• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Permitted routes Guildford to London

Status
Not open for further replies.

rratgerg

I have always assumed that travel is valid via Sutton.

But having course to check the routing guide recently, the maps are PD and DK which does not allow travel via Sutton (unless you are on the through train that runs in the evening peak)

Is this correct?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Does Sutton lie on the shortest route between Guildford and London Blackfriars?

higthomas

It isn't the shortest route, that's via Clapham Junction and Denmark Hill, but it is only half a mile longer so it is still valid. (Numbers from http://www.bukitlawang.com/routes/ which isn't entirely accurate, but good enough.)

If one thought this might be a problem one could buy a ticket from Shalford which is pennies more and gives you that validity (if in a technically invalid manner switching from one valid route to another.) It also gives you validity via Redhill.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
If one thought this might be a problem one could buy a ticket from Shalford which is pennies more and gives you that validity (if in a technically invalid manner switching from one valid route to another.) It also gives you validity via Redhill.
I wouldn't say that's just technically invalid; you can't switch from one permitted route to another mid-journey and that is clear. Unless the ticket is a season. But I agree that it is valid by the 3-mile rule, even if not mapped (which I haven't checked).

Status
Not open for further replies.