• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Permitted Routes - Coleshill Parkway - Richmond

Status
Not open for further replies.

muug1982

I'm getting a little confused by the fares check rule for this route. I'm going to the rugby on 17th March at Twickenham which is a 5pm ko. I'd like to travel from Coleshill Parkway (ease of access / free parking), but with the option of returning to Birmingham International (later connections / easier to get a cab.) I was expecting that a Birmingham International - Richmond ticket, wouldn't allow a route via Coleshill, but assumed that a Coleshill - Richmond, could start short at International. This doesn't appear to be the case.

I think I've worked out the Birmingham New Street fails the fare-check rule. I'll be travelling off-peak, so the off-peak returns are:
Coleshill - Richmond: £51.00
Birmingham NS - Richmond: £51.40
Nuneaton - Richmond: £47.90 (Any permitted, there is also a rte direct, which prevents going via London I think)

As such a Coleshill - Richmond isn't permitted via Birmingham and as such travelling back to International is ruled out, as there is no route from International to Coleshill that doesn't either double back through Coventry or travel through Birmingham.

Is my logic all correct? Is the best way to get validity to International to buy a Coventry - International single?

Any ways to get the cost down from £51? I'm happy to be tied to a train heading south (although I can't see any reasonable advances), but want flexibility coming back. Arrival time 1pm (ish), return no earlier than 8pm.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
Coleshill - 50.40/84.50
Brum - 50.40/84.50
Richmond (London) = RP

You compare singles for the fares check. As the direct single and the single via Birmingham Group are the same Birmingham passes the fares check.

Consequently it's fine to alight at BHI

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Birmingham Passes the fares check as does Nuneaton however Tamworth doesn't, Here are your options:

Valid Routes from Coleshill Parkway [CEH] to Richmond (London) [RMD]:
  1. Direct trains from Coleshill Parkway to Richmond (London)
  2. Shortest Route: 106 miles
    • Coleshill Parkway
    • Nuneaton
    • Rugby
    • Milton Keynes Central
    • Watford Junction
    • Harrow & Wealdstone
    • Kenton
    • South Kenton
    • North Wembley
    • Wembley Central
    • Stonebridge Park
    • Harlesden
    • Willesden Junction
    • Acton Central
    • South Acton
    • Gunnersbury
    • Kew Gardens
    • Richmond (London)
  3. Mapped Routes :
    BIRMINGHAM GROUP - LONDON GROUP:
    LONDON GROUP - Richmond (London):
    BIRMINGHAM GROUP - Richmond (London):
    Nuneaton - LONDON GROUP:
    Nuneaton - Richmond (London):

TP

muug1982

Thanks a lot.

Very strange that NRE doesn't return anything via Birmingham, even when specifying travel via BHI.

SS4

Established Member
Thanks a lot.

Very strange that NRE doesn't return anything via Birmingham, even when specifying travel via BHI.

I get NRE to show journeys via BHM. Perhaps it assumes you will be taking the bus?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I think I've worked out the Birmingham New Street fails the fare-check rule. I'll be travelling off-peak, so the off-peak returns are:
Coleshill - Richmond: £51.00
Birmingham NS - Richmond: £51.40
Nuneaton - Richmond: £47.90 (Any permitted, there is also a rte direct, which prevents going via London I think)

Fares check is only performed with fares of certain ticket types, all of which are for single journeys.

NRG said:
All fares comparisons must be made using one of the following single ticket types:
• Standard Open Single (SOS)
• Standard Day Single (SDS)
• Saver Single (SVS)
• Cheap Day Single (CDS)

Coleshill Parkway - Richmond
Route +Any Permitted
SOS £84.50
SVS £50.40

Birmingham Stns - Richmond
Route +Any Permitted
SOS £84.50
SVS £50.40

Birmingham passes the fares check rule for this journey as the fare from Birmingham Stns is no higher than the fare from Coleshill.

Whether the SVR fare from Coleshill is higher than the Birmingham fare is irrelevant for the purpose of determining permitted routes.

MarkyMarkD

Presumably fares checks are performed using "Any Permitted" routes as well, or should they be done using route-specific fares (if they exist for both the actual journey, and the routeing point journey, I suppose)?

muug1982

Sorry for bumping this back up.

I've got a Birmingham International to Richmond Off Peak Return tomorrow for this journey. Route - Any permitted with Maltese Cross.

Am I right in thinking that I can only travel across London (i.e. Euston - Waterloo / Vauxhall) and not use the tube right through to Richmond, as I'd need a TravelCard to do that?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Sorry for bumping this back up.

I've got a Birmingham International to Richmond Off Peak Return tomorrow for this journey. Route - Any permitted with Maltese Cross.

Am I right in thinking that I can only travel across London (i.e. Euston - Waterloo / Vauxhall) and not use the tube right through to Richmond, as I'd need a TravelCard to do that?

Richmond is listed as a 'cross London' interchange, so you are perfectly at liberty to use LU to get all the way to Richmond if you prefer:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/crossing_london.html#travelling_connect

Status
Not open for further replies.