• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

PERTIS Machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Out of interest, how many stations/areas still have PERTIS machines at them? IIRC the West Midlands used to be an area with a lot of them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Wimbledon Chase still had a functioning one a couple of weeks ago. Over the past year I've seen them at Walton-on-the-Naze, Maidstone Barracks and Sole Street (out of use I think), and a good few years back at Farningham Road. They are gradually being removed from what I can gather, obviously once a TVM is installed they are obsolete.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Off the top of my head, Syston has a new style one, and Twyford still has an old NSE one.

Oxford also has one connected to the mains power on Platform 1. Not sure whether it is still switched on at all.

Established Member
I'll be in the West Midlands next week, so will probably try and find one.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Wimbledon Chase still had a functioning one a couple of weeks ago. Over the past year I've seen them at Walton-on-the-Naze, Maidstone Barracks and Sole Street (out of use I think), and a good few years back at Farningham Road. They are gradually being removed from what I can gather, obviously once a TVM is installed they are obsolete.

Further to this, a quick rummage through my used tickets also led me to find them for Haydons Road (quite a long time ago alas), and Wye, Frant and Manningtree all within the past year.

Off the top of my head, Syston has a new style one, ...

I also have a new style one for Duffield, so that would fit in.

Deerfold

Veteran Member

I know a few places which used to have one and a TVM. The PERTIS would be switched on when the TVM was out of order.

Established Member
Looks as if there are some still around judging by pictures on Flickr. If anyone knows of any in the Birmingham area, I wouldn't mind making having a visit if I'm nearby.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Off the top of my head, Syston has a new style one, and Twyford still has an old NSE one.

You can add Attenborough, Barrow upon Soar and Sileby to that list as well.

I've been seeing less PERTIS tickets about recently, possibly an indication that the machines are having problems.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Not sure if it has been replaced but I recall seeing one at Hartlebury last year.

Established Member
There is a PDF file on with a list of stations in the Birmingham area, but hasn't been updated since 2004. So bit of trial and error next week.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Looks as if there are some still around judging by pictures on Flickr. If anyone knows of any in the Birmingham area, I wouldn't mind making having a visit if I'm nearby.

Langley Green has one iirc, but only a half-hourly service.

Lrd

Established Member
Millbrook (Hants) and Redbridge (Hants) still have them afaik.

dmacw

They are gradually being removed from what I can gather, obviously once a TVM is installed they are obsolete.

In the case of Twyford, it's also there as the TVM doesn't accept cash (well that was the case last time I was there)

the sniper

Established Member

Off the top of my head, Bescot Stadium, Witton and Stechford definitely have working ones.

SETCommuter

Quite a few in the South East, eg off the top of my head, Dumpton Park, Ramsgate, Minster, Chartham, Chilham.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Quite a few in the South East, eg off the top of my head, Dumpton Park, Ramsgate, Minster, Chartham, Chilham.

You're right, there are loads down that way - Ramsgate doesn't have one though, to be pedantic :)

island

Veteran Member
Some of the stations on the Sheerness branch have them. Also Stone Crossing, although it is out of order most of the time. And there is even one at a London terminal. Answers on a postcard :)

SETCommuter

You're right, there are loads down that way - Ramsgate doesn't have one though, to be pedantic :)

It's been a while since I've paid any attention to be fair. There used to be one at the top of the stairs in the booking office. Always thought it was strange that there was one there given the presence of both ticket offices as well as TVM's.

button_boxer

Established Member
Well no, actually. Only if the TVM sells the exact ticket you want.

If it doesn't I thought the letter of the rules was that you had to buy a ticket to cover part of your journey and then part-exchange it for the ticket you really wanted at the first available opportunity (guard on board, interchange or destination ticket office). Which is fine unless the ticket you want is cheaper than any of the options the machine will sell you, e.g. a short distance PRIV.

Oxford also has one connected to the mains power on Platform 1. Not sure whether it is still switched on at all.

Syston currently has an empty casing covered with a bin bag !

JoeGJ1984

I think Codsall station has one. Smethwick Galton Bridge has one, though it's only for when the ticket office is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.