• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Personal favorite train from the 2010s....

Status
Not open for further replies.

class379

I thought this would be interesting to see what peoples' favorite trains are. Only one rule really:
They have to had been introduced to service between 2010-2019

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

43 302

Established Member
Gotta be the 68, combination of old fashioned locomotive sounds with futuristic looks. Favourite loco other than 37s.

causton

Established Member
I would say the Class 230s if they weren't so unreliable. Which is ironic, as I'm going to say the Class 755s. They really are something different!

Runner ups are class 68s definitely.

Sprinter156

My favourite train from the 2010s is the class 380, fast, comfy (in my opinion) and still in good condition since introduction (around December 2010). The only problem I've noticed with them is that there's usually a toilet out of order.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
This is actually quite a challenging question, when I read the thread title my immediate answer was the IETs.

However, I then read the thread and its replies, which reminded me (I've only just had a coffee while browsing the forum, not yet fully awake after NYE! :lol:) of 68s and 380s. I do remember commenting at thw time before I travelled to Scotland about not pointing my camera at a 380, to make sure it didn't break because of the look of a 380 front end :lol:

Of course, that was before I'd even seen one. 2011 was it when they had entered squadron service? I remember being pretty impressed by the 380s when I rode on one to Gourock, and I still think they're pretty good. Not been on one for years though, I really do need to get back to Glasgow!

68s of course, well they're just way too much fun! That noise, especially through the tunnels in Edinburgh, the closest I suspect we'll ever get to a modern version of a 37.

700s, yeah they're good but not my favourite. Can't comment on the likes of 374s, 755s, 385s or 230s as I've not sampled them.

So yeah I don't know. For pure unadultered fun, the 68s are a clear winner, but I'd also have to vote up the GWR IETs.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
If I restrict myself to units I've actually ridden on, then it's a contest between 331s and 374s... so there can only be one winner, and it doesn't come from Spain!

On Moderation
From the point of view of passenger carrying stock, the Rhätische Bahn ABe8/12 “Allegra” sets win hands down.

For the UK it’s Class 68.

87electric

Hopping onto the 2014 Ryder Cup golf specials for the first Class 68 runs. Very memorable.

xotGD

Established Member
Obviously the Class 68. My Lords!

Anyone voting for anything else needs to spend some time at the front droplight on one of the Fife commuter sets and then reassess their response :D

Techniquest

Veteran Member

Ooh yes, they really are nice. I didn't think I'd like them to begin with admittedly but they're a huge improvement on the C and D stock.

Why the love for Mark 5s? Rubbish seats and appalling ride quality. Sounds rather like enthusiast loco=good regardless view of the world!

You must have had a bad run then, because my 3 runs on MK5s have been pretty comfortable, especially for really modern coaching stock. Don't get me wrong, they're not the comfiest seats in the world, but they do the job and I'd happily have the MK5s down my way.

Obviously the Class 68. My Lords!

Anyone voting for anything else needs to spend some time at the front droplight on one of the Fife commuter sets and then reassess their response :D

Been there, done that, and if it was still going I'd also recommend the Banbury commuter set too. 68s really are awesome, no two ways about it, indeed I'm hoping Chiltern's lot behave and produce tomorrow. However I do also like the IETs as an all-round great train.

On Moderation
You must have had a bad run then, because my 3 runs on MK5s have been pretty comfortable, especially for really modern coaching stock. Don't get me wrong, they're not the comfiest seats in the world, but they do the job and I'd happily have the MK5s down my way.

However I do also like the IETs as an all-round great train.
Anyone who thinks IETs are an "all-round great train" immediately has their opinions on rolling stock dismissed as far as I'm concerned!

TFN

Class 707, up there above the 700 because they look stunning in red and the SWR Depot magic shines on them! (More reliable)

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Class 68 no question. I'm a local to the Chiltern Mainline so aim for those services whenever I have to go to Birmingham or London (not just because the 168s are nasty).

For me it's the Class 68s, good to have a proper locomotive hauling passenger trains.

I've also grown rather fond of the 700s. They aren't the most comfortable train but they're very spacious and airy, which I appreciate. Not to mention they're surprisingly quick.

I also quite like the new 710s on the Overground. Improvement over the 378s in my opinion.

I'd second that. At first I didn't like how they were gonna be on ALL the sub surface Underground lines as it would take away from the variety. But I've slowly begun to love them, and now I don't mind the lack of variety.

Wish I could say the same about the 800s...

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I would nominate the Class 92 loco on the Caledonian Sleeper - although they were introduced on freight services much earlier than the 2010s its only in the last decade that there were introduced on passenger services so they should count.

RAPC

I will get shot around these parts for my answer, but here goes....

Class 180s when they were working for Northern on the Blackpool services. Used to have a lovely commute to Manchester in the former 1st class carriages.

woodhouse122

yeah i'll go with class the 68 loco ,great to have ride on a proper loco hauled service .had them on the great yarmouth ,Mayalebone and fife circle trains in the last few years and tried my first journey on the new TPE Mk5 stock from Scarborough to york a few weeks ago .Also living in sheffield i'll go with the class 399 tram trains ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.