting. Had no problem amusing myself for an hour there.

On another occasion I made a round trip (from Glasgow) by taking the Stagecoach bus from Stranraer to Dumfries, then the GSW. The scenery from the bus was pleasant if unspectacular, with a few diversions through small towns en route.

Crossover

Established Member
The one time I did it, there was around 45-60 mins layover before the train returned so it gave time for a wander. You do have to negotiate the roads round the old ferry port, but the town itself was OK. The bus that runs to the station is also electric :)

Status
Not open for further replies.