• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pete Waterman: Network Rail want to stop freight through Piccadilly

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
Knutsford Guardian said:
The chairman of the Cheshire and Warrington local transport body told members at Friday’s meeting a suggestion has been put forward by Network Rail to stop freight trains travelling through Manchester Piccadilly during the daytime.

He said such a policy would force freight from Crewe, Warrington, Liverpool and Trafford Park on to the road – adding to the already-congested M6 and M56.

He said: “This is serious – I think it’s more serious than people realise.

“I think to us the potential impact that would have on our economy going forward is colossal. If suddenly we were to lose freight during the daylight hours it certainly would change completely the way that our economy works.

“The impact of closing freight off during daylight hours is unbelievable, and particularly for road transport it would be catastrophic.

“We’re constantly told by the [city region] mayors of their new green policies which are fantastic, but you can’t have your cake and eat it. You’ll either have clean air and trains, or you are going to have lorries on the road and we’re not going to have clean air.”

Mr Waterman’s warning came just a week after the new figures saw Cheshire and Warrington retain its status as the second-fastest growing economy in the UK – and he fears a policy to take freight off the railway in the daytime would ‘choke’ that growth.

The local transport body is now set to write to Transport for the North to challenge the idea.

Mr Waterman added: “I’ve been told it’s only a suggestion, but if we don’t challenge suggestions they become rules.

“It is going to come down to passengers or freight, and it’s a balancing act. You can’t tip it one way, because the cost of putting more lorries on the M6 or the M56 I don’t think is acceptable to any local transport body.

“I don’t want to see any more lorries on our roads than what we have got. I think that would be a travesty.”

https://www.knutsfordguardian.co.uk...-calls-for-freight-to-be-kept-on-the-railway/

Maybe Network Rail could build platforms 15 and 16 instead or maybe the Sale Metrolink line could be converted back to heavy rail to allow freight to get from the south of England to Trafford Park without needing to use the WCML north of Crewe or go through central Manchester.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Difficult to tell when speculation finishes and official proposals start though...
I think we still only have ideas and speculation. The clues are in the article:
The local transport body is now set to write to Transport for the North to challenge the idea.

Mr Waterman added: “I’ve been told it’s only a suggestion
I agree with you that the existing thread is best used for now.

https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...4-for-freight-any-potential-solutions.175229/

Status
Not open for further replies.