• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Permitted routes on outboundary season ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brucey

Can anyone clarify which routes are valid for an outboundary season ticket?

I hold Ash Vale to London Zones 1-6, route via Woking.

Do I have to choose routeing to London, or can I choose any boundary station covered by the Travelcard element?

The reason I ask it that I'd like to know whether my ticket can be used via. Guildford then onto Woking? And also whether I could break my journey at Epsom (i.e. is there a route that passes through Epsom)?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kieron

Established Member
According to the planner at nationalrail.co.uk, you can choose any station at all within your travelcard zones for a day travelcard. It doesn't show season tickets, but applying the same rule seems logical to me.

Ash Vale-Guildford-Woking is valid on an Ash Vale-Feltham* ticket (for instance, on maps WW+WV), and so also on an Ash Vale "via Woking" travelcard.
Ash Vale-Woking-Guildford-Epsom is valid on an Ash Vale-Ewell West* ticket (such as on map WW+DK), and so also on your travelcard.

* You may need to delete any nationalrail.co.uk cookies you have for these links to load correctly.

Muzer

Established Member
Historically, I seem to recall the standard advice that used to be provided to this forum by ATOC long ago was that you can choose any station in zone 6 as long as the permitted routes don't pass through another station in the zones before reaching that one. I hadn't realised NRE had its own advice though, so that presumably trumps this!

FenMan

Established Member
Obviously the journey to Guildford is far quicker from nearby North Camp (11 to 13 mins) than the indirect Ash Vale - Aldershot - Guildford route (36 mins or 25 mins with a change at Aldershot).

I will bow to the experts on here but doubt your ticket would be valid for travel from North Camp.

A Challenge

Established Member
You would only need a North Camp to Ash to make a ticket valid Ash Vale to Guildford valid from North Camp, and then in the case of a season ticket the train need not stop at Ash.

Brucey

Thanks for all the replies. Ash is actually closer to home than North Camp (and parking easier) so that option is fine.

You'd have thought (in all these years since privatisation) that the question of "what train can I use my ticket on" would be easier to answer.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Thanks for all the replies. Ash is actually closer to home than North Camp (and parking easier) so that option is fine.

You'd have thought (in all these years since privatisation) that the question of "what train can I use my ticket on" would be easier to answer.
The system has been made far more complex in many respects, especially with the replacement of BR's "reasonable routes" system with the current Routeing Guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.