• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Peterborough Station Yesterday Morning 26/2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GNER 91128

At about 10:12 I was sat half way down platform 2 waiting for the late running 10:01 service to KGX when some complete brainless moron who I suspect had already had a few beers ran from the concourse jumped down on to tracks and up to platform 3 to join the 10:15 FCC. When he got up on to the platform he casually waltzed on to the train. Remarkably the driver nor the EC member of staff on platform 3 saw this individual or if they had done didn't do anything.

I just couldn't get over the stupidity of someone running on to the railway like that so casually!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DownSouth

Established Member
Well if British stations had their platforms at a more appropriate height he could have just looked both ways, stepped to the foot crossing provided, crossed and stepped up to the opposite platform. Just like thousands upon thousands of people in Europe and USA manage to on a daily basis without getting themselves killed

The institution-driven fear of railways in Britain really is a bit silly, educating people to understand them and act confidently seems to work well around the rest of the world. Still, I guess it's too late to change such an entrenched culture.

45689ajax

Well if British stations had their platforms at a more appropriate height he could have just looked both ways, stepped to the foot crossing provided, crossed and stepped up to the opposite platform. Just like thousands upon thousands of people in Europe and USA manage to on a daily basis without getting themselves killed

The institution-driven fear of railways in Britain really is a bit silly, educating people to understand them and act confidently seems to work well around the rest of the world. Still, I guess it's too late to change such an entrenched culture.

Excellent observation on our risk averse, safety culture.

Bungle73

On Moderation

They are at an appropriate height. The height necessary to step onto a train. You will note that in the countries you mentioned you have to use steps to get onto the train, which isn't very customer (or disabled) friendly. I don't know why they have it that way tbh.

If passengers wish to cross the line all they need to do is use the bridge or subway provided.

In any case do we really want to give the general public access to a track like the ECML where highspeed trains could pass through at any minute?

Muzer

Established Member
Only awkward cases is when a station is too small to get its own footbridge, and you have to use a road bridge, especially if you have to walk a long way around. Aside from those cases, there's no problem really, and I much prefer the safety of bridges and underpasses personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.