• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Percy Main (DEPOT) & Gateshead Interchange

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

H

HR2

Something that has always puzzled me since I came to the North East is how to pronounce certain place names. For instance is it WRECK-enton or WREE-kenton and HEW-orth or HEE-worth?

I know Elswick is said Els-ick same as Chiswick is said Chis-ick and Fenwick is said Fenn-ick so can a native northe eastener put me right on pronuciation please?

eezypeazy

It's WRECK and HEW, as you surmised.....

If you've been up into Northumberland, you've probably been puzzled by

Cambois (Cammus)
Ulgham (Uffham)
Alnwick (Annick)
Cowpen (Coo-pen)
Howick (Hoe-wick, not How-wick)
Lowick (Now this one puzzles me - I've always said Low-wick, but I've heard some people say Louw-wick (the LOU as in 'loud')

Then there's food... my wife(who comes from Derbyshire) thinks I'm putting on airs and graces when I say "sconnes", when she says "scones"; and I think it's her who has the pretentions!

eezypeazy

eezypeazy

Oops, sorry - easily distracted. Yes, nice photos... have you ever been to the HCVS Tyne Tees Run, sponsored by the Go Ahead Group? Lots of old, and new, stuff there...

eezypeazy

H

HR2

My apologies Dan. Yes they are indeed nice pics. See if you can do a few of buses in Whitley bay and along the seafront near the big aquarium.

In this pic >> http://northeastbuspics.fotopic.net/p31470291.html There is a sign in the background like a Glasgow subway station. Unless it is a secret connection to that system, what is it?

eezypeazy

danannis said:
I haven't been to the Tyne Tees run yet I am hoping to go to the next one though, when is the next one?
Next year - first Sunday in June - it will be the 25th annual run.

eezypeazy

Thanks for all of the comments guys and thanks for the date of the next Tyne Tees Run eezypeezy, i shall make a note of that. Have you got msn, if so can i have ur addy please ta.

danannis

Status
Not open for further replies.