• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Peter Fox RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snapper

Established Member
Please see statement from Platform 5 below

"
It is with great regret that we must inform you of the death of Peter Fox on the afternoon of Tuesday 8th February 2011.

Peter had undergone replacement heart valve surgery in November 2010 and was re-admitted to hospital on Monday 7th February complaining of shortness of breath. Tests revealed that one of his replacement heart valves was not working correctly and a further operation was carried out on Tuesday 8th February to rectify the problem. Sadly, Peter’s heart was already in a very weak state and he never regained consciousness after the operation.

Peter will be sorely missed and our thoughts at this time are with his wife, Doreen, and his children Suzanne, David and Jane and their families.

The details of Peter’s funeral have yet to be finalised. Further information about this will be available from the Platform 5 office shortly.

Platform 5 Publishing"

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theblackwatch

Established Member
As I have posted elsewhere, this is very sad news. His contribution to the hobby following the creation of Platform 5 in the late 1970s cannot be underestimated and I think it shaped the direction many people's interests went and it has probably influenced generations of enthuisiasts since.

Given that we have a few younger members on here, a bit of a background is probably necessary. In the 1970s, Peter and Neil Webster set up 'Platform 5 Publications', producing initially the Motive Power Pocket Book. This gave enthusiasts access to a whole host of new information - it was up to date, accurate and had a whole load of extra info compared to the Ian Allan 'locoshed' book which was a pretty tired and basic publication, a real breath of fresh air - we were finally dragged out of the steam era! Codes used to detail indivdual characteristics of individual locos in the books like 'xei' (dual braked, ETH and boiler isolated!) are still used by people today. Then along came more books including the Steam Loco Pocket Book, Multiple Unit Pocket Book and Coaching Stock Pocket Book, the last of these creating a new interest for many enthusiasts as the information became more readily available. In the 1980s, things went further, with books on Departmental Stock and Track Machines which had previously been pretty much ignored. Then it was European books - I'm sure, had it not been for these publications, many people would not have ventured across the water into other countries. Such became the interest in Europe that Platform 5 even launched Today's Railways Europe in the 1990s.

Sadly Neil Webster passed away just under 10 years ago, age 43 and now the second founder of Platform 5 has joined him. We have a lot to thank them for and I'm sure that the continued production of books and magazines by Platform 5 will ensure he isn't forgotten. Incidentally, the 'Platform 5' name came from the platform at Sheffield where enthusiasts used to converge for the gen on workings on Summer Saturdays in the 'good old days' - info which was often supplied by these two.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Very sad, very suprising news. He was an excellent publisher and writer. I thoroughly agreed with everything he said in TRUK - from his words you could tell he had the railways at heart, the years of dedication and devotion he put into Platform 5 are exceptional. I hope Platform 5 publications and Today's Railways will stay on long after I write this, I think they perfectly illustrate how much he loved railways, and were an excellent indicator of his passion since the early 70s. Rest in peace. My thoughts are with his friwnds, family and those who knew him at this time.

Matt

Its a shame. I have always found the Platform 5 Pocket Books/Combined to be the best.

He will be missed.

Drimnagh Road

Very sad news indeed.

Whilst Today's Railways UK wouldn't be my first choice of railway magazine I did love to read his witty Grumpy Old Man column. RIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.