• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Person hit by a train near Waterloo East

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsr

Established Member
I'm sorry to announce that there has been another incident in which a person has been hit by a train - this time at Waterloo East. It looks like there will be major disruption on SET and FCC this evening (the TL Core is also failing to work as efficiently as it should because trains may not be able to call at London Bridge due to the emergency actions carried out by the electrical control room).

My sympathies are with the staff, emergency services and also any passengers involved.

Lastly, I imagine the traffic backlog will be horrendous, which may sound trivial, but I can assure you it won't be for the staff directing tired and possibly angry customers, nor will it be easy for the customers themselves.

Edit: 30 minute delays and increasing... this incident started some time before 1950hrs.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

causton

Established Member
I would avoid Thameslink (as I would try to normally!) because in addition to this City Thameslink is partially closed due to a problem with the lights... not a good evening for that stretch of the line! :(

As with any of these (very frequent) incidents, sympathies to anyone reading who is involved either with the victim or the recovery of the train service tonight.

ert47

There was quite a lot of confusion around Charing Cross when I was there around 1940. None of the trains from platforms 4-6 were going.

I managed to get on the delayed 1947 to Hayes, was slow through Waterloo East to London Bridge, the incident took place on platform D.

At London Bridge there were some alterations which saw SouthEastern livered trains visiting the terminus platforms.

*Attached photo is of the 2023 Hastings service*

I'd have posted something earlier, but currently cant login to the forums on my phone

Attachments

• DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 143

tsr

Established Member
There was quite a lot of confusion around Charing Cross when I was there around 1940. None of the trains from platforms 4-6 were going.

I managed to get on the delayed 1947 to Hayes, was slow through Waterloo East to London Bridge, the incident took place on platform D.

At London Bridge there were some alterations which saw SouthEastern livered trains visiting the terminus platforms.

I'd have posted something earlier, but currently cant login to the forums on my phone

Very interesting. I wondered if they'd use the LL - I pretty much thought they'd have to, due to the problems on the HL and the necessity to keep the TL Core running.

Class377/5

Established Member

Nice picture, rather rare to see that!

Crossover

Established Member
Another less than good week I think

We had one locally the other day (a member of my family was on the service) - thankfully she also survived (probably helped by it being a service stopping at Dewsbury) - very fortunate though.

I heard the air ambulance was landed on the car park (around the cars!) to the right of the station - very skillfully done

Also quite surprised they were allowed to take the photo. That said, they would have taken it from outside of the station which would have had a view over the station

tsr

Established Member
I heard the air ambulance was landed on the car park (around the cars!) to the right of the station - very skillfully done

Air ambulance and SAR pilots do a fantastic job in incidents like these and many others. They are sometimes forgotten in the heat of things, but there are a number of documentaries available from time to time which will show the general public just how well these crews do, and these are good examples of the work carried out.

Off-topic: You may well know this, but landing in a car park, even with parked cars, is not unheard of by any means - indeed, if there were no high obstacles (trees, lampposts, power lines...), it may well be the safest place to land, especially if the station and car park have been evacuated of members of the public anyway.

Crossover

Established Member
Oh absolutely, the air ambulance do a fantastic job.

I know people who work nearby who saw it landing and told me in detail as to how it landed in the car park in between everything and then took off again (only closing the ring road while they took off)

GNER 91128

Absolutely the wrong place go post this I know but: 24 hours in A&E is hack on Channel 4 on the 16th, a brilliant personalised insight in to trauma medicine at London's King College.

warrior33

This incident was rather surreal, I actually dealt with it first hand. Not within my day to day job but in another capacity altogether, which I do voluntary work for.

Air Ambulance was great and had a quick response. Thing that got to me most was when I was trying to move people up platform A. The human response was more then shallow, I'm all for getting home but when your dealing with an incident such as this, some of the comments coming from people were far from what was needed at the time.

Thanks Causton, I will pass on your words to my regular colleagues, who I'm sure would be appreciative.

Regards,

Warrior

Galvanize

Two Southeastern services made it into the low level side yesterday evening as a result of problems at Waterloo East. 2023 Hastings and the 2053 Hastings.

The 2053 Hastings was completely packed out leaving London Bridge, as presumably it was the first "mainline" service for quite a long time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.