• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

PEP replacement - Merseyrail/GN

Status
Not open for further replies.

asylumxl

Established Member
Possibly, but it was not explicitly required according to the spec:.

AFAIK, Thameslink trains no longer require them as the old single bore tunnel sections of the core are no longer in existence, and as such it will not be needed.

I don't know wether that will apply to the GN side when services begin running in to the core though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
IIRC the front doors [on 317/1s, 319s and 377s] were due to the single-bore Clerkenwell Tunnels from Farringdon to Barbican and/or Moorgate. Since Thameslink services can no longer use the "Widened Lines", this is no longer an issue.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
If nothing else, these relative travel times for Cl3xx units and loco hauled formations on the ECML shows just how much acceleration performance can be gained by conversion to multiple unit operation.

D365

Veteran Member
I can't wait to see this letter now!

Coming soon to a forum near you! I'll send it to Merseyrail, FCC 'Meet The Directors' (although it will probably not involve the current franchise) and any other relevant people, as soon as it is ready :D

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
When you're done, why not write to the NHS and advise them on building hospitals, or maybe write to the MoD and give them some tips on the next tanks, or submarines.

They'll probably welcome the outsider's view just as much as a TOC will, and file your letter in the round cabinet...

D365

Veteran Member
I know that they'd probably take more notice if I was banging on their windows, but you never know... It's just something to keep my brain occupied duing the holidays.

LE Greys

Established Member
I know that they'd probably take more notice if I was banging on their windows, but you never know... It's just something to keep my brain occupied duing the holidays.

Oddly, I used to do something similar and receive replies. One of the first was to Anglia around 2000, which was of course mostly dismissed. That didn't stop NXGE taking up most of my recommendations (trading in the 150s for 156s for instance). Obviously, railway companies can think for themselves, but . . . ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
AFAIK, Thameslink trains no longer require them as the old single bore tunnel sections of the core are no longer in existence, and as such it will not be needed.

I don't know wether that will apply to the GN side when services begin running in to the core though.

2018, as currently reported.

D365

Veteran Member
I don't think cab doors are required, the Canal Tunnels are very new (2005) and the Desiro City artist's impressions do not show any.

D365

Veteran Member
Sorry for double-posting and bumping this older topic, but I have completed a brief 'memorandum' which I am planning to send to Merseyrail, First Capital Connect (although it is more of an issue for the new "Greater Thameslink" franchisee) and DfT. Please let me know what you think; could you suggest any other organisations or people to send it to?

Dear Sir or Madam,

In response to the recent news of progress that Merseyrail have been making in regards to rolling stock procurement, I wish to make a brief suggestion in regards to making this process more efficient and effective.

I would like to suggest that the order for Merseyrail is combined with an order for new Great Northern Inner Suburban stock. These services are primarily operated by 44 units of Class 313 stock, which were built at a similar time to the Merseyrail Class 507/508 fleet, and as such are of nearly identical specification. By timing a potential GN batch to meet the schedule for upgrades on the East Coast Main Line, new stock would take advantage of improvements on the route.

A potential type of new stock would be the Bombardier Class 378. This class has been operating 'London Overground' services for a number of years, so a unit of this type could be loaned in order to assess the classes' suitability on the Merseryrail network. I have heard that a member of the LO fleet has been tested to Moorgate, but I have not found any evidence confirming this. A variant of this type with 2+2 seating would be suitable for both Merseyrail and GN Suburban, in my opinion.

In conclusion, I hope that this brief suggestion will help you in this exciting process. I believe that a combined order would be efficient and effective; improving service on both routes. I look forward to hearing about your thoughts on this, as well as about plans for the future.

ukrob

Established Member
I thought it was a joke that you would write a letter to be honest.

You can't just suggest stock for them, and they can't just order stock they want there is a process to follow.

I'm afraid the cruel reality is that the letter will be passed around for everyone to have a good laugh at. It will be binned and you will get a polite reply.

D365

Veteran Member
Those are suggestions, they don't have to [won't] take them seriously. The excercise is more to keep me occupied during my holidays; I'm also interested in how future procurements will work.

Last edited:

Chris125

Established Member
While i understand your enthusiasm, this kind of thing is what forums are for - professional railway staff do not need, or want, enthusiasts writing in and telling them how to do their job and doing so only damages how those in the industry see enthusiasts.

If you want to make a point about rolling stock procurement, and have anychance of someone half relevant actually read it, it would be far more effective to try and get something published in the letters page of the various rail magazines.

Chris

Established Member
Oddly, I used to do something similar and receive replies. One of the first was to Anglia around 2000, which was of course mostly dismissed. That didn't stop NXGE taking up most of my recommendations (trading in the 150s for 156s for instance). Obviously, railway companies can think for themselves, but . . . ;)

Oh so it was YOU who got rid of my beloved 150s! <( :lol:

LE Greys

Established Member
Oh so it was YOU who got rid of my beloved 150s! <( :lol:

Which goes to show that you can't please everybody. :|

Later on, I went into an extended correspondence with 'Chris Garnett'. I initially thought that it was just someone in his office, but when I ran into him one day (he was helping out with stewarding duties) he remembered my name and shook my hand. Either he's a very good actor, or he actually paid some attention to them.

Similar letters once got me invited to the DfT by a certain S.K. Baker to talk about what became IEP. I had a one-hour meeting with him, which was most curious. He seemed like a good bloke, whatever you might think of the train. Wish I'd known it was he who drew the Rail Atlas, I'd have brought a copy along to so he could sign it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.