• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

People Who Take Ages At The Supermarket

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM9

Veteran Member
... Someone with a reasonable level of self-awareness would pick something off the shelf and then move away slightly whilst they scan the label, in order not to block access to that shelf for everyone else. ...
That's fine if there is enough space to safely pass somebody, especially if the shop is allowing the maximum number of customers into the store that the current rules permit. Not all supermarkets have aisles wide enough to drive a bus down. Our Waitrose certainly doesn't.
... In the same way that a self-aware person wouldn’t stop immediately upon stepping off an escalator, or stand right in the way of the entrance to a busy platform. ...
The escalator comparison is totally inappropriate. Causing an obstruction to people alighting from a moving conveyor belt is dangerous. Even stopping at the bottom or top of stairs to a platform is hazardous. If somebody's shop is slightly longer than they have allowed for it is not even on the same scale of inconvenience, let alone a hazard.
... In this situation I’d say the “me first” is the one blocking everyone else and displaying a lack of self-awareness, not the person who might need to get round the shop swiftly for whatever reason.
I would be careful of being critical of somebody taking care to get the correct item, (from what might be a limited choice of products), - as others have commented, those tutting away because they might want to go faster, don't know, (and maybe don't care) that the person with a 'lack of self awareness' by your standards might have significant reasons why they must be careful that anything they have doesn't impact of their health. That would of course inconvenience everybody, as the speedy healthy people might need the health service themselves as well.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bantamzen

Established Member
How difficult is it to have hand sanitisers at supermarket entrances and you can't go in unless you've used it?

Oh wait, that ship has sailed as there is none...

Then you're in a queue waiting for the checkout. People still shopping dodge in and out of the queues to get the things they need from the shelves. How is that keeping social distancing and reducing transmission?

As it happens my nearest Co-op has done exactly that, I have just been there.

Well, they could solve their problem by opening their mouth and saying "Excuse me, could you just let me past please"? I went to a smallish Co-op last week and people were doing exactly that - working around each other and being polite and accommodating, not being angry.

But at the moment a full-sized supermarket is not a suitable venue to "grab something to eat in your break", it will take probably two hours to queue and get in and around. NHS staff can sometimes but not always jump the queue. It is prudent for people not to rely on this possibility, and this is very much in line with the Government's recommendation to shop as rarely as possible rather than popping in every day for lunch.

If they have nothing and have to go there one lunchtime, a loaf of bread, a jar of jam and a pack of butter, say, would be a more sensible purchase than a packet sandwich. That's a week's worth in one go.

The 'NHS worker' could say 'I am an NHS worker and I am on a short break. Could you let me through please?' Just a thought.... :rolleyes:

People shouldn't have to announce that they are NHS staff (who by the way are far from the only people classed as key workers), just a simple "excuse me" will suffice for the vast majority of people as @Bletchleyite says.

When did common sense become so incredibly difficult in this country? The advice is simple, don't cough or sneeze without covering your mouth and nose with a tissue, wash your hands regularly, respect people's space, stop believing everything we read & see on the net (OK that last one is mine, but I feel is still very relevant). As worrying this pandemic is, we still have responsibility for our own welfare. Keep to the advice and there's a significantly reduced chance that you will come into contact with the virus.

bramling

Veteran Member
That's fine if there is enough space to safely pass somebody, especially if the shop is allowing the maximum number of customers into the store that the current rules permit. Not all supermarkets have aisles wide enough to drive a bus down. Our Waitrose certainly doesn't.

The escalator comparison is totally inappropriate. Causing an obstruction to people alighting from a moving conveyor belt is dangerous. Even stopping at the bottom or top of stairs to a platform is hazardous. If somebody's shop is slightly longer than they have allowed for it is not even on the same scale of inconvenience, let alone a hazard.

I would be careful of being critical of somebody taking care to get the correct item, (from what might be a limited choice of products), - as others have commented, those tutting away because they might want to go faster, don't know, (and maybe don't care) that the person with a 'lack of self awareness' by your standards might have significant reasons why they must be careful that anything they have doesn't impact of their health. That would of course inconvenience everybody, as the speedy healthy people might need the health service themselves as well.

A lot of over-analysis there IMO.

It really isn’t that difficult to step to one side and allow someone else to access a shelf, even in somewhere with limited space the clue is that someone else is standing nearby looking at the place one is standing. It’s quite possible to read a label *and* pay attention to others.

I don’t see the issue with the escalator comparison - you’re quite right the escalator situation is dangerous, however the supermarket situation is inconsiderate. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect people to try and avoid both negative behaviours if possible.

And surely if someone is sensitive to certain potential ingredients they would be checking the label immediately before they consume the product, once they’ve arrived home or wherever, so avoiding the risk of becoming ill and requiring to use the health service?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
...When did common sense become so incredibly difficult in this country? ...
The vast majority are displaying common sense based on what I've seen and pretty much everyone I've spoken to about recent events. But yes I agree with the message you are saying in this post.
A lot of over-analysis there IMO. ...
Not really; it is an invalid comparison.

matt_world2004

Established Member

and

Sorted.
They don't work in a hot bus , I have tried them.

Domh245

Established Member
And surely if someone is sensitive to certain potential ingredients they would be checking the label immediately before they consume the product, once they’ve arrived home or wherever, so avoiding the risk of becoming ill and requiring to use the health service?

What? Do you really think they'll buy something effectively on a whim and then only check if it'll potentially kill them moments before they use it? It's clear you have a pretty poor view of other people's organisational abilities but that takes the biscuit

bramling

Veteran Member
What? Do you really think they'll buy something effectively on a whim and then only check if it'll potentially kill them moments before they use it? It's clear you have a pretty poor view of other people's organisational abilities but that takes the biscuit

No. What I was saying is that it’s a completely ridiculous idea to say that having the courtesy to step aside from a supermarket shelf whilst taking a few moments to check a label is going to lead not just to an increase in demand for NHS care, but such a massive increase in demand that other lives could be put at risk.

If such checks are such a matter of life-and-death as to be a safety-critical activity then clearly they shouldn’t be happening in an environment like a supermarket aisle anyway. Relying on that would simply be foolish.

I really don’t see why this needs to be such an issue. Unless people have suddenly developed allergies overnight, most people should already have a pretty good idea what they normally buy. My experience in various supermarkets has been that most things I normally buy are still available (especially recently, now the initial panic buying has died away). I simply don’t believe that there’s suddenly become a massive need for copious label checking to have become necessary.

And, yes, with social distancing looking likely to be necessary for some time to come, we will *all* have to become more organised and disciplined in order to keep queues bearable.

Peter Sarf

Established Member

For example. When I used to Shop for my mother I had to look out for sugar level (diabetic) and also if the food had any dairy in it AT ALL. It really did soak up a lot of time and concentration in the shop as the label has to be read carefully. If the supermarket is anything like the ones I frequent recently there is a poor choice of what is left on the shelves. For myself I have adapted my shopping to grab anything that has a long shelf life or is freezable and that is reasonably nutritious.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
No. What I was saying is that it’s a completely ridiculous idea to say that having the courtesy to step aside from a supermarket shelf whilst taking a few moments to check a label is going to lead not just to an increase in demand for NHS care, but such a massive increase in demand that other lives could be put at risk.

If such checks are such a matter of life-and-death as to be a safety-critical activity then clearly they shouldn’t be happening in an environment like a supermarket aisle anyway. Relying on that would simply be foolish.

I really don’t see why this needs to be such an issue. Unless people have suddenly developed allergies overnight, most people should already have a pretty good idea what they normally buy. My experience in various supermarkets has been that most things I normally buy are still available (especially recently, now the initial panic buying has died away). I simply don’t believe that there’s suddenly become a massive need for copious label checking to have become necessary.

And, yes, with social distancing looking likely to be necessary for some time to come, we will *all* have to become more organised and disciplined in order to keep queues bearable.

The bit in bold is impossible where else should one do it.

Over the years I have had to negotiate isles blocked by a trolley while the customer wanders off to look at something. People congregating on corners or other narrow bits. All challenges I have faced occasionally over the years. But I either move the trolley or say excuse me. Most people are apologetic - some are just ignorant. But I don't spare it a thought it after the event. Life is too short !.

bramling

Veteran Member
For example. When I used to Shop for my mother I had to look out for sugar level (diabetic) and also if the food had any dairy in it AT ALL. It really did soak up a lot of time and concentration in the shop as the label has to be read carefully. If the supermarket is anything like the ones I frequent recently there is a poor choice of what is left on the shelves. For myself I have adapted my shopping to grab anything that has a long shelf life or is freezable and that is reasonably nutritious.

On the other hand over the years I have had to negotiate isles blocked by a trolley while the customer wanders off to look at something. People congregating on corners or other narrow bits. All challenges I have faced occasionally over the years. But I either move the trolley or say excuse me. Most people are apologetic - some are just ignorant. But I don't spare it a thought for it after the event. Life is too short !.

I don’t think anyone has a problem with people needing to read a label, the issue is people who just park themselves in front of the relevant shelf and stay there for ages whilst others clearly wish to reach the same shelf.

There’s plenty of ways round it without the health service experiencing a sudden surge in allergy-related admissions. Like you say, it doesn’t *need* to be a major issue.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
I don’t think anyone has a problem with people needing to read a label, the issue is people who just park themselves in front of the relevant shelf and stay there for ages whilst others clearly wish to reach the same shelf.

There’s plenty of ways round it without the health service experiencing a sudden surge in allergy-related admissions. Like you say, it doesn’t *need* to be a major issue.

Its a difficult call. Some people are slower at digesting the information than others. I must admit I found it painfully slow checking for my mother at first but you get the hang of it after a while. But, of course, now its a bit more challenging with stock shortages and visiting unfamiliar stores. It will be a challenge for someone who is shopping for someone vulnerable for the first few times. Someone who is a bit slow at reading/understanding the label is quite likely to become unaware of their surroundings. Its why we are not allowed to use a mobile while driving.

Also a few weeks ago I saw someone getting abused for being a bit awkward. To me it was slightly obvious that the recipient of the abuse had learning difficulties or something. We all have to bear in mind that not everyone is as physically or mentally agile as we like to think we are !.

111-111-1

Then don't buy a single pepper or onion. They last long enough to use a pack of 3 before they go off even if you're on your own if you plan your meals properly.

These are unusual times and require unusual measures.

I wish I lived in your perfect world and had time to do all this cooking and freezing. BTW the freezer is full of frozen food some of which I have cooked double and frozen or meat where all that was available was far too big packs for me.

Onions do keep but softer veg does not. I had to buy 3 peppers as there were none in a suitable condition singlely. I cannot use all 3 before they go off simples. If I had bought a single one I could wash it more than normal using a bit of detergent and not waste food.

111-111-1

Its a difficult call. Some people are slower at digesting the information than others. I must admit I found it painfully slow checking for my mother at first but you get the hang of it after a while. But, of course, now its a bit more challenging with stock shortages and visiting unfamiliar stores. It will be a challenge for someone who is shopping for someone vulnerable for the first few times.

Also a few weeks ago I saw someone getting abused for being a bit awkward. To me it was slightly obvious that the recipient of the abuse had learning difficulties or something. We all have to bear in mind that not everyone is as physically or mentally agile as we like to think we are !.

In normal times the majority of people know the brands that are suitable for them and they like. At the present getting your normal brand is at times harder, especially when trying to obey the "as infrequently as possible", so people with food intolerences will at times need to spend far more time than normal checking.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I think there would be a lot more calm if customers left nagging and tutting at other people to the actual staff of the store! It is not the place of the customer to do anything other than mind their own business and quickly buy their essentials.

bramling

Veteran Member
I think there would be a lot more calm if customers left nagging and tutting at other people to the actual staff of the store! It is not the place of the customer to do anything other than mind their own business and quickly buy their essentials.

The traditional British dirty look is preferable, giving people the opportunity to reflect upon their actions themselves. Unfortunately this requires people to *think*, which for some people is clearly a problem.

AM9

Veteran Member

You are right there, some people need to be a bit less impatient. Just because they are currently working, that status just means that they can go to work and get their normal salary rather than a maximum of £30K gross if they are lucky enough to be furloughed or maybe just the minimum wage to live on. Most shops have given those in the real key jobs special access, in our Waitrose, they can go to the front of the queue, present their work ID - thereby avoiding the wait that is sometimes more than an hour, and get on with their shop. One would think that such a timesaving would be enough, but no, there are those who act as if everybody should stand aside and acknowledge their status. There are plenty who wish that they could do the same, but can't.
However special those still in work may consider themselves, it doesn't mean that everybody else must stand aside or be abused just because they want to ensure that they don't buy the wrong items. Fortunately, most shoppers are reasonably tolerant of others during these difficult times. That is apart from a few who still seem to act as if the government experts' advice about maintaining a safe distance wherever possible, think that it doesn't apply to them.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yes because buying every single sandwich cooler on the market is practical .

You can do your research, though, and look for one with more insulation, or a thicker ice block, or whatever. I'm very experienced with camp catering through Scouting, and keeping the food cool and safe without electricity isn't that hard.

It'd be worth spending the time doing that research, making sandwiches rather than buying them will save you a, er, packet.

Of course, it's perfectly valid for you to choose not to do that, but then you can't really claim that you should have some sort of priority at a supermarket if you do make that choice. Plenty of bus drivers, depending on their route, don't get their break anywhere near somewhere to buy a manky 2 day old packet sandwich anyway! :)

matt_world2004

Established Member
You can do your research, though, and look for one with more insulation, or a thicker ice block, or whatever. I'm very experienced with camp catering through Scouting, and keeping the food cool and safe without electricity isn't that hard.

It'd be worth spending the time doing that research, making sandwiches rather than buying them will save you a, er, packet.
They also need to be able to sustain having a considerable amount of stuff being chucked on them and be lightweight enough to carry in a kitbag/backpack

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
They also need to be able to sustain having a considerable amount of stuff being chucked on them and be lightweight enough to carry in a kitbag/backpack

I am confident you would find something suitable with some research. Keeping sandwiches safe to eat is not a massively difficult problem.

FWIW I purchased a load of freshly baked pies/pasties online last week, they were delivered in a simple polystyrene box with single-use ice "blocks" around them, and having been with the courier for about 18 hours they were still fridge-cool on arrival. And I bet the inside of the van was fairly warm in that weather.

Llanigraham

On Moderation

Have you ever shopped for anyone else?
At the present time there are many people doing exactly that because those people cannt go out. Those people could have numerous allergies, vary from the not so serious to the potentially lethal. Yes, they might have provided a list to the shopper but perhaps the named item isn't available but a potential substitute is, but needs to be checked.

Here's a suggestion for you; join your local group of volunteers, ask if you can do shopping for someone youdon't know and try doing it. Then you might learn just how damned difficult it is, especially in a supermarket you haven't used before.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
The traditional British dirty look is preferable, giving people the opportunity to reflect upon their actions themselves. Unfortunately this requires people to *think*, which for some people is clearly a problem.

And perhaps people need to learn to be more patient and understanding as well.

CM

I put my sandwiches in my locker at work when I get in at 7:15 am and by the time I go for my lunch break at 2 pm they are still edible. Sticking them in a small Tupperware box without keeping them cool isn't going to make them suddenly turn blue within a few hours.

bramling

Veteran Member
You are right there, some people need to be a bit less impatient. Just because they are currently working, that status just means that they can go to work and get their normal salary rather than a maximum of £30K gross if they are lucky enough to be furloughed or maybe just the minimum wage to live on. Most shops have given those in the real key jobs special access, in our Waitrose, they can go to the front of the queue, present their work ID - thereby avoiding the wait that is sometimes more than an hour, and get on with their shop. One would think that such a timesaving would be enough, but no, there are those who act as if everybody should stand aside and acknowledge their status. There are plenty who wish that they could do the same, but can't.
However special those still in work may consider themselves, it doesn't mean that everybody else must stand aside or be abused just because they want to ensure that they don't buy the wrong items. Fortunately, most shoppers are reasonably tolerant of others during these difficult times. That is apart from a few who still seem to act as if the government experts' advice about maintaining a safe distance wherever possible, think that it doesn't apply to them.

As you say, much of the time it isn't a massive issue for key workers as they're - rightly - generally getting priority access, although it's worth noting that in some cases this is only at specific timings which may well not be suitable for someone working particular shifts.

However, surely it's in *everyone's* interest that we all try to keep queues as short as possible? Likewise stores are making announcements and having posters on display stating we shouldn't be touching stuff we don't intend to buy. Surely there's two good reasons to make every effort to spend as little time as possible scanning labels and only do it when vitally necessary, and when we do to have some consideration for others? I really don't see what's so unreasonable about any of this.

Out of interest, for those doing their shopping online, how do they manage with allergy issues?

Last edited:

matt_world2004

Established Member
I put my sandwiches in my locker at work when I get in at 7:15 am and by the time I go for my lunch break at 2 pm they are still edible. Sticking them in a small Tupperware box without keeping them cool isn't going to make them suddenly turn blue within a few hours.
I don't start at locations with a locker or have a break with one

GB

Established Member
Which stores are giving priority access to key workers? All I have seen advertised is for NHS staff (some also include emergency workers such as fire service) vulnerable people and OAPs.

CM

I don't start at locations with a locker or have a break with one

You've totally missed my point. You don't need a cool box/bag to keep sandwiches in for a single day. You could quite easily put them in a Tupperware box in your bag and eat them when hungry. They aren't going to go off within a single day.

Adsy125

Which stores are giving priority access to key workers? All I have seen advertised is for NHS staff (some also include emergency workers such as fire service) vulnerable people and OAPs.
Waitrose is anyone with a blue light card, and I suspect all supermarkets give priority access to their own staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.